Iceland Air B767 in Antarctica

6 pilots, 20,000 miles. What is the flight time? I'm guessing they did shifts? 8 on, 12 off?

NAVY had a squadron that supported Antarctica missions, VXE-6 out of Pt. Mugu, Ca. Flew ski equipped LC-130 Hercules, no longer as all was turned over to the AF.
1200px-LC130.jpg

I assume no fuel in Antarctica?

Be good for frequent flyer miles!

I'm pretty sure McMurdo has fuel.

Found this about fuel at Troll Airfield:

o Fuel depot: The Polar Diesel fuel depot at Troll consists of large containers​
(Maximum 11, 000 liters/container) located on the ice ca. 600 meters from the station. Total amount stored in 2011 was ca. 340,000 liters. Up to 400,000 liters of Jet fuel A-1 is stored in 200 liter barrels on containment mats. In addition a total of 9000 liters unleaded petrol 95 octane are stored in 200 liter barrels on containment mats.​
o Fuel transport: All fuel and chemicals are brought to Troll from the cargo vessel (at Troll Cargo Site) in containers or sleds with 200 liter barrels to Troll station. Polar diesel is transported in 11,000 liters tanks within 20’ containers. See Chapter 3.​
They apparently use Jet A1 in place of diesel in some of their equipment such as snow groomers and generators. Also Jet A1 interchangeably with kerosene for heating.

Last edited:
Back