If Given a Choice?

Messages
28
Location
Oklahoma
If U only had 2 choices for Synthetic Oil. Just these 2 brands. (No others). For a everyday driver. (No Racing envolved.) 25% Highway-75% intown driving (Stop and Go) A. Mobil 1 B. Amsoil Please just pick either one of these. If U wouldnt chose either one of these just dont comment. I would like as much feed back on this as possible. Thanks Fellas.
 
Messages
2,602
Location
The Tropics of Antartica
Mobil [Smile] 19 bucks for a 5quart jug cause I'm a price vs performance kinda guy and will NOT spin an oil filter off mid interval ...just my opinion [Razz] [ May 28, 2004, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]
 
Messages
289
Location
US
M1 got my vote, easily accessible and cheap.... i personally have been using M1 with 3k mile changes with 99% city/heavy traffic driving.
 
Messages
2,768
Location
Tn
Since I don't know what kind of car you have and how much mileage you typically put on, it won't really be fair for me to say. That could tip the balance either way.
 
Messages
960
Location
Maryland, USA
I would pick M1, which can be purchased at WalMart or Costco with less than US $4.00 a quart. I have used it for many years with 3k mile oil changes, and am happy with its performance.
 
Messages
47,791
Location
Everson WA - Pacific NW USA
With your given info. most here will pick M1. I would like to see car, engine, OCI's and other details. I obviously pick Amsoil, not because there is anything wrong with M1, but because it's not that expensive for me, my cars like the oil on the higher side of a vis range, it fits my engines and OCI's to a T with very low wear, and the oil holds up in my conditions without thickening or breaking down.
 
Messages
8,937
Location
SC
Mobil 1. The current Mobil 1 SuperSyn is, IMO, a better oil (regardless of price) than Amsoil. It has a more advanced additive package than Amsoil, and a more advanced base oil blend. When you throw price and availability into the equation, it's really a no-brainer. You can run down to Wal-Mart and buy any grade of Mobil 1 and they are all cheaper than Amsoil.
 
Mobil 1 for the following reasons 1. Both vehicles are new and under warranty so I want/need the donut API. 2. Mobil 1 cost less. 3. Mobil 1 is real easy to find. 4. Based on used oil analysis both engines that I own Nissan 3.5 V6 and Toyota 4.7 V8. The results were great for both engines using the Mobil 1 10w30 and 5000-7000 mile oil and filter changes that will keep my warranty. 5. The Mobil 1 is over kill since I will trade both vehicles before I reach 90K miles so why spend more for Amsoil to "maybe" make them last longer for the next owner. I think Amsoil is a great oil and might switch to it in both vehicles in another 60K miles.
 
Messages
2,768
Location
Tn
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man II: Mobil 1. The current Mobil 1 SuperSyn is, IMO, a better oil (regardless of price) than Amsoil. It has a more advanced additive package than Amsoil, and a more advanced base oil blend. When you throw price and availability into the equation, it's really a no-brainer. You can run down to Wal-Mart and buy any grade of Mobil 1 and they are all cheaper than Amsoil.
I've been using 10W-30 M1 and just bought some ATM 10W-30. Wow, I spent more for a lesser product. [Duh!] [Duh!]
 

Ghillie

Thread starter
Messages
28
Location
Oklahoma
Thanks for all Your replies: Just for those that asked. I own and my wife. 1. 88 GMC 1/2ton 350cu 128K miles. 2. 82 Cj-7 Jeep 4.2L 258cu in. inline 6. 120K miles. 3. 04 Isuzu Axiom 3.5L V6 direct injection 250hp. All of these get serviced. once before summer-10w-30 M1 once before winter-5w-30 M1 Air filter change once a year (before winter). All autos run very well. Dont have any plans on getting rid of them anytime soon. Thats why the question. Just want the best protection that I can get. M1 and Amsoil are the 2 oils that I have access too. The GMC and the Jeep will barely see 10K miles a year. The Axiom on the other hand might see 10 to 15K miles a year. Just for what its worth.
 
Messages
72
Location
Chicago
quote:
Originally posted by Ghillie: If U only had 2 choices for Synthetic Oil. Just these 2 brands. (No others). For a everyday driver. (No Racing envolved.) 25% Highway-75% intown driving (Stop and Go) A. Mobil 1 B. Amsoil Please just pick either one of these. If U wouldnt chose either one of these just dont comment. I would like as much feed back on this as possible. Thanks Fellas.
Mobil 1. I usually mix 5 quarts 10w30 with 2 quarts 15w50 as I do a lot of racing with a C% Corvette. I would just like to see Amsoil go away. I am sick of people that post Amsoil hyper marketing junk in every thread that has the slightet thing to do with oil over on corvetteforum.com Also resent hearing about how everything they make is vastly superior to all other products. That being said I think the Amsoil folks here show remarkable restraint in comparison. Finally, I love being able to go into Sam's or WalMart and pay around $4 a quart.
 
Messages
72
Location
Chicago
quote:
Originally posted by Richin Chicago:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghillie: If U only had 2 choices for Synthetic Oil. Just these 2 brands. (No others). For a everyday driver. (No Racing envolved.) 25% Highway-75% intown driving (Stop and Go) A. Mobil 1 B. Amsoil Please just pick either one of these. If U wouldnt chose either one of these just dont comment. I would like as much feed back on this as possible. Thanks Fellas.
Mobil 1. I usually mix 5 quarts 10w30 with 2 quarts 15w50 as I do a lot of racing with a C5 Corvette. 41,000 miles with a ton of track use and still dynos 316 HP. I have never done a UOA. I would just like to see Amsoil go away. I am sick of people that post Amsoil hyper marketing junk in every thread that has the slightet thing to do with oil over on corvetteforum.com Also resent hearing about how everything they make is vastly superior to all other products. That being said I think the Amsoil folks here show remarkable restraint in comparison. Finally, I love being able to go into Sam's or WalMart and pay around $4 a quart.

 
Messages
72
Location
Chicago
quote:
Originally posted by Richin Chicago:
quote:
Originally posted by Richin Chicago:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghillie: If U only had 2 choices for Synthetic Oil. Just these 2 brands. (No others). For a everyday driver. (No Racing envolved.) 25% Highway-75% intown driving (Stop and Go) A. Mobil 1 B. Amsoil Please just pick either one of these. If U wouldnt chose either one of these just dont comment. I would like as much feed back on this as possible. Thanks Fellas.
Mobil 1. I usually mix 5 quarts 10w30 with 2 quarts 15w50 as I do a lot of racing with a C5 Corvette. 41,000 miles with a ton of track use and still dynos 316 HP and uses no oil with exception of track drving. I have never done a UOA. I would just like to see Amsoil go away. I am sick of people that post Amsoil hyper marketing junk in every thread that has the slightet thing to do with oil over on corvetteforum.com Also resent hearing about how everything they make is vastly superior to all other products. That being said I think the Amsoil folks here show remarkable restraint in comparison. Finally, I love being able to go into Sam's or WalMart and pay around $4 a quart.


 
quote:
Originally posted by Ghillie: Thanks for all Your replies: All of these get serviced. once before summer-10w-30 M1 once before winter-5w-30 M1
Just wondering why you don't use Mobil 1 10w30 year round, it's a better oil. How often does the temps in your area get below "0".
 
Top