IE8 painfully slow on BITOG due to ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything I can do? my keyboard repeat rate goes very slow when the shaeffer's ad and the up and down piston is showing. all animated icons also slow down.

(not looking for "use firefox" advice pls)

http://www.opera.com/

Free, safer and faster then Internet Exploder
thumbsup2.gif

IE8 caused my system to freeze. I had to switch back to IE7, which works fine for me.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
So IE doesn't have an ad blocker??

No, there isn't one built in. You have to use a filtering proxy, and those are difficult to add new rules to.

The original poster already knows one solution -- use Firefox with AdBlockPlus.

I find animation extremely distracting. I'll put up with a flashing advertisement if I'm reading something short that doesn't require much thought. For deeper content I'll take a few seconds to add an AdBlockPlus rule so I'll never have to see the ad again.

Marketing people like to claim that every "brand impression" is positive. I'm pretty sure they could buy the Enron brand name for cheap if they really believed that. And there likely is an opportunity to rent the Yugo brand name for oil...

What OS, and do you have "Compatibility Mode" on?

This site has worked fine for me in Windows 7 with IE8 and Vista on IE8.

AdblockIE is in it's infancy, but it looks it will be a free option for IE ad blocking.

I do agree with the others though, Firefox and AddBlock Plus. Free & it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back