Idle hours and the wear and tear it really equates to. Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
The oil was changed every 3k.

Originally Posted by wwillson
What is the trick to display engine hours? Would like to see how many are on my Durango and Charger.

You get in the car, turn the key to the on position (don't start it) hold the trip odometer for 6-8 seconds, it should come up.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
That's an equivalent to starting the engine and running it non-stop for 545.83 days!

No leaks, no smoking, plugs looked good (should have been iridium plugs), I'm going to assume they changed the oil regularly, no ticking (mine did, those friggin manifolds!!!!), I'd say you're fine. The biggest thing would be the lifters and cam, which *usually* starts out as a misfire under WOT accompanied by a flashing check engine light. But you said it's running strong so I wouldn't worry at all. Enjoy the sweet new ride!

Jealous of the column shift. Which they'd bring that back.

Copper plugs are what they came with. All these hemis running around have 30k change intervals. Supposedly there is some long life plug out there for police packages but they are very expensive, ($15 each I think I read) and you'll need 16 of them.

Tried holding down trip for 6-10 seconds and no hours came up...fyi

Take care all.

Originally Posted by mbacfp

What is the trick to display engine hours? Would like to see how many are on my Durango and Charger.

You get in the car, turn the key to the on position (don't start it) hold the trip odometer for 6-8 seconds, it should come up.

That's an equivalent to starting the engine and running it non-stop for 545.83 days!

No leaks, no smoking, plugs looked good (should have been iridium plugs), I'm going to assume they changed the oil regularly, no ticking (mine did, those friggin manifolds!!!!), I'd say you're fine. The biggest thing would be the lifters and cam, which *usually* starts out as a misfire under WOT accompanied by a flashing check engine light. But you said it's running strong so I wouldn't worry at all. Enjoy the sweet new ride!

Copper plugs are what they came with. All these hemis running around have 30k change intervals. Supposedly there is some long life plug out there for police packages but they are very expensive, ($15 each I think I read) and you'll need 16 of them.

Take care all.

Are you trying to view them on the Kitty?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by mbacfp

Take care all.

Are you trying to view them on the Kitty?

No, the Durango.

A quick google yielded:

To display the engine hours perform the following:
Place the ignition in RUN, but do not start the
engine. With the odometer value displayed, hold the trip
button down for a period of 6 seconds. The odometer will
change to trip value first, then it will display the engine
hour value. The engine hours will be displayed for a
period of 30 seconds until the ignition is turned off or the
engine is started.

Wait, we have two different numbers here. Does the car show 13,000 ENGINE hours, or 13,000 IDLE hours? I know a police Crown Vic shows IDLE hours (mine has ~2000), not total engine hours. 13,100 total hours in 78K miles sounds more plausible.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
A quick google yielded:

To display the engine hours perform the following:
Place the ignition in RUN, but do not start the
engine. With the odometer value displayed, hold the trip
button down for a period of 6 seconds. The odometer will
change to trip value first, then it will display the engine
hour value. The engine hours will be displayed for a
period of 30 seconds until the ignition is turned off or the
engine is started.

Thanks Overkill...it did go to trip mileage but I didnt wait beyond that. Will try and report back. Night.

Held it for 6 seconds and once I let go of button it then shows trip mileage...no hours show. Maybe someone will have better luck. Night all.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Wait, we have two different numbers here. Does the car show 13,000 ENGINE hours, or 13,000 IDLE hours? I know a police Crown Vic shows IDLE hours (mine has ~2000), not total engine hours. 13,100 total hours in 78K miles sounds more plausible.

Figure of speech, I'm talking about running hours, whether it be moving or sitting. Your vic works the same way. I don't think any car accounts for just time in park.

Figure of speech, I'm talking about running hours, whether it be moving or sitting. Your vic works the same way. I don't think any car accounts for just time in park.

That's exactly what the Vic counts... Park/neutral.

My 13 cop Tahoe had 10,000 hours with 73kmi when I got it. That works out to only an average speed of 7.3mph. I forgot what the total fuel used was in thousands of gallons but it worked out to be about 9mpg lifetime. I think it ran for 5, 8 hour shifts without getting shut off. It runs perfect though. I recently bought the government priced Goodyear cop tires for at $1300 for the set. The cop tires that were on it had a lot of run-out in them, probably from sitting so much, idling away.

Originally Posted by dogememe

Oh Jesus, I searched and you are right. So this Dodge might have even more time on it than I thought. I'll have to test it out and see how it records.

Here she is as purchased. The last pic is after I ran over the side with cutting compounds after hours and hours of getting lettering and adhesive off. (Paint correction is something I'm skilled at) The steering wheel I have in the pics is from a same year SRT8 Chrysler 300. The old wheel was crusty and felt gross to touch, I removed it asap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BAck in 2014, when we were on our road trip, I had a similar reaction to spotting Keyden Kross when I saw the Chargers with the Dukes of Hazzard nudge bar.

Talking to a highway patrol guy last night at the bowser, he was in his SS G-8, and we were discussing where they were going with Oz dropping manufacture of the Commodore (G8)...he said BMW and Chrysler 300C...but they were all hanging out for the Charger in 3 years time...apparently it's coming to Oz.

hmmm...lease on the Colorado is up about then.

Lookin good! I got a 300 that could use a paint correction
wink.gif

Sometimes I wish I had a divider like that for when the kids are in the car lol! I'm kidding, I love them, even if the 3 year old likes to hear himself talk

wink.gif

Sometimes I wish I had a divider like that for when the kids are in the car lol! I'm kidding, I love them, even if the 3 year old likes to hear himself talk

I should sign up as an uber driver.

wink.gif

I should sign up as an uber driver.

Hey, if you pick up someone from the bar and the puke in the back, you can just hose it out!

Come to think of it, that'd be great for kids too!

Here she is as purchased. The last pic is after I ran over the side with cutting compounds after hours and hours of getting lettering and adhesive off. (Paint correction is something I'm skilled at) The steering wheel I have in the pics is from a same year SRT8 Chrysler 300. The old wheel was crusty and felt gross to touch, I removed it asap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome pictures...need that backseat for my kids...ha. I got the wrong Charger model.

Originally Posted by dogememe

Oh Jesus, I searched and you are right. So this Dodge might have even more time on it than I thought. I'll have to test it out and see how it records.

I saw a Vic once with 110,000 miles...and 14,000 idle hours. (City cruiser in Minneapolis.)

Your Charger looks great. I previously had a 90 Caprice 9C1, and now I have a 13 Tahoe PPV. They are a blast. Left lane is always open, and you get to go first at stop signs. I would have like a push bar, but to save weight and $, I just went with a simple bull bar. I have the dog-dish black cop wheels mounted with Michelin X-ices.

IMG_3257.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back