ICE to track license plates across the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this doesn't scream 1984 I'm not sure the population will ever wake up...

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/18/0...rt-tracking-license-plates-across-the-us

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency has officially gained agency-wide access to a nationwide license plate recognition database, according to a contract finalized earlier this month. The system gives the agency access to billions of license plate records and new powers of real-time location tracking, raising significant concerns from civil libertarians. The source of the data is not named in the contract, but an ICE representative said the data came from Vigilant Solutions, the leading network for license plate recognition data. While it collects few photos itself, Vigilant Solutions has amassed a database of more than 2 billion license plate photos by ingesting data from partners like vehicle repossession agencies and other private groups. ICE agents would be able to query that database in two ways. A historical search would turn up every place a given license plate has been spotted in the last five years, a detailed record of the target's movements. That data could be used to find a given subject's residence or even identify associates if a given car is regularly spotted in a specific parking lot.

Other Sources:

https://www.thewhig.com/news/world/...wcm/468700e7-9994-4999-8812-e52047009b0e
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/26/...-recognition-contract-vigilant-solutions
https://thinkprogress.org/license-plate-tracking-ice-system-bd76f18f676e/
https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...icense-plate-recognition-tracking-system

Last edited:
As someone who was hit last year by an uninsured illegal immigrant which totaled my car, I'm okay with this.

That said.. IBTL.

I didn't click on all the links but if a vehicle is registered with a DMV in any state, aren't we there anyway? And have been for years? Years ago a cop pulled along side me at a stoplight and reminded me I needed to put my year/month sticker on my plate. I had renewed my registration but had forgotten to apply the sticker. He even knew my name and address! Scary........or not!

Last edited:
As someone who has known two good people killed by illegal aliens, who then fled the country, I am okay with this too.

That's different than tracking your daily whereabouts.

Originally Posted by gman2304
I didn't click on all the links but if a vehicle is registered with a DMV in any state, aren't we there anyway? And have been for years? Years ago a cop pulled along side me at a stoplight and reminded me I needed to put my year/month sticker on my plate. I had renewed my registration but had forgotten to apply the sticker. He even knew my name and address! Scary........or not!

Originally Posted by 02SE
As someone who has known two good people killed by illegal aliens, who then fled the country, I am okay with this too.

Shouldn't we deal with the problem in the first place and not give up privacy as a secondary method?

Originally Posted by maxdustington
With the announcement of the wall funding bill and immigration being a major influence on the coming election, it is good to see that the US is finally locking down their borders. Illegal immigration is causing major political upheaval across the globe, most recently in Quebec.

Border control is not orwellian! Civil/human rights inflation has gotten wayyy out of control in the western world. Sovereignty requires the ability to secure a nation's border, to keep the riff raff out. Ever since Trump was elected he has lead the US to victory after victory, especially economically. No matter your political ideologies/affiliation, curbing illegal immigration is how the middle class will be rebuilt in the US.

+1
01.gif

With the announcement of the wall funding bill and immigration being a major influence on the coming election, it is good to see that the US is finally locking down their borders. Illegal immigration is causing major political upheaval across the globe, most recently in Quebec.

Border control is not orwellian! Civil/human rights inflation has gotten wayyy out of control in the western world. Sovereignty requires the ability to secure a nation's border, to keep the riff raff out. Ever since Trump was elected he has lead the US to victory after victory, especially economically. No matter your political ideologies/affiliation, curbing illegal immigration is how the middle class will be rebuilt in the US.

Sure but at the cost of privacy to citizens? I don't get it. U.S. citizens would be the first to balk at their rights being taken away and being less "free" yet you are ok with this kind of snooping? It's not about being a legal citizen and having nothing to hide, it's about the government being able to track your travel without a warrant. If it was tracked and encrypted but they needed a warrant to gain access to it should they need to prove something like a murder etc. then fine but not just at will.

Last edited:
It's public information, no expectation of privacy. They kinda do this now, there are private satellites that take pictures all the time and they can identify if your car is in the driveway or not.

The police in this state already drive around with plate scanners so they know if you car is registered and insured.

They also recently increased the time a resident sticker is good for because if you move out of the area and register the car somewhere else, when they scan your plate, they'll know the sticker is no good even though it's not expired.

Originally Posted by StevieC

Do you have a phone, computer or any other electronic device?

Sure but at the cost of privacy to citizens? I don't get it. U.S. citizens would be the first to balk at their rights being taken away and being less "free" yet you are ok with this kind of snooping? It's not about being a legal citizen and having nothing to hide, it's about the government being able to track your travel without a warrant. If it was tracked and encrypted but they needed a warrant to gain access to it should they need to prove something like a murder etc. then fine but not just at will.
The real battle for privacy is online. I know, "Those who trade liberty for freedom deserve neither" but two members have mentioned they know people killed by illegals. It's completely out of control in California and something has to be done. They still have the right to bear arms and speak their mind, rights that citizens of any other country can only dream of.
34.gif

The real battle for privacy is online. I know, "Those who trade liberty for freedom deserve neither" but two members have mentioned they know people killed by illegals. It's completely out of control in California and something has to be done. They still have the right to bear arms and speak their mind, rights that citizens of any other country can only dream of.
34.gif

I get that and I get something has to be done but once this privacy is eroded it's hard to get back and I'm sure other policies and enforcement is possible without eroding privacy further.

Do you have a phone, computer or any other electronic device?

I never said I agreed with this either and I do limit what information it is sending out in various ways. Plus I can "choose" to carry it or not. There is a difference.

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with it, it just makes it easier to their job that they can already do, it just may take a little more time. Every time you go out and have a cell phone it rats your location out, cameras at gas stations, every credit/debit card terminal, toll roads, etc.

All I can say is wow, and that I'm glad our privacy commissioner is raising flags about it to the general population here to be aware that it will go on if we head south to the U.S. for a trip. I'm also glad they aren't doing it here in the same manner.

It's too Orwellian for my liking. I hope for the U.S. citizen sake it never turns into that.

Originally Posted by 02SE

Shouldn't we deal with the problem in the first place and not give up privacy as a secondary method?

That is dealing with it. You have license plates on your car, as a means of identification. I don't see a privacy issue with cameras in public. Philly has been using cameras to find parking violators and unpaid tickets for years, but you mention illegal aliens and suddenly its a big deal.

And what's to stop them from driving other peoples cars or rentals?

I don't give them the keys!

Insurance follows the car, points follow the driver.

If you loan your car , you take the risk.

I'd love to see the cameras find the uninsured cars and tow them to impound. You get it out when you have proof of insurance, registration and a valid drivers license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back