If T6 5W-40 when specified is out of stock, what options are there?

I have 2017 EcoDiesel. I'm having trouble locating enough T6 for an oil change. Is there an acceptable option? I have seen Valvoline premium blue full synthetic oil.

if it isn't under warranty any CK4 rated 5w40 is going to do the job for the 2017 specs, simply because the modern CK4 oils supercede the CJ4 oils still specced in 2017... ... now if you are bound and determined to find an oil that meet's Mopar's more esoteric specifications , get the Rotella stuff online.

Consider also Quaker State Euro 5w40, it may also be labeled "Ultimate Durability".

Around $24 at Wal-mart.

I would use a MS-12991 spec or A3/B4 spec 5W-40. It'll be superior to CK-4 for not much difference in price.

Mobil 1 FS Euro 5W-40
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
Castrol Edge A3/B4 5W-40

Most here know that I'm not a fan of certifications and the indirect ceilings they put on oil performance. Oils like High Performance Lubricants CK-4 HDMO 5W-40, Amsoil Signature HDMO 5W-40, and Driven DR40 5W-40 would be among the ones I'd be looking at if insisting on sticking with a CK-4 add pack.

Sure, this isn't per the manual. Quite frankly though, if we all simply just followed the manual, why would we be here?

I received an excellent report earlier this week from a 2017 Gen2 using High Performance Lubricants No VII Euro 10W-40.

QSUD Euro does not meet CJ4/CK4 requirements, which is what the Gen2 Ecodiesel now requires.
Technically, it requires a synthetic low-ash oil that meets the Chrysler specification MS-10902, and is also CJ4 certified.

I did not claim QSUD meets CJ4 spec, just corrected the statement that it is only a "Euro gas engine oil," and added that it meets several diesel specs, including the current EcoDiesel specs for the latest gen engine.

OP: you can find online options as well, see here.

Technically, it requires a synthetic low-ash oil that meets the Chrysler specification MS-10902, and is also CJ4 certified.

I did not claim QSUD meets CJ4 spec, just corrected the statement that it is only a "Euro gas engine oil," and added that it meets several diesel specs, including the current EcoDiesel specs for the latest gen engine.

OP: you can find online options as well, see here.
Not sure if you read this, but the language is a little funky:

I am not aware of the MS-10902 spec being low ash; I don't see how Rotella 5W40 fits the definition of a low-ash oil.

The Gen2 and Gen3 requirements are completely different.

Not sure if you read this, but the language is a little funky:

I am not aware of the MS-10902 spec being low ash; I don't see how Rotella 5W40 fits the definition of a low-ash oil.

The Gen2 and Gen3 requirements are completely different.
I did, and thanks for including (might be helpful for others).

Perhaps as far as "heavy-duty diesel" engine oils go, anything below 1% SA is considered low ash?

Indeed, big difference between Gen2 and Gen3, as the latest engine has been "redesigned to be 70+% all new," or so they say. Along with this latest gen, the oil spec was changed as well. I think more concerning is that FCA will not be offering it beyond 2023 models.

The oils that meet this latest spec also carry several Euro approvals, like Porsche A40 and MB229.5 so I wouldn't consider these oils as "not up to the task" for a light-duty passenger diesel engine like the EcoD.

Back