I wonder sometimes.....

4WD

Messages
17,471
Location
Texas
Originally Posted by SeaJay
Originally Posted by Chris142
I am not amazed at all. I have a van in the shop with 9+ year old Firestone tires that are dry rotted and cracked. They want the AC fixed for their trip to AZ. I mentioned the tires and they are not concerned.
Not everyone is a fan, but annual state mandated safety inspections have their place.
Yeah and I get mine done at the local Goodyear (sells several brands) so not getting away with bad tires there.
 
Messages
530
Location
Houston, Texas
Quote
The Honda requires it what? Once per timing belt swap at 100k?
After the warranty expiration so if the buyer doesn't trade in he/she takes it in the exhaust pipe courtesy Honda. . Care to quote the labor on a valve adjustment?
 
Messages
24,451
Location
CA
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Quote
The Honda requires it what? Once per timing belt swap at 100k?
After the warranty expiration so if the buyer doesn't trade in he/she takes it in the exhaust pipe courtesy Honda. . Care to quote the labor on a valve adjustment?
Usually the valve adjustment and spark plugs are sold together. Local market price is about $800 for the package. The Timing Belt pkg is usually around $1200.
 

JHZR2

Staff member
Messages
46,419
Location
New Jersey
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
That's a down payment, which is what Honda wants. See how that works? Engineered obsolescence.
Ummm, whats the total outlay, not just the down payment. Math abuse right there. $800 for valve adjustment and spark plugs is nuts! 6 cyl FWD cars are ridiculous too. Spoken from an Odyssey owner. On a 4 cyl honda, which is much more common in terms of numbers, it should be fast. I can adjust the valves on a 4 or 5 cyl diesel in 45 minutes start to finish, including taking all the tangle of junk (emissions, transmission, cruise contol pieces) off of the valve cover.
 
Messages
24,451
Location
CA
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
That's a down payment, which is what Honda wants. See how that works? Engineered obsolescence.
Ummm, whats the total outlay, not just the down payment. Math abuse right there. $800 for valve adjustment and spark plugs is nuts! 6 cyl FWD cars are ridiculous too. Spoken from an Odyssey owner. On a 4 cyl honda, which is much more common in terms of numbers, it should be fast. I can adjust the valves on a 4 or 5 cyl diesel in 45 minutes start to finish, including taking all the tangle of junk (emissions, transmission, cruise contol pieces) off of the valve cover.
The $800 price is already at menu pricing. If you go off of actual book time at the normal shop labor rate, the number is significantly higher. Prodemand lists valve clearance adjustment at 4.5 hours. The spark plugs list for $30.65/each. Valve Cover Gaskets are $20/ea. [Linked Image] That $1600 price only includes the belt, spark plugs and valve adjustment; it does not include the water pump or the hydraulic tensioner. The water pump lists for $191.80 and there is still a cost for coolant and an additional 1/2hr-1hr of labor time. The hydraulic tensioner is an extra $182.77.
 
Last edited:

JHZR2

Staff member
Messages
46,419
Location
New Jersey
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
That's a down payment, which is what Honda wants. See how that works? Engineered obsolescence.
Ummm, whats the total outlay, not just the down payment. Math abuse right there. $800 for valve adjustment and spark plugs is nuts! 6 cyl FWD cars are ridiculous too. Spoken from an Odyssey owner. On a 4 cyl honda, which is much more common in terms of numbers, it should be fast. I can adjust the valves on a 4 or 5 cyl diesel in 45 minutes start to finish, including taking all the tangle of junk (emissions, transmission, cruise contol pieces) off of the valve cover.
The $800 price is already at menu pricing. If you go off of actual book time at the normal shop labor rate, the number is significantly higher. Prodemand lists valve clearance adjustment at 4.5 hours. The spark plugs list for $30.65/each. Valve Cover Gaskets are $20/ea. [Linked Image] That $1600 price only includes the belt, spark plugs and valve adjustment; it does not include the water pump or the hydraulic tensioner. The water pump lists for $191.80 and there is still a cost for coolant and an additional 1/2hr-1hr of labor time. The hydraulic tensioner is an extra $182.77.
Yup, but buy once cry once. Comparing that to a down payment (which on a ~$40k V6 SUV or Van, should notionally be at least twice that), is just silly, because once this is done it is amortized over another 100k... While a down payment is just the beginning, towards years of $500/month payments...
 
Messages
9,832
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by JHZR2
$800 for valve adjustment and spark plugs is nuts!
grin2 So are you declining the valve adjustment at 100k? My DIY buddy just bought an 18 Odyssey(much to my surprise, its his first honda and transverse V6) and its coming up on spark plug and valve check time so I'm interested on how he gets on with it.
 

JHZR2

Staff member
Messages
46,419
Location
New Jersey
Originally Posted by IndyIan
Originally Posted by JHZR2
$800 for valve adjustment and spark plugs is nuts!
grin2 So are you declining the valve adjustment at 100k? My DIY buddy just bought an 18 Odyssey(much to my surprise, its his first honda and transverse V6) and its coming up on spark plug and valve check time so I'm interested on how he gets on with it.
Given that I adjust the valves in my Mercedes Diesels, other than the hassle of the rear bank access, I will either DIY or pay the dealer. Absolutely. A new van is $40k+, while a good running van will last to 200k+. Financial sense even if $.
 
Messages
18,456
Location
NH
One of those things that ya have to write into the calculations before buying. Go in with all the info--I like to know tire costs also before buying. $1,600 every 4yr/100k, that's only $400 per year to save up. Get an envelope and toss $35 or so into it every month. That said, ya would hate to buy a used version with 95k on the clock and then suddenly be hit with that bill, not if you didn't factor that into the purchase cost.
 
Messages
6,550
Location
Connecticut
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Yup, but buy once cry once. Comparing that to a down payment (which on a ~$40k V6 SUV or Van, should notionally be at least twice that), is just silly, because once this is done it is amortized over another 100k... While a down payment is just the beginning, towards years of $500/month payments...
Of course, but we are talking about people who don't think long term. "$2000 to maintain my current 100k+ Honda or put that money down on a new shiny one" is how some people think.
 
Messages
8,163
Location
MI
Originally Posted by supton
One of those things that ya have to write into the calculations before buying. Go in with all the info--I like to know tire costs also before buying. $1,600 every 4yr/100k, that's only $400 per year to save up. Get an envelope and toss $35 or so into it every month. That said, ya would hate to buy a used version with 95k on the clock and then suddenly be hit with that bill, not if you didn't factor that into the purchase cost.
I wonder if these costs are considered in the cost of ownership data I look at when shopping new vehicles?? It seems that these "extra" costs might over-ride other factors like high resale value to make it a wash in the end. Interesting. But, if you really like a vehicle and there are no other suitable alternatives, you just have to accept it for what it is. I am fortunate to be able to DIY a lot of stuff (not everything).
 

clinebarger

Thread starter
Messages
5,767
Location
Fort Worth, Texas
2016 Ram 1500, 3.6L/8HP, 48,xxx miles....Auction rat brought in by a car lot client. Concern.....Check engine light. DTC's....... P0394, CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR INTERMITTENT - BANK 2 SENSOR 2 P06DD, ENGINE OIL PRESSURE CONTROL CIRCUIT STUCK OFF Both these codes can be caused by low oil level, Check the oil & none showed on the stick....Well it did have chunks of goo on it. Had to pull both valve covers & the lower oil pan to flush the engine out with Kerosene, Button it back up & change the oil & filter twice. Didn't have time to take pics of the engine (Full 12 hour day for me!) But I did snap a pic of the filter that came out & the truck....Wouldn't post a pic of a customers personal vehicle! But like I said, Auction RAT!! [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
 
Top