IE 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father in law has it on his cpu. I absolutely HATE it.
I downloaded Mozilla Firefox on his cpu a few weeks ago and he's been using it ever since.

I don't even have IE on my cpu at home anymore.

I too like it better than IE 7. That said, I like Firefox even more!

The IE 8 update, seems to have eliminated the blank page hang-up I had been experiencing when using Explorer.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Auto update dowloaded IE8. Any downside to installing it?
I downloaded it and I run it for my webmail access at work that doesn't work properly under FireFox and it seems fine. It is a bit faster I noticed.
thumbsup2.gif

I despise it. I have it on my workstation and it rarely displays pages correctly(forms and buttons are so microscopic even in compatibility mode.) It's slow, Chrome and Firefox are better options IMO. IE died when version 6 was left rotting without any new improvements for several years.

I always use Firefox, but the wife prefers IE ... when I updated to IE8, she had issues with some web sites (countrywide was the main one) not working properly. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: sprintman
Auto update dowloaded IE8. Any downside to installing it?

Yes. IE8.
LOL.gif

Reminds me of the joke: "There are rumors that if you play the Windows install disk backward, you'll hear satanic messages. That's nothing... If you play if forward, it installs Windows!"

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
... "There are rumors that if you play the Windows install disk backward, you'll hear satanic messages. That's nothing... If you play if forward, it installs Windows!"

crackmeup2.gif

The only thing IE is good for (for me) is accessing Outlook Web Access. They lock a lot of the features (e.g. flagging messages, drag and drop) so that they only work on IE.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
The only thing IE is good for (for me) is accessing Outlook Web Access. They lock a lot of the features (e.g. flagging messages, drag and drop) so that they only work on IE.
That's what I was talking about above... Can't be done in Firefox. Not even the drag/drop!
mad.gif

All microsoft thrashing aside, it's a very bad piece of software. IE7 is better, IMO. Maybe wait a couple of months for it to mature in the wild, then put it on your machine. That's what I'm doing. I have it on one machine - this one in fact. It's slower than 7. Of course all I use it for is running updates. Firefox 3 is a very nice alternative.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
That's what I was talking about above... Can't be done in Firefox. Not even the drag/drop!
mad.gif

The next version of Microsoft's email system, Exchange, will offer the same drag & drop browser experience outside of IE when it comes to market.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/microsoft-exchange-server-2010-highlights-547
Slide #3 is what you want to see....

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
All microsoft thrashing aside, it's a very bad piece of software. IE7 is better, IMO. Maybe wait a couple of months for it to mature in the wild, then put it on your machine. That's what I'm doing. I have it on one machine - this one in fact. It's slower than 7.
+1 Had it on this laptop with auto download. Tried it, Hated it. Example, on BITOG kept getting a broken link looking thingy next to the address bar. Made it work slower, and implied that some sites weren't set/updated enough for IE8. Went back to 7, changed preference to notify but don't download or install, and finally figured out how to get rid of the darn yellow shield in lower toolbar.

Might try it later but not now.

+11111111

the only reason I still use IE at all

I haven't used IE8 much, don't have it on a PC here, but...

I have used Firefox for a few years, and been very satisfied. Since I starting using 3.x, however, I get frequent crashes on a few sites.

Ex, it will crash in Yahoo mail classic once in a while. No big deal unless I lose a time-consuming composition.

But, FF 3.x (from 3.0.1 to 3.0.11 I am using now) crash about every other time I open iGoogle. I keep thinking the next 3.0.x will fix it, but it doesn't.

I'm sticking with Firefox, but this crash can be annoying. I must remember not to open iGoogle when I am working on a process in another FF window. The recovery feature is great, but doesn't always work as hoped due to restrictions imposed by the web site.

BTW, I think one reason IE8 can be so slow due to the checks it attempts for every site you visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back