I would like to find the PCV valve onthe Zetec 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Check Engine light is really getting to me. My aunt says "The mechanics say its very hard to get to" well, is that true? Its a 2002 Ford Focus, either LX or SE, I will have to look again. I thought i saw the word Zetec on the top of the engine.

Her car also gets 17MPG, and jumps out of gear a lot though yesterday it ran perfect for the whole second part of our highway trip for 40 miles. I do not know what its issue is
21.gif

I also saw a 2003 Transmission that has notes "ck id xs4r n5lua" from car-part.com and i do not know what this means, trying to help my aunt out here, maybe even change her PCV valve
21.gif

I am most curious to know if that 2003 trans will bolt up to the 2002. If they are all 2.0's.. perhaps i need to call and ask what specific car it came out of.

I would have to verify when I get to work again but IIRC some of those engines had the PCV valve built into the valve cover and they actually were not serviceable or replaceable without replacing the whole valve cover assembly.

Just found this...

http://www.focushacks.com/?modid=70&ht=PCV%20Valve%20replacement%20%28Zetec%20engine,%20maybe%20others%29

Hopefully that helps.

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
Just found this...

http://www.focushacks.com/?modid=70&ht=PCV%20Valve%20replacement%20%28Zetec%20engine,%20maybe%20others%29

Hopefully that helps.

That may do it for that!
smile.gif
Ill check it out soon!

Lord, i hope that is for a 2002.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
Just found this...

Hopefully that helps.

Thats it, its attached to the little elbow hose. You might need a flathead scrwedriver to pop it out of the valve cover otherwise no tools. You also don't need to raise the car just pop the hood and replace it takes 5 minutes.

I have a 2001 Focus and I change mine from under the car. It sits near the top but may be covered in dirt and grease.

It is harder to find than to change, just get a flashlight and look near the top/front (not on top at least on mine)of engine.

The transmission issue is that it needs a fluid flush. I told you that. Ours was being goofy in a similar manner when we got it.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
The transmission issue is that it needs a fluid flush. I told you that. Ours was being goofy in a similar manner when we got it.

OVERK1LL I totally understand and believe you but i have the case of a car with a stupid owner that says 1) "The fluid doesnt look that bad, its not black" 2) "Three different mechanics have told me thats not it" and then 3) She got me all excited to try to remove the line (which sounds really, really easy, i have done it on a car i once had) and then said "We shouldnt do it because three diferent mechanics have told me it wont do anything."

Its like talking to a brick wall, with her.

My next plan of attack is to say "Look lets TRY it, and if it doesnt work we have ths whooole transmission lined up." (She sems to think since the fluid isnt black and tarlike its fine. Oy!)

Thinking Royal Purple ATF? Might as well put in the good stuff, all 8 quarts right, if thats all it takes. I believe you.... im not the owner... its frustrating.

I PMd this to you as well, i know you feel like i wasnt taking your advice in reality the owner of the car is treating me being willing to FIX THE CAR as it appeared i took your advice, that is to say, didnt provess it and its maddening
21.gif

@45ACP:

From what I have read about your "aunt" I would not do anything further to the vehicle because if something goes wrong on your watch you are never going to hear the end of it. Have her take the car to a reputable shop and let them take care of it. You've been warned! LOL

Originally Posted By: urchin
@45ACP:

From what I have read about your "aunt" I would not do anything further to the vehicle because if something goes wrong on your watch you are never going to hear the end of it. Have her take the car to a reputable shop and let them take care of it. You've been warned! LOL

There is nothing more maddening than an uneducated FOOL (my aunt, she really knows nothing about cars, she got MAD AT ME when i told her the engine sounded quieter after i topped up her oil today............. yeah, wow, id have to put up a word that gets censored to describe that one) that presumes to be correct in EVERY situation telling me that IDIOTS whom she regards as knowing what they are talking about have told her that the fluid IS NOT the problem, when OVERK1LL has said with a fair degree of certainty and personal experience that his EXACT CAR is doing the EXACT SAME THING and .... yeah my opinion means nothing. My aunt is a trip. She really has me realizing how sit is Ok for her to go off on tyraids anbout 10 minutes long at a time about how she had this happen, and tha,t and this, etc etc.. more or less going to the point that she "cant be wrong"... Trust me, ANY attempt at correcting her, or providing rational insignt is met with this world-class "I used to eat $500 meals" trip.

Its pretty funny that this uneducated person, that admits that I know what im talking about with cars, can 5 minutes later, tell me, during a rant of one-upmanship encompassing everything from being raised on a farm to eating $500 meals to having family members abused as a child (?) in all manner of seriousness, ,that the Transmission fluid is "NOT THE PROBLEM." uggggh. I dont know what to do here. I think she is manic, and im TRYING to help her.. but she is so demeaning, its hard. I dont even know if she means what she says. She sure seems like she does. And its soo irrelevant, the things she says, im thinking she is truly psycho. (She needs to make it out that her experiences are more serious than mine, therefore my knowledge is insufficient to tell her HER car has a problem that I know what it is.)

I dont know who is worse, my brother in law with the Mystique (whom i told politely he could go F himself) or my Aunt, lol. Also, if she is educated about anything, with my right hand to God i can say that cars is NOT it. She has a conspiracy theorist vibe about how fast food and Walmart is evil to that a certain political party has ruined America to.. she basically has DELUSIONS. And her delusions are now mine. I TRY not to hear it, but my attempts to deflect dont work.. i am basically FORCED to. Maybe i should not talk to her. Hard, we live in the same house this winter.

Debating. I dont like this. And, FTR, if i didnt love cars and KNOW I COULD FIX THE PRIOBLEM i would have no problem taking that advice, urchin... because then you are right, she drove it for a long time with the trans not acting right, and i touch the car i would have "broke it" even though ITS HER, OMG..I see where this is going.

1) It IS a Zetec

2) We found transmission, same car same year $350 installed.

Maybe there is hope, after all.

(And, sure enough.. it "WASNT" the fluid, as i predicted. "Only people that have that problem MINORLY have fixed it with the fluid." Uh-huh.)

Now we saw a millipede, so she "lived on a split level on the lake with a foot long millipede." Ahhh.

Oh dude, run away, RUN AWAY!!! From the sounds of things, you do NOT want to be involved in this. My initial suggestions were in regards to helping a family member out, since we went through the same experience with ours, which has been perfect since. However, your situation is in no way similar with your aunt, since you are [censored] if you do and [censored] if you don't. I'd cut my losses......

Oh dude, run away, RUN AWAY!!! From the sounds of things, you do NOT want to be involved in this. My initial suggestions were in regards to helping a family member out, since we went through the same experience with ours, which has been perfect since. However, your situation is in no way similar with your aunt, since you are [censored] if you do and [censored] if you don't. I'd cut my losses......

Getting to that point. She just told me she found a transmission for $350 ready to be installed, and when i said i could help she is [censored] about the "cooling system."

Not good. not good.

Yes Yes Yes

You did a good deed changing the oil and pcv for her, leave it at that. She is an adult and when her car breaks its her problem not yours.

Face the engine as you open the hood.
Under the exhaust manifold to the right is the PCV valve. The rubber elbow on the line often fails and leaks.

Originally Posted By: someguy

Yes Yes Yes

You did a good deed changing the oil and pcv for her, leave it at that. She is an adult and when her car breaks its her problem not yours.

The writin is on the wall.

Perhaps my post regarding this car should be:

1) It IS a Zetec

2) We found transmission, same car same year $350 installed.
She still "KNOWS FOR A FACT"
lol.gif
it ISNT the fluid, though she was worried about it three days ago.
lol.gif

3) When this 16V Zetec stops running and this person gets what she wants, ill be far away, working a job back home that doesnt depend on her to feed her ego.
smile.gif

Im wondering why i even topped up another half quart of oil to her car.

I don't know if it's the same as your Zetec. My 1996 Zetec Contour has the PCV somewhere in the front of the engine. From what I saw it's a real bear to change. They had to wait until the front cat cooled enough to get to it. Good luck.

Whimsey

That is a though one. Somehow, a picture of a robot repeating "Danger, Danger Will Robinson" came to mind....

You may be able to fix the car. On the other hand, it may be more prudent to gracefully bow out while you can. It seems like she is the type of person that will blame you for things that you have not caused. The more you do, the more she may blame on you.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
That is a though one. Somehow, a picture of a robot repeating "Danger, Danger Will Robinson" came to mind....

You may be able to fix the car. On the other hand, it may be more prudent to gracefully bow out while you can. It seems like she is the type of person that will blame you for things that you have not caused. The more you do, the more she may blame on you.

+1. It is a lost cause. My aunt has psychological issues, as did my stepbrother with the Mystique. It is called car retardation, along with a genuine case of being an Censored.

Aunt found mechanic to drop pan, clean solenoid, and throw used trans out of wrecked car for $400 max (and into hers if fluid/pan/solenoid clean doesnt do it. Probably will though.) Her "shifter solenoid" is in the pan. Focus Forums are amazing. Not that im touching it anymore. (And here is a hint: its never making it to the mechanic, if you know what i mean. It was more of a faked interest to get me to shut up. Months later i will hear about "what went on the car;" she isnt fooling anyone, she can get a new one, or it fixed, and chooses not to. If you know what i mean.) And i got suckered in, now i need to remove my interest from a car that isnt nearly as messed up as she makes it out to be, its played up when someone offers to fix the problem.. Sad.

Actually i found the guy while shopping for the part, but. I hope they hit it off.

I topped off oil.. and thats all ill do. lol

I am beginning to believe Ford Focii are RESILIENT with the amount of start it up, drive away two seconds later first thing in the morning, transmission abuse (that probably isnt the transmission, not that it matters) is going on with this person. I feel bad for whoever goes under the car. No appreciation. None. Except for the self-serving fake kind, .. good riddance.

Im also not staying up here. Time to relocate. Away from HER. Screw the Focus. Peppy little car, but.. bleh.

And i coulda fixed it, too. Maybe when it dies someone will buy it and be good to it, and not (im really glad i caught that typo it got around the censor totally on accident, the word typed would have been censored, so i will just put "Censored" again) about everything in an attempt to resist the efforts to fix a car someone wants to fail. Isnt that a shame? /endrant.

(No more Focus. I tried. And i appreciate yall also fixing the problem. Apologies it was lost cause. The
thumbsup2.gif
.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back