Idle stop and go systems. Do you like it?

wemay

Site Donor 2023
My new Sonata and wife's Palisade have this. I've read on here how so many dislike this tech. Does anyone actually find it useful? I rather like it, to be honest. It happens very quickly and doesn't alter my driving style.

We have it on our Pacifica. I'm indifferent.

I do turn it off on short trips. It's easy enough to manipulate with the brake pedal and I think it has enough deactivation protocols in the computer that it's not a hinderance.

I had it on a Dodge Durango SUV as a rental in USVI. Driving around the islands the (insert a naughty word here) thing drove me insane. I do not have it on my F150 or my DD Outback. One of the requirements for my next vehicle is no auto-start or the ability to disable it. As I understand it some are not able to be disabled???

OP, I'm cranky over it but if you like it a-ok. I'm sure there are items on a vehicle I like that you may not.

Fortunately I don't own a vehicle with it. Friends do and either turn it off each time they get into the car, or have something to disable it. No one I know leaves it on.

I haven't yet driven a vehicle where this system was acceptable. Part of it is my OCD probably - I hate the constant on-off action and the mild shudder when the engine restarts. I also don't like the extra delay that it causes to get you going again.

On wife's Q5, I have it permanently disabled.

I recently test drove a new X1, and hated it there, too, for the reasons I stated above.

I'm not saying they're all bad. I just haven't had the opportunity to drive a good one yet, I guess.

Meh, it is ok...I have gotten used to it, but tuned my car so I can turn it off if feeling frisky. Be aware, there is a slower "escape a dangerous situation" time, at least for my car.

I like it on my 2019 Honda Pilot.

Honda does have a TSB for the 3rd generation Pilots and other vehicles to update the software regarding the Auto Stop/Start. Some owners were having the system work but then the car wouldn't restart for various reasons. Left a few owners sitting in the middle of the road blocking traffic until it finally did start. One of the updates was to change the specifications and disable the system when the battery was not fully charged.

Honda is also apparently saying the valves may need to be adjusted if the update doesn't work for some 2021-2022 vehicles. They say it can cause excessive cylinder pressure and or low cranking torque!

TSB 23-008 Product Update: PGM-FI Idle Stop Software Update (2016-2022)

BACKGROUND

Under certain circumstances, after coming to a stop and the idle stop feature engages, the vehicle may not automatically restart. Typically, the customer can immediately restart the vehicle by selecting Park and pushing the ENGINE START/STOP button.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this product update. Do an iN VIN status inquiry to verify eligibility. Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your new or used vehicle inventory. Repair these vehicles before they are sold.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Update the PGM-FI Software. NOTE: The software update will decrease the Idle Stop operating range. As a result, the customer may notice reduced idle stop engagement when their vehicle’s battery is approaching the end of its useful life.

TSB 23-010 Warranty Extension: Engine Does Not Auto Restart After Entering Auto Idle Stop (2021-2022)

BACKGROUND

Under certain circumstances, after coming to a stop and engaging idle stop, the vehicle may not restart automatically due to excessive cylinder pressure and/or low cranking torque. Typically, the customer can immediately restart the vehicle by selecting Park and pressing the ENGINE START/STOP button. NOTE: If 23-008 Product Update: PGM-FI Idle Stop Software Update is applicable to the VIN, the PGM-FI software must be updated first before the warranty extension applies. Honda is extending the warranty coverage for valve adjustment to 10 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limitation.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign. Do an iN VIN status inquiry to verify eligibility.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Adjust the valves.

My RAV4 has it. It's too jerky when it turns the engine back on. I control it with the brake pedal. If it's a short stop I'll keep the engine running. If it's a long stop I'll let the engine turn off and turn it back on in anticipation of going forward again. It's not that big of a deal.

Back