If racers find increased HP with different oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it seem strange to some that passenger cars can benefit the same?

Also, the doubters that one can feel a difference in an engines (especially small 4 bangers) performance and mpg between certain oils make no sense to me. From a "thick" 30w like GC to a "thin" 20W like Torco, there is a noticeable difference. Others will have other examples.

I think there is some noticeable differences and I think there are some that think there is but there isn't. Its like driving your car after it's been washed, I swear it's faster.
grin.gif

Redline and Amsoil S2k in particular have about 1/2 the Coefficient of friction of Mobil 1. I would guess then that these oils will give you maybe 2-3HP more on the dyno and better MPG.
smile.gif

It is a proven fact that certain oils will give you slightly more HP, but it really is only noticeable on a dyno or the track. Professional racers are looking for every available edge.

most professional racers cant even tell the difference with an extra 5hp, so i doubt any of you can. only the numbers on the printout at a racetrack, or dyno would be able to tell. and even then its sketchy, 5hp is basically within the margin of error.

i think what goes on here is alot of placebo effect. you think it is faster, therefore it is.

The only time that I could perceive a substantial difference after an oil change was on my mother's Corsica where her mechanic maitained it by the 1year/25k with filter changes at the recommended mileage with Mobil 1. You could definitely feel the difference with a complete change out. The oil was obviously SHOT. You could also perceive a difference in the trans when Mobil 1 ATF was put in due to delayed engagement problems in sub freezing weather.

A bracket racer friend allegedly got fractionally faster and far more consistant times when he went to synthetic oil. He's not an "oil hype" type (in fact he laughs at my 10 quart capacity on my jeep like I'm installing a tornado or using Zmax) so I don't discount his assertions.

I've been drag racing since around 1991 and with all the different cars I've owned and different modifications I've done, I have found that you need to get about an extra 10hp, or a little bit more than a tenth improvement in your ET before you'll actually feel a noticeable difference on the street. I've done mods which gave me 5hp and just under a tenth on the track, but it felt the same to me. But if I did a mod which gave me a couple of tenths and a couple of mph in trap speeds, it really was noticeable.

Best mod I ever did? Paxton supercharger on my 87 Mustang GT. Before I even fine tuned it, it instantly knocked off a full second from my ET, adding something like 75hp. Man was that a lot of fun! I miss that car! I eventually got it running 12.16 at 112mph.

cool.gif
I think the more highly-tuned an engine is the more difference the oil would make. Most street engines produce a fraction of their potential in exchange for durability so I don't think on most you would notice a difference. My .02.

So let me get this straight. Smaller, low hp and low torque engines are less affected by oil viscosity than high horsepower high cubic inch engines?
shocked.gif
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back