if oil EXCEEDS manufact. specs.................

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in a local Wally World and was of course at the oil asile and saw 1 gallon jugs (5 qts) of M1 0w-30. According to th einfo on the bottle, it exceeds Fords, Gms, Hondas, and Toyota specs and recommendations. Toyota recommends 5w-30 for my Venza. Would I or anyone else in a similiar situation have any problems if I ran the green cap M1 instead of the 5w-30????? I don't want to void my warranty but if the oil exceeds what they say put in; i'd think i'd be ok. What are ya'lls thoughts? Would just like the best MPG possible---VenzaTRD

Can't imagine that you'd have any noticeable improvement in mileage between 5W30 and 0W30 in a southern climate in the winter, let alone in the summer. But if you find some on sale then I don't think it would hurt to pick it up.

Originally Posted By: VenzaTRD
I was in a local Wally World and was of course at the oil asile and saw 1 gallon jugs (5 qts) of M1 0w-30. According to th einfo on the bottle, it exceeds Fords, Gms, Hondas, and Toyota specs and recommendations. Toyota recommends 5w-30 for my Venza. Would I or anyone else in a similiar situation have any problems if I ran the green cap M1 instead of the 5w-30????? I don't want to void my warranty but if the oil exceeds what they say put in; i'd think i'd be ok. What are ya'lls thoughts? Would just like the best MPG possible---VenzaTRD

Unlike standard oil industry approvals, where an oil can get a grade by being within a range of criteria, OEM-approved oils use a set of standards that have been tested on your vehicle and been proven to work. Never heard of a company that uses the term "exceeds" that spent the money to have an OEM test its oil only to receive a letter that says, "We're sorry but your product is too good, we can't offer you approval."

That being said, the 0w30 probably would not hurt.

I used it in my Toyota Sienna with great results.

It's great oil and you may see a very slight improvement in fuel mileage.

Notice that it is not saying "recommended for". This means it has actually been tested and meets the specs listed and not simply "recommended for" applications requiring that spec.

OVERK1LL I have a bottle of M1 5w20 that has the words "Suitable for" on it!
wink.gif

Well, if Mobil clean 5000 5W30 meets a spec then M1 0W30 probably would exceed that spec due to superior base stock, add pack and cold flow.

Let's say you are taking a class and have a test scheduled. The instructor tells the class that the minimum passing grade (i.e. meeting the spec) is 75%. You take the test and get a 90%, exceeding the spec. Would the instructor expel you from the class?

Originally Posted By: VenzaTRD

Use it with confidence. Ive used it in my 3.4L Tacoma...didnt notice any difference in gas milage. I got enough left for one more oil change which will be this fall. After that ill be going back to GC. The crazy thing is that eventhough GC is thicker both oils didnt increase or decrease gas milage.

Well they are the same price at my Wally...so no worry about price. Both are $22 for a gallon (5 qts)....it $6 something a quart for either though! :O Hmm. Yea I was hoping for 1-2 MPG better gas mileage....but now I've been thinking M1 only claims maybe a 2% increase in fuel mileage with Advanced Fuel Mileage. So I get about 20 Mpg in town. That would only equate to .4 mpg...almost half a mile better mileage. Not a lot....but again being that they are the same price I may give it a whirl. Thanks guys for all the replies---VenzaTRD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
OVERK1LL I have a bottle of M1 5w20 that has the words "Suitable for" on it!
wink.gif

Which would be the same as "recommended for". What spec is it "suitable for" ?

It has the API certified SM logo on it in the bottom right and then the descriptor on the back at the top it says "Suitable for ILSAC-GF4 requirements ... blah blah blah ..."

Just because Mobil 1 exceeds API and auto-manufacturer specs, it means absolutely nothing unless it is approved by Ashland.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Just because Mobil 1 exceeds API and auto-manufacturer specs, it means absolutely nothing unless it is approved by Ashland.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Mark888
LOL.gif

LOL.gif

Rumor has it Exxon Mobil is putting a bid in for Valvoline and will ax the marketing department if they buy the company
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Rumor has it Exxon Mobil is putting a bid in for Valvoline and will ax the marketing department if they buy the company
spankme2.gif

That sounds like 4x better of a rumor than Mobil being mostly GRP-III!
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back