Identity theft & so on

Docusign doesn't do a background check; they're just a way to send encrypted documents for e-signatures.
Maybe not a background check per say but some kind of verification where they ask identifying information pertaining to addresses and auto. I know they do it because I get an email alert from my identity theft service that there was a query.

Last edited:
In theory, land could be stolen with a forged quitclaim deed. But to work, any quitclaim deed has to be recorded by the locality the land is in. It's hard to imagine any government clerk just accepting one from someone walking into the office out of the blue. There might be other ways (on paper) to make a fraudulent land transfer, but actually getting a government office or a court to go along is a different story.

My perception is that quitclaims, which convey whatever interest you have in a property to someone else, are simply no longer accepted in most parts of the US precisely because of the possibility of fraud and games. I could give you a quitclaim deed to the Brooklyn Bridge, but since my actual ownership in the bridge is zero, the deed is worthless.

This should tell you something: my brother and I had free-and-clear inherited title to my mother's land in a rural county in Virginia, and we sold the land last year. The county made it clear that selling it would have to have a lawyer involved. That's a good rule of thumb for most transfers. It's hard to picture how fraudulent transfers could happen without finance companies or government agencies involved in something shady.

So Dave Ramsey is right. Those title protection schemes are useless and you should be wary of them too. In fact, most stuff you hear on radio ads is suspect.

Be prepared. ( not me)

E6732F39-7EA3-428E-8F30-09ACD3E6D1BA.jpeg

I can only comment on credit bureaus. I would also lock my score with Innovis, it cant hurt and it's free. It's also one you can lock it and forget it, to this day I never had to unlock that one. We also got confirmation by USPS when we did lock it and I think our PIN number.
AS far as homes, I do not know except to say stuff happens in life, we could die walking out our front door tomorrow.
Im sure there must be a way to keep tabs on your house but dont know what they are. Other than your property tax bill and regular online check with your county records.
I have NEVER used a pay for credit lock company and never will but that doesnt mean I am right. Just me. I mean a Discover Credit Card alerts you if anyone accesses your credit report (forgot what agency) when you unlock it to allow let's say a mortgage company to view it.

Thanks AG for the great information. I just froze all 4 of my CBR reports. It's so easy it took about a half hour to freeze them. I only have 3 cards that I use and I am now feeling confident of my security against fraud. I know it's only another layer of protection but everything helps and I have never been a victim of fraud.

Thanks AG for the great information. I just froze all 4 of my CBR reports. It's so easy it took about a half hour to freeze them. I only have 3 cards that I use and I am now feeling confident of my security against fraud. I know it's only another layer of protection but everything helps and I have never been a victim of fraud.
I get an email every time my credit card is used and also when money enters or leaves my checking account.
There is a lot people can do to protect themselves.
It starts with being vigilant.

I just saw this post, glad to hear the feedback.

@alarmguy Is it even worth having identity theft protection if you lock your credit?
I wouldnt tell someone not to because maybe it does some good.
With that said, I personally would never pay anyone for any service that seems like smoke and mirrors to what I am already doing for free.
I see some references to credit cards in here. I could care less if credit card fraud takes place on my cards. That is the credit card companies problem, not mine and that is what I love about credit cards. You're liable for nothing if you didnt charge it and I guess reasonably responsibly with your card.

Debit cards are a while other game though, if your bank account gets emptied using a debt card there are no universal protections except from individual banks and in most cases you need to prove it wasnt you. I NEVER use my debit card for anything, except to take money out of an ATM.

I wouldnt tell someone not to because maybe it does some good.
With that said, I personally would never pay anyone for any service that seems like smoke and mirrors to what I am already doing for free.
I see some references to credit cards in here. I could care less if credit card fraud takes place on my cards. That is the credit card companies problem, not mine and that is what I love about credit cards. You're liable for nothing if you didnt charge it and I guess reasonably responsibly with your card.

Debit cards are a while other game though, if your bank account gets emptied using a debt card there are no universal protections except from individual banks and in most cases you need to prove it wasnt you. I NEVER use my debit card for anything, except to take money out of an ATM.
I could care less

How much less?

MasterSolenoid posted above the three major credit agencies that you can go to their website right now and freeze your credit so no one can pull your credit report unless you unlock it. More or less, if your going to go out and buy a new car or apply for a credit card you can then go back to the site and unlock the credit for a period of time or unlock it forever and then go back another day after getting the credit that you wanted and lock it again.
I froze my credit reports years ago.
Just as a test, while on Amazon today, I checked to see if I could get approved for their credit card.
Immediately I got a message that said .... NO - your credit report is froozen.
Made me feel good.

Back