Idle hours and the wear and tear it really equates to. Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been having this discussion with car friends. I recently bought an ex police car, 2010 Hemi Charger with 78000 miles and an unknown to me at the time, 13,100 engine hours. I was expecting 7000-8000. (I didn't know the trick to get hours to show when I inspected before purchase) Most personal cars might have 4000 hours by the time they hit 100,000 miles. My own cars would have about 3000 hours because I drive longer distances and keep my speed up.

Ford Fleet Services says 1 hour of idle time equals 33 miles of wear and tear. Meaning my Charger has a theoretical 432,000 miles. I think Ford's figure is ridiculous. My cop buddy said it seems like a stat to help sell new service vehicles. His assigned 2015 Explorer is approaching 10,000 hours and has just over 50,000 miles, runs great. Ford claims 8000-10000 hours is about the lifespan of a service vehicle in an urban environment.

I don't have much time behind the wheel yet but this Charger is a good strong runner. It was my friends former assigned car. Supposedly the fastest car in the department comprised of 6.0 Caprices and a 14 and 16 hemi chargers.

Regardless of how worn this engine actually is, it doesn't leak, smoke, or have any valve-train noise. No Hemi Tick. All 16 spark plugs were older but showed little to no signs of oil consumption. It is also one of the 50,000 Hemi's recalled in 2014 for failing timing chains, lots of cars lost motors over this. The recall was never performed... It will be soon. Despite all the idle time, it has lasted.

That's an equivalent to starting the engine and running it non-stop for 545.83 days!

No leaks, no smoking, plugs looked good (should have been iridium plugs), I'm going to assume they changed the oil regularly, no ticking (mine did, those friggin manifolds!!!!), I'd say you're fine. The biggest thing would be the lifters and cam, which *usually* starts out as a misfire under WOT accompanied by a flashing check engine light. But you said it's running strong so I wouldn't worry at all. Enjoy the sweet new ride!

Jealous of the column shift. Which they'd bring that back.

My wife routinely sits and idles her RAM 5.7 for hours writing her reports. Our fleet trucks are often run for 8-10 hours without being shut off, running short urban routes. LOTS of idling hours.

It's really not an issue. Modern computer controlled engines do not appear to be harmed by idling.

To the OP, hopefully you got the charger for a great price.

I doubt there is any issue with the car. Enjoy it. I've seen a few ex police cars posted in your Toronto and they seem to be going for a great price. Post some pics of the car. Does it had the crash bars in the front?

I don't think these newer engines load up like the older carb vehicles of the past. Chances are your vehicle will go another 150,000 miles or more. Idle time is definitely something to keep in mind when buying a game warden or police/highway patrol vehicle. These guys are paid to sit and watch whats going on and can accumulate lots of hours just sitting, watching and doing their job. Good to hear it runs great for you.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I would love to see the engine hours on those NYC taxis with hundreds of thousands of miles.

Yes, companies like Mobil 1 routinely do tests on taxi fleets. They have amazingly little wear, even the ones using 5w20. Do not worry about your purchase.
smile.gif

What is the trick to display engine hours? Would like to see how many are on my Durango and Charger.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I would love to see the engine hours on those NYC taxis with hundreds of thousands of miles.

Yes, companies like Mobil 1 routinely do tests on taxi fleets. They have amazingly little wear, even the ones using 5w20. I would not worry about it.
smile.gif

Wasn't there that Mobil 1 commercial showing a taxi company owner accepting a delivery of a used police Crown Vic? He said he trusted it because the police had good records of it being serviced with only Mobil 1. Not sure it would be that critical to me, but that was what they had in the commercial.

Still - I'd think it would depend on the local rules. I looked up the rules in San Francisco, which has the most taxis of any place in my area. They said no older than 8 year by the model year. So a 2019 model year car would have to be retired by the end of 2027. Don't see any more Crown Vics. I thought that even non-police fleet sales were discontinued in 2009. I'm guessing the discontinuation might have been because they used a lot of fuel. Still see a few elsewhere in taxi fleets in outlying areas that might not have a maximum age for vehicles.

Most manufacturers say "extensive idling" is considered severe service and requires shorter maintenance intervals. As long as the shorter service intervals are observed, the engine will probably be fine... perhaps a bit more carboned up than average, but still fine. Yes, modern fuel injected vehicles are much more efficient than older cars, but still... idling is inefficient combustion, period.

Originally Posted by wwillson
What is the trick to display engine hours? Would like to see how many are on my Durango and Charger.

What is the trick? Following.

All modern police package cars come with idle hours. It shows the actual wear and tear on the engine. In Ford's Crown Vic Police Package manual says exactly what you saw, that 33 idling hours equals 33 road driven miles. When these things go to auction, they look at all that stuff and a car with low miles, but ridiculous idling hours tells a different story.

I work for a large and populated county in Florida. Our fleet is around 1100 vehicles consisting of 6.0 Caprices, Tahoes, a few straggler Crown Vics left and plain wrapper Impalas. K-9 Tahoes and Traffic Unit Caprices are under a 5000 mile severe service interval. Regular patrol deputies in 6.0 Caprices and 5.3 Tahoes have to go by the computer controlled display on the dash and never to get below 10% oil life. Every 30k miles, we do a "30k service" consisting of new thermostats, coolant flush, oil, air filters and differential fluids. That continues up until 120k miles, at which time they're sent to auction. So in short, they are VERY well maintained.

My last car, a 2011 Crown Vic was retired at 148k miles and a tick under 2000 idling hours. I work highways and had VERY little idle time. My current 2017 Caprice has 58k miles and 3000 idling hours currently. Double that and it'll be retired at 120k and around 6000 idling hours.

Personally, I think 13,000 idling hours is a lot. I mean, that's a metric TON of idling time. I wouldn't buy a car with HALF that because I know how they can be driven but someone that had that didn't do a whole lot but sit around idling. Small towns with tiny little PD's consisting of 4-5 guys, I can totally see that. 78k miles is nothing for miles, especially circling a 5 by 5 square mile area for it's entire life.

Just change the oil and it should be fine. 5.7s are strong motors but keep a listen out for the Hemi tick. Those motors do eat lifters from the MDS cam shafts. In fact, 6.0 Caprices do as well.

Last edited:
The oil was changed every 3k.

You get in the car, turn the key to the on position (don't start it) hold the trip odometer for 6-8 seconds, it should come up.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
That's an equivalent to starting the engine and running it non-stop for 545.83 days!

No leaks, no smoking, plugs looked good (should have been iridium plugs), I'm going to assume they changed the oil regularly, no ticking (mine did, those friggin manifolds!!!!), I'd say you're fine. The biggest thing would be the lifters and cam, which *usually* starts out as a misfire under WOT accompanied by a flashing check engine light. But you said it's running strong so I wouldn't worry at all. Enjoy the sweet new ride!

Copper plugs are what they came with. All these hemis running around have 30k change intervals. Supposedly there is some long life plug out there for police packages but they are very expensive, ($15 each I think I read) and you'll need 16 of them.

Originally Posted by JC1
To the OP, hopefully you got the charger for a great price.

I doubt there is any issue with the car. Enjoy it. I've seen a few ex police cars posted in your Toronto and they seem to be going for a great price. Post some pics of the car. Does it had the crash bars in the front?

I felt like Elwood Blues when I bought it. I'll get some pics. It does have a Push Bar. It also still has the light bar, rear cage, PA system, sirens, and local radio/cb. Police scanner, computer, and dash cam were removed. It took some reading to make sure it was legal for me to drive in it's current form. Someone really was lazy about removing all the logos on it. It still visibly said police and the department across both sides. Other graphics they just gave up trying to remove. I've got about 14 hours of time in it with an eraser wheel and acetone on rags getting it clean.

Maybe this helps https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php%3ft=158085&amp=1.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
The oil was changed every 3k.

You get in the car, turn the key to the on position (don't start it) hold the trip odometer for 6-8 seconds, it should come up.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Copper plugs are what they came with. All these hemis running around have 30k change intervals. Supposedly there is some long life plug out there for police packages but they are very expensive, ($15 each I think I read) and you'll need 16 of them.

Really? That's odd... you can use any iridium or platinum plug in there if you wanted though.

I know in 2011-2013 Durango's it was in the EVIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back