Ice maker troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to baby along our 16 year-old Whirlpool refrigerator. The ice maker is not kicking out the ice cubes, that is until I jiggle the white fingers, tap the unit and close the door. Then you hear the normal subtle winter wind 'whish' noise, a soft tat-tat-tat-at-at-t-t-t and a few minutes later a clunk of cubes fall out and it refills. It seems if I jiggle the fingers, it causes it to go through the heating cycle to loosen the cubes.

I have watched all the online videos and taken the end off. There does not seems to be any corrosion that would keep the heater from kicking in. Water line tests out fine.

I suppose I should buy a replacement ice maker unit, but I hate to put another $50 into it. Any thoughts as to what is keeping it from going through the cycle of ejecting the cubes?

Toss the ice maker and buy those plastic ice trays. The ice makers seem to wear out too fast ..

Originally Posted by CT8
Toss the ice maker and buy those plastic ice trays. The ice makers seem to wear out too fast ..

I agree. Automatic ice makers are always a constant maintenance item.

Originally Posted by CT8

Yeah, stupid thing only lasted 16 years... ;7)

Some kind of switch you're tripping when you jiggle?

If you're nursing the frig along to EOF then which is easier, jiggle the fingers or cube trays?

I had to repair ours twice. First time the bushing was corroded. The second time the switch wouldn't engage because of warping plastic.

I find automatic ice makers a nuisance for a number of reasons. On top of the list is that it's a leak point to flood the kitchen.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Whats the model?

side by side ed5ftgxkq01

I just replaced a refrig of about the same age with a new GE. Great sale last Black Friday. Wife wanted SS vs black and the new one was more energy efficient. The old one seemed to be running a lot with no one opening the door.

I would fiddle with what you have but would not buy a new ice maker as a part.

Ice cube trays. Like the old days.

tapping on it would seem to indicate a flaky switch OR a worn cam lobe that actuates the switch as the fingers come around. Look in the gearbox for the finger mechanism ...it may be as easy as bending the micro-switch lever with needlenose pliers.

+1 on ice trays. My Amana flooded the house when the solenoid failed to close the water valve. Came home to see water coming out the weep holes in the brick. Replaced solenoid, all ok for a few months then it happened again while i was home. My Dads years ago would not dump the cubes and we traced it to sediment from the water well. It settled on the bottom of the tray creating some grip on the cubes. New tray (and deeper well-350' vs 60') fixed his.

I saw a dark spot on the hard wood floor under the fridge when I bought my house, so I know this happened once already, and I decided to disconnect the water line to the fridge. Problem prevented.

Originally Posted by rekit
+1 on ice trays. My Amana flooded the house when the solenoid failed to close the water valve. Came home to see water coming out the weep holes in the brick.

Similar story. My friend has a super nice, newer McMansion in the northern suburbs, just a few years old. Had his ice maker hooked up and everything working. Last year he went to Europe for five days for a business conference. Well, they estimate probably on day one or early day two of the trip, his ice maker water line for some reason ruptured right where it entered the fridge. He came home on a Sunday evening, worn out from being gone for almost a week and spending all day flying in from overseas, just wanted to get in and relax before thinking about going to work the next morning.... Noticed water puddling on the front step. Opened the front door, and what appeared to be about 2-3 inches of water started rushing out. Entire main floor flooded ankle deep. After letting the water drain out the front door for about ten minutes he ran in and tried to find the source. Finally found it after hearing the water trickling from behind the fridge. Opened the door to his basement and found several inches of water down there, water pouring down the steps like a waterfall and a constant rain down from the floor above. Almost $80,000 in damage to his basement, carpet, antique pinball machines, years worth of tax records and family pictures damaged, main floor hardwood floors, furniture, cabinets, wiring, and drywall etc. Took about six weeks of rebuilding and rehab. Had to remove the entire hardwood flooring, subflooring, carpet, and tile on the main floor, first three feet of drywall, total rebuild of the entire basement, etc. I wouldnt have believed all the damage if I hadnt seen it with my own eyes, all from this stupid ice maker.

Yea... ours is no longer connected. Ice trays for the win

My 12 year old GE ice maker has never given any trouble/ It does not feed ice through the door. My experience is that those that do are very trouble prone.

Eighteen year old GE ice maker that feeds through the door. I do periodically slide the entire assembly out for cleaning and to take some of large pieces of ice out. Now I just reach in and do this since it's much easier. Make sure all the ice in the bin is in the form of cubes. If not reach in and remove the large hunks. Usually they start out at the far corner and work their way in. I also reach in and raise the arm so there's no over abundance of ice in there. When it gets low on ice turn it back on for a day. Then leave shut off for about two weeks. Of course time of year comes into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back