Icon Impact Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with them yet? I need a set of 1/2" deep metric but it's not something I'm going to use a lot so I'm looking at cheaper options that still have a little quality. I think they're made in Taiwan. HF currently has a 20% off coupon on Icon tools.

I have the cheap Pittsburgh impact sockets as well. They are pretty tough. I see that some of the sizes in both sets differ.

Icon has 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22mm, 26mm, 27mm

Pittsburgh has 10mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22mm, 24mm, 27mm, 30mm, 32mm

I have the klutch impact sockets in regular and deep well from northern too. They are great. But the egraved sizes on the icon are nice. Mine are laser etched and are not as easy to read especially when its not in the sun.

Last edited:
I have the cheaper Pittsburgh sockets and they are very tough. My only complained is that the numbers are hard to read (same complaint spasm3 mentioned for the klutch sockets). The ICON numbers are more deeply engraved and easier to read. If I were looking for a new set I would go to HF and compare them in person, then go to other stores to see which are easiest to read for a reasonable price. They all have lifetime warranty so usability is the biggest issue, IMO.

So what's the deal here? Is this rebranding of the "Pittsburg Pro" line, made by whatever lowest-bidder manufacturer they could find?

Originally Posted by Jimzz
If you are not going to use them all the time the Pittsburgh impact sockets work fine...
https://www.harborfreight.com/13-pc-12-in-drive-metric-impact-deep-wall-socket-set-69561.html

I have a set of these and use them quite a bit. Going on 10 years now. They outlasted my first electric impact gun and are on my 2nd.

The Icon look much nicer and if you are a pro then may be worth it. But for a DiY, the ones linked above work great.

The design of the Icon for the smaller sizes is superior and will fit into tighter places. And if I want bargain basement China sockets I have a bunch of options.

Another vote for the Pittsburgh impact sockets, they're quite good for the money.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by Jimzz
If you are not going to use them all the time the Pittsburgh impact sockets work fine...
https://www.harborfreight.com/13-pc-12-in-drive-metric-impact-deep-wall-socket-set-69561.html

I have a set of these and use them quite a bit. Going on 10 years now. They outlasted my first electric impact gun and are on my 2nd.

The Icon look much nicer and if you are a pro then may be worth it. But for a DiY, the ones linked above work great.

The design of the Icon for the smaller sizes is superior and will fit into tighter places. And if I want bargain basement China sockets I have a bunch of options.

Go for it and let us know how they workout and hold up. I'm sure they will suit you fine.

If you buy a set with a lot of skips you might find yourself buying a second set at some point. I had to buy a second set of metric deeps because I needed one socket last year.

The first set I bought was a $15 Princess Auto 1/2 metric deep impact set which served me pretty well for the price. I would say get a cheap set until your are forced to upgrade especially if they are rarely used.

Originally Posted by Trav
I dont have them but they look decent enough, I do like that they are engraved and not laser etched for the sizes.

My neighbor is a pro mechanic but quite young - about 35.

He has the uncanny ability to correctly ID not only the fastener but also the wrench or socket without checking the size.

Anything 10 mm or 3/8" and up, he is always spot on, smaller sizes about 90% or so.

Last edited:
Depends on what you're working on. Make sure whatever you buy doesn't skip a size you'll use commonly. I had HF Pittsburg impacts that served me well when I owned 2 Hondas. Now that I added a Ford, the lack of a 15 in my sets have been annoying as heck.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I have the klutch impact sockets in regular and deep well from northern too. They are great. But the egraved sizes on the icon are nice. Mine are laser etched and are not as easy to read especially when its not in the sun.

I think Klutch impact sockets offer one the best values for a set, I have both metric and SAE deep plus shallow they have all the sizes I need and come with a case. These are not money makers but will get the job done. For around $40 delivered they are hard to beat.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200624103_200624103

TEKTON is supposed to be pretty good and actually some of their tools are US made as well. I have in the past used Taiwan made impact sockets that lasted very well in an industrial application, class 8 truck lug nuts etc. I've also seen plenty of worn out snap on impact sockets too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fozzdesy2001
Originally Posted by spasm3

I think Klutch impact sockets offer one the best values for a set, I have both metric and SAE deep plus shallow they have all the sizes I need and come with a case. These are not money makers but will get the job done. For around $40 delivered they are hard to beat.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200624103_200624103

Those don't look bad. I have a Northern Tool local.

Looks like all the cheaper sets skip bigger sizes. I have no idea what sizes my Ford has. All the stuff I normally work on is SAE or uses smaller metric sizes. The truck is starting to get older so I want some tools around in case.

Icon sizes: 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22mm, 26mm, 27mm
Klutch size: 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22mm, 24mm, 27mm

A plus for the Northern Tool is they sell a lot of single sockets to fill in the missing slots. Individual sockets are spendy though. Not sure what NT charges.

Originally Posted by fozzdesy2001
spasm3 said:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200624103_200624103[/qu

Looks like all the cheaper sets skip bigger sizes. I have no idea what sizes my Ford has. All the stuff I normally work on is SAE or uses smaller metric sizes. The truck is starting to get older so I want some tools around in case.

Icon sizes: 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22mm, 26mm, 27mm
Klutch size: 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22mm, 24mm, 27mm

A plus for the Northern Tool is they sell a lot of single sockets to fill in the missing slots. Individual sockets are spendy though. Not sure what NT charges.

My Klutch SAE deep set goes from 7/16-1 1/4 is stamped and laser-etched wish all of them were stamped but I've had the metric sets for over 4 years and the SAE sets only 2. Still a great deal, hope Northern opens a store near me someday.

Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by Trav
I dont have them but they look decent enough, I do like that they are engraved and not laser etched for the sizes.

My neighbor is a pro mechanic but quite young - about 35.

He has the uncanny ability to correctly ID not only the fastener but also the wrench or socket without checking the size.

Anything 10 mm or 3/8" and up, he is always spot on, smaller sizes about 90% or so.

I normally have no problems grabbing the correct socket but impacts can be very similar in physical size to the next size up or down until you look at the business end.

I have hammered mine hard on some rusty exhaust on truck. Rattled some really hard with the aircat, which is a fairly strong impact gun. No problems at all. Plus like you said, if i lose one or damage it , i can buy another single at the store to keep the set complete. The blow molded case sucks, but i just keep them in my drawer.

I'm not knocking the ICON at all, I'm sure they will work well, like Trav said, its nice they are engraved. But for less money i think you will like the Klutch just fine.

IMG_20200216_113124338.jpg

Last edited:
The advantage i see with the ICON or Klutch sockets is they have a smaller neck in the lower sizes so they fit in tighter areas, the Pittsburgh sockets are all fatter.

[Linked Image from shop.harborfreight.com]

IMG_20200216_115021475.jpg

IMG_20200216_115038900.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back