i wonder about oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
i usally or i should say i have used synthetic oil since the seventies as iam getting to be an old man(65) i wonder if iam getting wiser or senile i change oil every 5000 miles. i live on the st lawrence river across fron ontario canada we do get weather that is below zero every winter.most old timers,older than me still use 10/30 and their cars start just fine.even when they buy new cars they use it they always laughed at me for using synthetic.the state of new york buy quite a few new cars and trucks and put two to three hundred thousand miles on them before they auction them off and guess what they use.amercian choice re refined oil in bulk tanks and all 10/30 new cars trucks tractors lawn mowers anything that uses oil they all get the same.that includes the state hospital predeters unit and the two prisons.conventional oil is close to sythentic mobile even says their super 5000 is good for five thousand miles.although the other oils dont say that i guess they are as a lot of the members here go that far on qsgb pyb vavoline and even st.thinking of going conventional after i use up my stash.so the question remains am i getting wiser or senile?

IMO...You can always pick up some conventional oil on clearance, in a lighter grade, for blending with your 10W-30 synthetic.

IMO...You can always make a blended mix of 50/50 or 60/40 of Conventional to your Synthetic, for a thinner oil for winter.

As long as the oil is API-SM or SN all conventional oils mix with synthetic oils.....it says so right on the bottle and jug.

Last edited:
i am not saying i use 10/30 i dont.i use 5/20 as that is what my two cars call for and they are under warrenty now.just wondering if iam wasting money and resourses.

Corvettes come from the factory with Mobil 1 in the crankcase. Synthetic oil does not have to do much to be worth the extra $10 for a 5 QT jug at Walmart. I go 7500 on PP or PU. Thats 2 oil changes a year roughly. So for $20 extra a year I can get PU which is probably the best easily available oil. Its also very close to the top with respect to all oils. Mobil 1 is right up there also and easily available.

I always look at it like the old commercials, despite having a healthy case of BITOG induced OCD!

Oil is relatively cheap when compared to an engine.

But please note that if you change at shorter intervals there seems to be little benefit.

I believe you're getting wiser.

Honestly if it makes you happy using synthetic and the cost isn't a problem, don't worry about it. As far as resourses go, either running the synthetic longer or using conventional instead will both save some resources. Your car will likely live a long happy life either way.

I have synthetic in my cars right now, I got caught up in the superior product (and Patriotism) but I just bought a jug GTX on an excelent sale for my next oil change. As you a said, there are a lot of engines running conventional in our climate and surviving. A lot have for years with oil that was probably not as good as what is on the shelf today. Do what ever lets you sleep at night!

I use conventional becaue I like changing it and looking over the car every 3k miles....no need for SYN with that as long as its changed at a routine amount of time then any good oil will work

Wiser.

I am going conventional also, although we will still use syn in winter...for the "FEEL GOODS". LOL

cheers3.gif

Hello, I like this thread. While my brother's 2007 Odyssey gets the 5W-20 Honda calls for year round and the 2 Saab 9-5's get the Mobil1 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-30, European formulas, for turbo lubrication; my Volvo non-turbo gets jug dino 5W-30 in the Summer because it's today's good oil. Come cooler months the V70 gets synthetic 5W-30 for start up protection. I don't wonder about oil much more than that. I just keep it clean. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back