If one had to pick between Pennz, GTX, and Chevron dino....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there probably would not be much of a difference between the three oils and I'm sure this has been asked before in different ways, but which of these oils would most likely give the best wear numbers without thinning too much. I can get these three oils at the same price so I was just wondering what everyons opinions are on these oils. I know GTX does not have the best cold weather properties, but have shown good UOA results regardless. All contain a decent additive package with Moly, so this makes it hard to decide which to use. Any opinions??

Put one container of each in front of you, put on a blindfold, have another person mix up the bottles, grab one, put in engine
grin.gif

Not hard for me. I have been using Castrol products since they used castor bean oil in the racing formula. Used GTX in my TR3 since 1974 and in my Toyota since purchase in 1990 with no major problems. I do feel synthetic oil offers some improvement but have not been able to prove it yet.

I'm using all 3 right now.
grin.gif

Castrol 5W20 in my Escape, Pennzoil HM 5W30 in my "HM" van, and just put Chevron-made Havoline 10W30 in my Altima over the weekend.

I would Probably use the GTX. But I have heard that it Thins out at around 2500 miles, and that Pennzoil has better cold start property.

I've been using GTX in my '87 Grand National since new and now 115K later running strong. Actually, DREW99GT is right on, take a pick, they're all the same as far as your engine is concern, anything else is just theory.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
1). Chevron
2). Pennzoil

and not GTX - its low temp flow isn't up to par with either of the 2 above.

I'd probably go through this list before using GTX

1). Chevron
2). Pennzoil (only if its less than Motorcraft)
3). Motorcraft
4). Quaker State
5). Walmart SuperTech
6). Castrol GTX or Castrol anything - only as a last resort when walmart is completely sold out of everything and all local stores only have GTX left.

Chevron's pour point for 5W-30 is -43C. IIRC Mobil 1 5W-30 is -45C.
bowdown.gif

What are you basing that on? Pour point alone? ya know wear numbers do make a difference. GTX has done prety well in the wear category.

--Matt

[ April 10, 2003, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: mkosem ]

1). Chevron
2). Pennzoil

and not GTX - its low temp flow isn't up to par with either of the 2 above.

I'd probably go through this list before using GTX

1). Chevron
2). Pennzoil (only if its less than Motorcraft)
3). Motorcraft
4). Quaker State
5). Walmart SuperTech
6). Castrol GTX or Castrol anything - only as a last resort when walmart is completely sold out of everything and all local stores only have GTX left.

Chevron's pour point for 5W-30 is -43C. IIRC Mobil 1 5W-30 is -45C.
bowdown.gif

According to the VOA, Pennzoil Long Life has a nice dose of Moly and some pretty decent ZDDP numbers!!!

Chevron Supreme without a doubt. Super stuff and about .50 per quart cheaper. The savings will pay for a SuperTech oil filter
grin.gif

My vote goes for Pennzoil higher viscosity 8.6 cSt at 100C versus 8.0 cSt at 100C for the chevron supreme plus it has a nice dose of moly.

what do u think of exxon superflow oils local pep boys has it for 79 cents per quart is this decent oil i change every 3500 to 4000 miles

I'd pick between the Pennzoil and the Chevron. All three are probably close but I'd give the nod to the Pennzoil & Chevron base oils being more shear stable and the latest Chevron samples have showed high borate additives ... all for $1.08 per quart.

Like others here, there are a lot of little things I don't like about Castrol in general ... easily enough to tip the balance between these three more-than-competent contenders.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back