ICONS and Mottos of OIL Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Everyone recalls (well most everyone) the Dinosaur was associated with the Sinclair Oil Company.
This was the trademark Icon for that company.

Does anyone recall, "The Tiger in Your Tank" Icon and mottos and what company it was associated?

Also, if you recall any Icons or Mottos, past or present, display them proudly.

[ December 06, 2002, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

The Tiger in your Tank was Esso.

I remember the "Trust your car to the man who wears the star, the big, bright Texaco star" commercials.

Here's a little trivia question for everyone: What is the origin of the brand name "Esso"?

Edit: spelling

[ December 06, 2002, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: XHVI ]

Don't remember the motto, but the Tiger was Exxon's.

Pennzoil's trademark is the Liberty Bell with the name PENNZOIL running through it. It use to be known as the oil with Z-7. We have not used that term in a long time.

Over here the Tiger was Exxon. Television ads were frequent, and their service stations had plenty of Tiger signs & toys. I didn't know Esso existed until the 80's, but then this isn't exactly a business hot-spot.

David

Esso became Exxon in the early 70's. I remember a Tiger in your tank when it was Esso. Also remember Esso as Enco in the Arizona.

quote:

Originally posted by Ferb:
Wasn't "Esso" supposed to be a phonetic name for S.O. (Standard Oil)?

Yes, when the Supreme Court broke up Standard Oil in 1912, Standard Oil of New Jersey became "Esso" and later "Exxon." Standard Oil of New York became "Mobil." These were the largest of the individual companies that made up Standard Oil, and now they are back together as ExxonMobil.

[ December 06, 2002, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: XHVI ]

quote:

Originally posted by westex39:
Esso became Exxon in the early 70's. I remember a Tiger in your tank when it was Esso. Also remember Esso as Enco in the Arizona.

Would have sworn I saw some Esso stations out east during the 80's. Might have been something else.

I didn't pay much attention before the mid 70's when "Tiger in your Tank" was everywhere, but it had to be a successful campaign to stick for so long. Did they ever officially end it?

Exxon Superflo bottles have the Tiger still and in TX the Exxon gas pumps have a Tiger that lights up at night

We still have Esso up here in Canada. As a matter of fact it's what I use exclusively in both of my cars (except when I drag race I sometimes put in 94 octane Sunoco, since our Essos only have up to 92 octane)

I even have two tiger tails, one on a keychain, and one bigger one which can be used to stick out the gas door to simulate having "a tiger in my tank"
grin.gif
My one year old son just loves playing with the big tiger tail though, so it's his now.
grin.gif

Esso is owned by Imperial Oil, and they also distribute Mobil 1 up here. Mobil 1 is sold at all Esso stations too (at a HUGE premium over Walmart though)

Dickwells,

I recall growing up in St. Louis and Clark was the cheapest gas at about 0.12 to 0.15 a Gallon.

I recall going on many trips with Dad and Mom and we would stop in Cairo, Ill. and fillup at Clark before going into Kentucky.

I later bought that same car, a 1962 Chev. 4-door, repainted it, and it became the Chick Magnet of Roosevelt High School. Had a 283 SB. Dad always used Pennzoil 10W40 in it. The gas mileage was about 21 mpg.

[ December 07, 2002, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Well, here goes. My father worked for Mobil in NYC in the 50's, and rather than transfer to Nigeria went to my present neck of the woods (DelMarVa) to work for the Tidewater Oil Company with the Flying "A" (remember the red horse with wings?). Appropriate as my family goes back 300 years to the mid-Atlantic tidewaters (the creek behind my house is tidal). Anyhow, this became Getty (old John Paul - seen his Roman villa art museum in Ca.?). Later, Getty was bought by Mobil.

I was on a Shell Oil refinery revamp in Wood River, IL and was working with an old time chemical engineer in the oil industry who had volunteered (although American) to join the British RAF and had been shot down and spent most of the war in a German Luftwaffe Stalag (actually treated quite well as Goring still had a reservoir from his fighter pilot days in WWI of chivalery, interesting how Goring died with a wink BTW).

Please excuse me, back on topic. Anyhow, this old chem E said that when Mobil bought Getty and Flying "A" the only part of the logo they kept was from the horse.

Guess which part? (hint, it's the "o" in Mobil).

Can anybody confirm whether this is true?

[ December 06, 2002, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: ex_MGB ]

Vacuum Oil Co. created by the break up of Standard Oil in 1911 used the flying white horse.
Standard Oil of New York = SOCONY and used a flying red horse in the '20's.
SOCONY & Vacuum merged in '31 and used the red horse.
SOCONY-Vacuum Oil Company used the brand name Mobil and the flying horse in '54.
Standard Oil of Ohio = SOHIO
American Oil Company = AMOCO
Continental Oil Company = CONOCO
Union Oil of California = Union 76 = UNOCAL
Tidewater Associated Oil = Flying A
Atlantic + Richfield = ARCO

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Vacuum Oil Co. created by the break up of Standard Oil in 1911 used the flying white horse.
Standard Oil of New York = SOCONY and used a flying red horse in the '20's.
SOCONY & Vacuum merged in '31 and used the red horse.
SOCONY-Vacuum Oil Company used the brand name Mobil and the flying horse in '54.
Standard Oil of Ohio = SOHIO
American Oil Company = AMOCO
Continental Oil Company = CONOCO
Union Oil of California = Union 76 = UNOCAL
Tidewater Associated Oil = Flying A
Atlantic + Richfield = ARCO

American/AMOCO has its roots in Standard Oil of Indiana.

If any of you are from Dallas, or ever been to Dallas, downtown there is the old Mobil building. It has or had a big flying red horse on top of it. They had to take down the original horse in 1957 due to damage from a storm. My sister has 1/2 of that original flying red horse in storage in Ft.Worth. The neon lights still work. I wonder what that would be worth to a collector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back