Idle Nightmare

While working Alfa/Bravo shifts during my years as a Police Officer, i recall idling for over 7 hours during a couple hurricanes down here. The Crown Vic just shrugged it off. I can't imagine for a few days though.

Originally Posted by tbm5690
I struggle in understanding why push button tech has anything to do with people inadvertently leaving vehicles running...it's no different than if you left a physical key in the ignition and got out of the car. Vehicles beep at you when you remove the key with it running, and many have the option to keep the doors locked until the engine is shut off which is more than what was around in the past for keyed ignition safeguards. IMO, it's people's distraction that has increased this and not the technology.

The distraction and short attention span that a lot of people have today play a part in this. Another reason is that many cars are so quiet when they are running you hardly can tell.

Taking the key out of the ignition while the engine is running? Either you mean the fob or you have a very old car.

Didn't Chrysler have a recall on their rotary shifters a couple years ago? People forgetting the car was in gear while exiting or something?

My father had an incident with a Chevy Malibu that had a start/stop engine. He drove into a rest area while on a road trip and pulled into a parking spot. About two seconds later the Malibu crashed into a concrete wall and smashed it fairly good. When the engine went into auto stop mode he figured the engine was turned off so he let his foot off the brake and that's when the engine turned back on and then boom. On a long road trip it doesn't take much to get distracted and things happen in a split second. There is definitely a learning curve with a lot of this new technology. I often leave my Hyundai in neutral by mistake when I park it. Why? Unlike cars with a keyed ignition switch which can't remove the key if the shifter isn't in park, on a keyless start car you can shut the engine off in neutral and forget to shift to park it. The first time this happened to me I thought the car was messed up. It kept beeping at me and displayed a depress brake & shift to park message on the instrument panel (still thought the car was messed up) when I tried locking the doors and after a few minutes I finally realized I had left it in neutral by mistake. I'm no rookie around cars either so I can understand how people are having issues with these new electronic devices. I think the human brain responds better to mechanical inputs as opposed to digital.

The new Camry has a built in remote starter. It automatically turns off the engine after a certain amount of minutes (10-20 mins).

Back