If it only had a key, neat project car for high school student, 2008 Volvo C70 $425 ($743 after fees) a BIN at auction, Columbia SC

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Clean titled, repossessed 2008 Volvo C70 at auction. Appears to be a southern car. Interior needs to be completely redone. At $425, about $50 for those that graduated high school in the late 70s/ early 80s. Not many great cars for $50 back then.

Buy It Now= BIN, this vehicle has a BIN of $425. With fees, $743 out the door.

Only issue- no key. I suspect the key might be a killer in price. Causes a bunch of other issues, such as a required towing from the salvage yard. Nonetheless, with a key- a likely fun project for a high school student's first car.

My first car was a 1971 Mercury Capri, burnt more oil than gas, I paid $175 in 1980. Learned quite a bit from that German made Capri.

resizer.jpg

Dragging a car out from the curb so the repo man can get it up his flatbed, or whatever brutish method was used in the glamorous world of repo, could damage suspension parts too.

Keys come from dealerships via the VIN so simply storing the car a few days ($?) and returning with a key might be easy.

Why does the interior need to be completely redone? Stories of "fecal sabotage" greeting the repo man are rife.

Dragging a car out from the curb so the repo man can get it up his flatbed, or whatever brutish method was used in the glamorous world of repo, could damage suspension parts too.

Keys come from dealerships via the VIN so simply storing the car a few days ($?) and returning with a key might be easy.

Why does the interior need to be completely redone? Stories of "fecal sabotage" greeting the repo man are rife.
The repo man more likely than not towed the Volvo from the front, one can see the tow hook cover missing from the front bumper.

Passenger seat looks hideous, I can only imagine the driver seat. I suspect the entire interior should be removed, carpet cleaned, foam in seats replaced, and new car seat covers. Not thinking fecal matter being a factor- but one never knows.

Dealerships on many vehicles won't/ can't provide a key with a registration in name. And a Mercedes won't cut a key without a registration and vehicle present. That is the only reason I can see this vehicle is not a strong buy. I don't know Volvo's policy on key cutting, but I suspect it is more in line with Mercedes than with Dodge.

So one has to get the car titled and registered before one can get a key (in many cases).

resizer (1).jpg

The window being stuck down without a key probably made this thing a Petri dish. Who knows if it runs? Maybe they let it go to repo because it had some major mechanical issue? Maybe the top was down when they repo’d it and that is why the interior looks like crap? Maybe they broke something trying to get the top up and that’s why the headliner is hanging down? @GON you surely like to gamble more than I do. Maybe if it were local to me but hard pass given the points I laid out.

Another thing I noticed, the right front tire is turned inward, the left front looks to be pointing straight ahead. Edit-after further review on the 360 exterior, looks like both wheels are turned to the left. @GON theres a 360 interior viewer in the link you provided, looks like a lot of stuff was piled up on the back seats as well as the fronts looking disgusting.

The tow hook cover I believe you are referencing looks like the left headlamp washer to me.

Reactions: GON
The window being stuck down without a key probably made this thing a Petri dish. Who knows if it runs? Maybe they let it go to repo because it had some major mechanical issue? Maybe the top was down when they repo’d it and that is why the interior looks like crap? Maybe they broke something trying to get the top up and that’s why the headliner is hanging down? @GON you surely like to gamble more than I do. Maybe if it were local to me but hard pass given the points I laid out.
RH,

High school kid's project. If the car is not salvageable, the cats are likely worth $600. I have found repos to be extremely poorly maintained, but not having a major transmission or engine failure. But always a possibility.

I play with salvage vehicles instead of watching Netflix or sports, we all have our preferences. I almost always get burned on my first salvage purchase of a typical make/ model. But with what I learn on being burned, allows me to do significantly better on the next purchase of the same make/ model.

Just something fun. If I still had kids at home, we would be doing this as a project for their first car.

RH,

High school kid's project. If the car is not salvageable, the cats are likely worth $600. I have found repos to be extremely poorly maintained, but not having a major transmission or engine failure. Buy always a possibility.

I play with salvage vehicles instead of watching Netflix or sports, we all have our preferences. I almost always get burned on my first salvage purchase of a typical make/ model. But with what I learn on being burned, allows me to do significantly better on the next purchase of the same make/ model.

Just something fun. If I still had kids at home, we would be doing this as a project for their first car.
Oh definitely, don’t think I was criticizing your hobby, just pointing out some things I saw. I love your auction posts and having worked as an insurance adjuster in the past I know there’s some gems to be had.

Reactions: GON
Good catch on the headlamp washer cover instead of the tow hook cover, and also great catch on the passenger window being half down being the cause of the damaged passenger seat. You have a good eye- I might be asking you to take a second look at some of the vehicles I have on my radar.

huh.. the no key thing is odd to me... I used to date a girl whose parents did repos....
they would often be given a key before they went to acquire the vehicle... IE: the bank would have one made and send it to them.

granted this was in the early 2000's, and they didn't have one of today's fancy repo trucks that you could just back up in front of the car and clamp on to the front wheels and drag the car away..
they had to rely on old school tricks to get into cars. (her dad was a reformed car thief...now doing it legally)

huh.. the no key thing is odd to me... I used to date a girl whose parents did repos....
they would often be given a key before they went to acquire the vehicle... IE: the bank would have one made and send it to them.

granted this was in the early 2000's, and they didn't have one of today's fancy repo trucks that you could just back up in front of the car and clamp on to the front wheels and drag the car away..
they had to rely on old school tricks to get into cars. (her dad was a reformed car thief...now doing it legally)
Making a key for later model cars is nothing like making a key from days gone bye.

Clean titled, repossessed 2008 Volvo C70 at auction. Appears to be a southern car. Interior needs to be completely redone. At $425, about $50 for those that graduated high school in the late 70s/ early 80s. Not many great cars for $50 back then.

Only issue- no key. I suspect the key might be a killer in price. Causes a bunch of other issues, such as a required towing from the salvage yard. Nonetheless, with a key- a likely fun project for a high school student's first car.

My first car was a 1971 Mercury Capri, burnt more oil than gas, I paid $175 in 1980. Learned quite a bit from that German made Capri.

Did you get to replace the plastic timing gear on that capri? I replaced many in my teens and 20's.

Did you get to replace the plastic timing gear on that capri? I replaced many in my teens and 20's.
No, didn't have a timing gear issue that I recalled. I upgraded the Capri to a 1972 El Camino with a floor console, swivel bucket seats. The El Camino had a huge hot in the quarter panel, that is where I learned bondo and sanding is quite a skill........

I've had far too much Volvo experience to recommend this purchase.
That key issue alone can be a costly experience.

At best, that car would make a decent parts donor.
Mercedes owners have a work around for no key in a high tech world, that does not require a dealer or skilled mechanic. It requires replacing the shifter, key, and two other parts from a donor car. These "sets" are always for sale on Ebay around $500, I suspect they can be had for less than half of that.

Imagine your high school Son or Daughter going into their keyless vehicles, and having to replace for significant components, including the transmission shifter, to get their car operational. All very doable and quite a education.

Here is a example of the workaround for a Mercedes with no key, and not needing a dealer.

2003-2006 MERCEDES W220 S500 4Matic ECM ECU IGNITION SWITCH KEY EIS SHIFTER

You can use those jacking wheel dollies to slide a car sideways. For repo men, time is money though, gotta get the car moving before the mouth-breathers come complaining about losing their ride to 7-11 for ciggs.

Dealers not cutting a key without a registration is just a scam where they're fleecing curbstoners because it's breathing on their own business.

View attachment 149538
75% fees! They are pretty insane on fees at that place.

Back