If I used Mobil 1...

Status
Not open for further replies.
IARC has also published, as Supplement 7, a volume entitled "Overall Evaluation of Carcinogenicity: An Updating of IARC Monographs Volumes 1 to 42". In this Supplement, and in monographs 43 onward, chemicals have been classified in the following groups:

Group 1 -- The Working Group concluded that the listed agents are carcinogenic to humans.

Group 2A -- The Working Group concluded that the listed agents are probably carcinogenic to humans.

Group 2B -- The Working Group concluded that the listed agents are possibly carcinogenic to humans.

Group 3 -- The Working Group concluded that the listed agents are not classifiable as to their carcinogenicity to humans.

Group 4 -- The Working Group concluded that the listed agent is probably not carcinogenic to humans.

I see it as a mixture of 1-Decene,Homopolymers,and Hydrogenated base oils that totals 55-65 percent of the wt by volume and the omitted actual amount of 1-Decene thus a blend of some kind riding on the FTC deal that allowed a group III to be call a "full" synthetic which is just plain wrong. So no,they can put a small amount odf PAO in a group III base and still call it a "full" synthetic. The last I am certain about,what the actual Quaker State is I am not 100 percent certain. Maybe others can help more.

I don't see a percentage of hydrogenated base oils.

1-decene homopolymer, hydrogenated refers to the PAO base stock. 55-65% PAO. Someone else on this board referred to this (1-decene homopolymer, hydrogenated) as a VERY GOOD PAO.

Just look at the CAS#. That's not a mixture of dino juice and a small percentage of PAO - if it was, QS would not list a CAS# for a "mixture"

BTW I thought it was Group 3 at first until MolaKule or someone else mentioned that the 1-decene.... was in fact a very good PAO base stock.

I tried searching for the CAS # but came up empty. If you can find the components for the CAS# listed, it'd be helpful. I'm limited to free MSDS searches.

quote:

Dunno. I would not expect that sheet to be the same a year from now anyway with the buyout in mind.

True. I got the info I needed for using Mobil 1 in my car (when to change etc) but since this discussion started to get deeper I just wanted to add my 2 cents in that if lowly QS uses 55-65% PAO in its synth oils, why would any other reputable oil company not use a large percentage of PAO.

Its understood that most "synth" oils still use convention carrier oils like Mobil 1 ATF.

Maybe after the buyout it'd be even better for Pennzoil/QS. Who knows.

Well most companies are that way,take the Mobil Drive Clean Blend for example. The MSDS does not really show what amount of PAO is in it either.

You may be correct about this oil. It may be a full PAO but I doubt it. You could call them and ask,may or may not get a straight answer? I would make certain this is a oil available in the USA though.

Our Pennzoil Employed member has posted previously about the fact that Quaker State used to make a PAO oil and now it has been dropped. So hopefully he will see this and answer your question

This MSDS may be outdated, I can't confirm it though.

I've requested updated info directly from Pennzoil-Quaker STate on their synthetic oils.

As I stated before, I got the MSDS for the non-Euro Spec 5W-40 synthetic oil.

Their synonysms are the 5/30 5/50 10/30 oils dated 7-16-2002

It is VERY unlikely the 5/50 to anything other than a group III oil

Give them a call,tell them you have used Quaker State for 20 years and if they don't answer your questions,you are changing brands! Gets em everytime :)He He! I doubt they even care,just a job. If I worked for a oil company answering the phones,I would lay it all out! Might not have a job long though

[ October 02, 2002, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

I wish I worked for an oil company answering phones! That would be a cool job! I'd just get to talk about oil all day long! But then again, that's basically what I do now, but on the internet instead.
smile.gif

I e-mailed tech support about my choice of 0W40.

I own a 1996 Chevrolet Impala SS with a stock LT1 5.7L V8. The car is out of warranty, and I am interested in getting the longest life out of the engine. I am currently running Mobil 1 0W40. I would like to know what viscosity would be recommended for longest life of the engine. I live in Houston and drive the car in pretty severe stop and go driving about 50-60% of the time with 300+ mile trips the remainder of the time. I occasionally(once a month, tops) drag race and AutoX. Redline for the engine is a rev limited 5700 RPM.

Regards,
Wayne Bengston

They answered;
Mobil1 0W40 is a very good choice for your application and the type of driving conditions that your vehicle experiences.

You should try emailing them the same info again, but change your name and change the viscosity that you've chosen to 5w30, then 10w30, then 15w50, and see what they respond with!
smile.gif
It may just be a "cookie cutter" answer they give to everyone.

Agreed.

I should do that, I have a 2000 Ford Crown Victoria with a Ford 4.6L SOHC V8 revlimited to 6100 RPM. It is still under warranty but who gives a cra*.
smile.gif

I do 8 mile stop and go trips, with occaisonal 150+ mile highway trips. I drive a maximum of 8000 miles a year. The engine is stock, but its got a few bolt-on mods. I live in NJ where the winters can reach 0F, and the summers can reach 110F.

I'm currently using 5W-30, what weight would you suggest I use?

0W40. Apart from D1 its their best oil. TS version exceptional on a Timken. I should have acess to the SS version today if Mobil distributor gets his 1st shipment in. Will get it tested ASAP and report.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I'd like to see wear stats also - but performed on a variety of different engines and not performed/sponsored by manufacturers.

IIRC COnsumer Reports did a test on a multitude of fleet taxis using dino oil and synthetic oil over a course of something like 100,000 miles.

The end result was that there was no significant different in engine wear using one oil over the other.
confused.gif

I belive that if you reread that article you will find that they only tested 3 engines ....2 of them had mechanical ,non oil related failures and the third was in the same shape as the other dino oiled engines...but the synthetic oil was run twice as long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back