If I change Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W30 every 5K I should have no problems, right??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like the general consensus of this board is that I should have NO PROBLEMS changing out Mobil 1 every 5K with an OEM Honda filter. Would everyone agree 5K intervals with Mobil 1 is extrememly conservative?

Are there any Mobil 1 UOA's out there with 5K intervals in cold climates?

Keep in mind I live in Grand Forks, ND. Does cold weather degrade synthetic oil like dino juice?

'Nole,

I'm a skeptic
rolleyes.gif
. If you tend to drive enough to get the engine up to operating temp (more than 10 miles) on most cold starts and it is above 50 degrees and you seldom do stop and go or drive above 70mph, then you might be OK. If those conditions don't apply then I'd start at no more than 3.5K, do a UOA and if it looks good go to 4, same thing and then finally, if the UOAs support it, to 5K. I've heard the explanations surrounding the durability of synthetics and I use them myself...I also know what is happening in Europe...I believe there is as much politics as engineering in the extended drain interval idea...I'm just not totally convinced synthetics are as "durable" as some would tell you. I welcome learning differently, but as one who keeps cars double digit years and over 100K, I want to be certain.

My two cents...but I hope it is worth more than that to you...

Regards.

quote:

I'm just not totally convinced synthetics are as "durable" as some would tell you.

It's a fact that Synthetics are more durable then regular oil. 5k is no problem for a good syn. lube unless there is something mechanically wrong with the engine. Synthetics are NOT as Durable as companies like Amsoil suggest. Amsoil recently changed there website layout under the product seletcion section and they have 35,000 or 1yr drains at the top. This is misleading and ignorant on there part. Anyone who says otherwise either works for Amsoil or hasn't done a UOA on there oil.

[ July 06, 2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back