Idler pulleys, prices all over the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For reference, the vehicle in question is a 2004 Buick Rainier AWD with the 5.3L V8

Looking on Rockauto at idler pulleys, the range of prices has me scratching my head. The low is $6.85 for a Dorman, to $34.79 for an AC Delco. Other options priced between those are Hayden, Gates, Dayco, and Goodyear.

Is the AC Delco 5 times better than the Dorman? Do some of these brands have good or bad reputations with pulleys?

When in doubt go oem. No regrets most likely. Consider the upcharge cheap insurance. Have a nice day.

Anything but Dorman. That once-fine name in fastners and small parts has been slapped on the cheapest offshore junk the people who bought the brand can find.

I'd have zero hesitation going with Gates or Dayco.

I'd be a little suspicious of a too-cheap part.
I'm pretty sure that the Dorman would last more than 20% the life of the AC Delco part, but you have to ask yourself how many times you want to replace the part.
For this type of part, I'd be inclined to go with a name that's known to be good. You really don't want to have to replace this tensioner in January or February where you live, even though it isn't a terrible job on most cars. Don't know about a V-8 Rainier.
Maybe not the OEM part, but at least a Dayco or Gates.

Sadly, even the OEM/GM labelled (not even AC Delco) pullies could have a Sino made bearing pressed into them, but at least with these (as well as Dayco/Gates/Goodyear), there is a slight/outside chance of it being a U.S., or Canuck made bearing.
With the Dorman you are guaranteed a Chinese made bearing, and a low quality/NO quality controlled one at that.
frown.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Can you pop the bearing out of your old pulley and find numbers on it?

This.

If it's not a cheap plastic pulley, then you can probably do this. If it's a plastic pulley you still might be able to do this.

I've replaced bearings on about 5 pulleys. They all had common bearings that I could get from the local industrial supplier or buy online. It allowed me to replace the wearing part (the bearing) with one that matches or exceeds OE quality and it costs ways less.

Also, in some cases, the OE pulley will be a made of metal and the cheap replacements will be plastic.

Here's a thread I made on another forum about the topic:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141842

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd get an AC Delco oem pulley.

Are you SURE that the AC Delco part is still OEM? A lot of their stuff is now relabeled. It just has the OEM price on it.
A lot of your low price idler pulleys now come with a large bolt hole and they just throw in a different bushing for each part number so that they are almost a "one piece fits all" replacement part.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Can you pop the bearing out of your old pulley and find numbers on it?

This.

If it's not a cheap plastic pulley, then you can probably do this. If it's a plastic pulley you still might be able to do this.

I've replaced bearings on about 5 pulleys. They all had common bearings that I could get from the local industrial supplier or buy online. It allowed me to replace the wearing part (the bearing) with one that matches or exceeds OE quality and it costs ways less.

Also, in some cases, the OE pulley will be a made of metal and the cheap replacements will be plastic.

Here's a thread I made on another forum about the topic:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141842

I don't believe I have the tools necessary to press out and press in a new bearing, at least not without risking the bearing or pulley.

Looking at pictures, it appears that Gates makes the AC Delco idler pulley.

And I will not visit Garage Journal. Too expensive.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back