Ideas on where this gas leak may be coming from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at maybe buying a 2000 Silverado 1500. Stopped by to take a look at it and it is in decent shape for a New England truck that is 11 years old...some rust and bubbles on rockers but no rot

I crawled under the truck and saw this on the bottom of the tank

IMAG1877.jpg

No drops on ground at all so not sure where it is coming from

Ideas?

Goose

almost looks like an oil pan. I would start from the top and work my way down. It could be a hose connection or it could be a gasket that seals the fuel pump in the tank. Or it could be a seam on the tank. That's really the only thing that can leak on a gas tank.

If it's a plastic tank it would have to be hose/hose connection, or the o-ring seal for the tank sender. Or maybe a fuel line rusting out? Also maybe the fill connection............Get it for a good price if that's the case.

My bet is the sending unit. The convoluted metal spider shaped thing gets metal fatigue (and rust). Did you happen to check if the truck sits turned off a few days if all the gas evaporates?

It smelt like gas but it did seem a little oily..my guess is tank would have to be dropped huh....

How much would that repair run?

My guess is that the truck has not been moved for quite awhile so not sure if that makes a difference... ....

Goose

I've swapped out a fuel pump in my driveway in one of those. NO FUN.

BTW, if that truck has rust and bubbles now, rot isn't far behind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back