if i take my truck to gm for oil change, will they grease all of the front end?

i believe my truck has like 11-12 grease fittings on the front end and i am 99.9% sure the people at the gm dealership never grease them up. seems like it should be included with an oil change. so ill be going to an oil change soon and do you guys know if greasing is included? or do i have to book a different service so they grease everything? and how do i even know if they grease everything in the end? like i can see the ball joints but its hard to see idler and pitman etc

My local GM dealer speaks to oil change and tire rotation. I would assume lube is now extra. I would call your dealer/servicer and ask beforehand.

Another point on the topic is that sometimes with vehicles that have components that normally do not have a grease fitting, a component will be replaced other a component that does have a fitting and requires greasing. This common with tie rod ends and sway bar links. It’s important you note that to the service writer.

I work at a Ford dealership and that is suppose to be done on every oil change service. That's why it's LOF lube, oil and filter. If it's not done it's due to a lazy tech or as Snagglefoot put they miss it because they're not searching for a grease fitting on a non OE part like a u joint.

They won't do anything you don't ask them to do unless you're paying extra, if that, if correctly.

Firstly, it would be good if you knew EXACTLY how many fittings you have. My 2008 Chev 3/4 to Suburban has 11. ( that’s one more than 10, for Spinal Tap fans.) That way you can mention the number to the service writer and have him put it down, rather than relying on the mechanic to search them out and quit at number 9.

i believe my truck has like 11-12 grease fittings on the front end and i am 99.9% sure the people at the gm dealership never grease them up. seems like it should be included with an oil change. so ill be going to an oil change soon and do you guys know if greasing is included? or do i have to book a different service so they grease everything? and how do i even know if they grease everything in the end? like i can see the ball joints but its hard to see idler and pitman etc
You should direct this question upon them. They should do whatever you ask them to do. I always thought (LOF) lube, oil, filter was the gold standard.

I always thought (LOF) lube, oil, filter was the gold standard.
20+ years ago, yeah. How many cars still have greasable components (from the factory) ? Yes, I realize trucks likely still do but unlike decades ago when both cars and trucks had them, it was standard to do.

You should specifically request that they do it, and check afterwards. The fittings should be clean with maybe a little fresh grease on them. If there is just a bunch of fresh grease all over the fitting, it may be blocked and the new grease didn't get in.

Some oil changers will always grease fittings, most probably never do it and don't know where the grease gun is. Here, your chances are about 50/50 of it being done without specifically requesting it depending on who is working. One guy always does, the other never does.

As mentioned-it seems a phone call to the service department is your best way to get an answer. Every answer you get on here will be pure speculation-

When I'm lazy, I take my Grease Gun with me to the Indy Mech at Inspection Time.
I ask him to do it and say, "use my Grease Gun"
I only have two grease fittings (U-joints).

If I had 11 grease fittings (or less), I'd get under the vehicle with a can of 'red' spray paint and mark there locations.
That way there's less chance of 1 or 2 not getting greased.

You can tell they greased by seeing where they wiped the grime off the zerk, and there'll usually be a little "tail" of grease sticking out that'll wash off in a day.

The pragmatist in me says tip your tech a few bucks and point out your aftermarket whatevers that need grease. Even if the stock ones do too, it'll save face/ arguments by pretending it's the first time he's seen them there.

Of course you don't know what grease they'll use, could be red low-moly wheel bearing grease that's better than nothing but not better than chassis grease.

Back