I-15 on a Saturday. (worthless rant post)

It was more of a You're driving that fast in THAT?! more so than Your driving THAT fast?? Seriously junk vehicles not designed for high speeds at all. If this was a german auto bahn with people running proper sports tires and paying attention that would be fine.

Don't know....

In semi heavy traffic.... Driving way faster than 98 percent of the other vehicles on the road.... Is a recipe for bad accidents. I don't care what they are driving....

Light or hardly any traffic....

I don't care no where near as much.

I get passed by a cat going 105 mph on interstate 64 at 130 am with hardly any traffic at all. Say 1 to 5 vehicles per mile section of interstate .... Not worrying.

Or getting passed by 4-5 motorcycles going 160-180 mph at 1230 am with hardly any traffic... Not all too concerned.

Getting passed by idiots going 90-105 mph with a good bit of traffic out.... Aka for every mile of interstate there are 30+ vehicles in each one mile section... is concerning. Don't care if they are driving a complete hoopty... Or a Ferrari.... Or a Rousch Mustang.

The real question is why you aren't just getting the phone delivered to you online.
I dunno i just wanted to have it ASAP. Wife said to just ship it but i can't wait for iphones. The day they come out is the day they start getting old.

I thought I-15 was 80 mph speed limit? Or must be a different area.

In 2014 I had a 97' Camry I drove up to Montana and took the I-15. I usually go 5-10 over but with the 80 mph speed limit, that's what I went. Didn't want to blow that thing up :ROFLMAO:

You can go 80 on many parts of I15 but in the utah county salt lake county areas its reduced. Not that it stops people from doing 90+ swerving around in their 10 year old rav 4.

It was more of a You're driving that fast in THAT?! more so than Your driving THAT fast?? Seriously junk vehicles not designed for high speeds at all. If this was a german auto bahn with people running proper sports tires and paying attention that would be fine.

Also, on the autobahn overtaking vehicles stay to the left...

I’ve found people don’t follow the “keep right except to pass” laws and are content doing the speed limit or less in the left lane, leading people to pass on the right.
Hate these drivers, really bad on the I-5 cruising thru Cent Cal where it's only 2 lanes, they'll do the speed limit of 70 and park their fat butts on the left lane forcing you to go around them on the right lane. Can't tell you how many times i've rode their butts and flashed my lights and they won't move. :mad:

Hate these drivers, really bad on the I-5 cruising thru Cent Cal where it's only 2 lanes, they'll do the speed limit of 70 and park their fat butts on the left lane forcing you to go around them on the right lane. Can't tell you how many times i've rode their butts and flashed my lights and they won't move. :mad:
Driving 101... that's even more reason not to move.

All the more you create road rage and get your butt shot at by some crazy driver worse than me. ;)

It is real bad here. The section through cajon is either a racetrack with no police anywhere or closed due to a crash. It's taking 8+ hrs to get from Vegas to Victorville (200m) due to all the traffic.

Not law here. Exception being trucks.
California does have a law on it.

(a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.

California does have a law on it.

(a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.
Definitely not enforced then.

So we loaded up the Carnival to travel to the fabled Apple store, about 30 miles away. (Had to buy the wife that new purple iphone 12 mini of course)

This freeway has 70-75 MPH limits. So people interpret that as Hey lets go 60. or Hey lets go 99mph. We also have a double lined HOV/carpool lane that your not supposed to cross. Guess what people did several times.

These are not high performance cars speeding. Its a CUV flying by a lifted HD truck. One guy was ripping past our 80 mph reasonable speed in a 100 series land cruiser.
I'm just thinking, can't we all just pick a speed and follow that? How about staying in ones lane? Perhaps not breaking laws on the double lines? How about not passing on the right at 100 mph with very little space for you to get back over?

/rant complete.
Utah is becoming a very transient area. Arizona, Florida, urban areas of Texas the same thing.

People that commute in very transient areas are subject to drivers that drive the way they were taught in the area they grew up in/ lived prior. Put all those different drivers together in Phoenix, SLC, Dallas, Tampa, Miami, Denver.... and traffic will never flow, it will be mixes of extremes to which you mentioned.

In Utah on I15/I80 you are likely driving to a high density of Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City, Boston, etc drivers. All those cities have different methods of interstate driving. They all get blended together not so smoothly on I15/I80 in Utah.

The ones I really hate are the drivers who enter a 75mph highway going literally 30!! Creepers need to quit creepin' and light a fire under their ass.
OMG this is a giant pet peeve of mine. Practically the only thing that get's me mad driving these days. My entrance to I75 does not merge to 3 lanes for at least 4 miles. Do you think people would get to highway speed and go? No way, let's get on the highway at 30mph, TT screaming by at 80 and no one knows where the accelerator pedal is. AHHHGRHH I am getting amped up just sitting here.

I'm old enough to remember when I-5 was brand new. Hardly any traffic at all on it. Middle of freaking nowhere. Pool table smooth road surface. Laser straight for miles. The few people who were on it cruised at a steady 85 to 90 mph. I had 2 or 3 cars up to 130+ on that highway late at night, literally no one else in sight.

Scott

PS You want crazy now? Drive over the Grapevine and descend into the LA Basin. 30 - 40 mph speed differentials are common.

Last edited:
Back