Ice on inside of windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a new 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe in April. The wife complained that this morning she had to use the scraper on the inside of the windshield. I told her to crack the window a little or both sides to let the car vent. It may be too air tight.

????

Originally Posted by Starman2112
Too much humidity inside the cabin.

Originally Posted by JC1
Recirculate mode on accidentally? I live somewhere colder than you and I've never scraped the inside of a windshield in my life.

+1

the recirc mode is commonly used in summer for max cooling.
Many drivers forget to turn this off in fall/winter and it leads to excessive humidity in the interior and condensation (which turns to ice in colder temps).
Living in Canada, I've personally never had this happen on my cars, but seen it on others.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
Bought a new 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe in April. The wife complained that this morning she had to use the scraper on the inside of the windshield. I told her to crack the window a little or both sides to let the car vent. It may be too air tight.

????

Happened to me a week ago..... same vehicle / same model / same age. Change your circulation mode.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648

????

normal, sometime it happens

Have not seen ice on the inside windshield, since i owned an aircooled porsche 914.

I agree ,turn off the recirc, and i run the ac when defrosting to dry the air.

Last edited:
Also clean the inside of the windshield. Dirt gives water molecules more surface area to cling to.

Back in the day, I remember using a cigarette lighter to thaw the frost off the inside of the windshield while driving. Air cooled VW. Think no heat. It was better to open the outside air vents to direct outside air to the windshield because the humidity from your breath would condense on the windshield and freeze.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Check the carpets, everywhere, see if they are damp.

This I agree with as well. The humidity is coming from somewhere. If it continues without finding a source I would have the dealer check it out under warranty.

That used to happen all the time on VW beetles. I remember people scraping both inside and outside - while driving! In that case it was the limited heater.

Sounds like your issue is recycle mode.

My old 2004 VW Passat did this frequently in the winter. Summer, not so much
lol.gif

Needs to run the A/C full time with climate control for atleast a few weeks, she may be turning off the A/C if the LED light is on not knowing its important roll in removing moister from the inside of vehicle windows. A/C while front/rear defroster runs also, A/C will dry air like a dehumidifier. You have too much moisture trapped in the vehicle.

Part of the issue might be sitting in the car too long after shutting it off.
My GF has this habit, she'll park, turn off the car, then spend a minute or so getting stuff in her purse, etc. before exiting the car.
Sitting there with the car off means no fresh air through the vents which means all the moisture you exhale stays in the car.

Also, snow melting off your shoes collects in the mats. These only dry out if you go on a long drive (an hour or more?) so if you're doing a lot of short trips it will collect there and add humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back