I wish Wix filters had a textured grip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the best reason to keep using the Purolator P1!

Are the Puro Synthetic filters OK to use?

Fram have the grip you speak of on the end of the filter..
grin.gif
...sorry I couldn't resist.

I believe the puro synthetics are good, they are reinforced, however Fram Ultra is a better buy IMO.

I have tried a fram filter with that textured grip ones. Mounting and later removing. The car was a Ford mondeo 3.0 v6. And I really dident see it as an advantage in any way. Not as a bad thing either. Just nothing significant about it.

I wonder if you could wrap a circle of safety non slip tape before you install the filter to allow easier gloved removal? maybe even something like a cloth based gaffer's tape, or hockey grip tape?

I might try this on my next OCI actually!

My last oil changes, I was able to remove the filter without any tools anyway, just don't crank it on there too tight during installation!

Why would anyone want the textured grip? I have never seen a useful application for one on an oil filter. Just buy the proper tool to remove a filter and the textured grip is not needed.

Buy a pack of gritty sand paper.

Put it in your hand, tighten the filter with the piece of sandpaper.

Done.

That is what I have done for years, this way you get it hand tight, but get a little extra grip.

I'm 70 years old and still change my own oil and filter. Believe my the textured grip surface makes a huge difference for my old arthritic fingers/hands.

As usual many here are so short sighted.

I also found the textured grip on the Fram filters I recently put on my truck and wife's car to be a super advantage. I got the filters hand tight and then snugged them down another half turn easily and without the need for any extra oil filter wrenches, cap wrenches or anything else. The grip surface really does make a nice difference, makes it easier to get the filter installed, even with greasy dirty hands.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I also found the textured grip on the Fram filters I recently put on my truck and wife's car to be a super advantage. I got the filters hand tight and then snugged them down another half turn easily and without the need for any extra oil filter wrenches, cap wrenches or anything else. The grip surface really does make a nice difference, makes it easier to get the filter installed, even with greasy dirty hands.

Boy you are really tightening your filters. Directions I've always read is to spin on till gasket touches mating engine surface then a 1/2 turn. No more.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Why would anyone want the textured grip? I have never seen a useful application for one on an oil filter. Just buy the proper tool to remove a filter and the textured grip is not needed.

Makes them easier to pick up if they have oil all over them
wink.gif

Oil filter wrench. Index mark on filter, 3/4 or snug, done. A good way to remove used filter with no mess would be a better idea, like on my 2000 BMW would be nice.

Last edited:
I don't really care about the texture myself. The PL1011 that was on the Equinox that I took off this weekend was still a bear to get off, even hand tight. Shame the pliers dented the filter a little bit, I was looking forward to cutting it open.

I mostly agree with this.
Tightening a filter with no tools is easy, whether it has a slick finish or is textured.
I can sometines get a textured finish filter off without a wrench, but sometimes not.
It's no great strain just to take a filter wrench under the car with you.
A selection of wrenches isn't a bad idea for the garage, since the right tool will enable you to loosen the most stubborn oil filter.

I don't see where the OP mentioned textured grps in the context of installing or removing filters. But wouldn't a turn of duct tape on the filter solve the problem?

Originally Posted By: jcwit

Boy you are really tightening your filters. Directions I've always read is to spin on till gasket touches mating engine surface then a 1/2 turn. No more.

Hand tight is how I do it. To me hand tight/snugged down is when the gasket hits the filter boss, then turn it another 1/2 to 3/4 turn. I guess that is what I meant by snugged down then another half turn. I have big hands and a very strong grip and kind of do it by feel once I see the gasket meet up with the filter boss. The grip material on both Fram filters did make the tightening process easier, and it should be easier to loosen as well. I have a while to wait before I find out.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I mostly agree with this.
Tightening a filter with no tools is easy, whether it has a slick finish or is textured.
I can sometines get a textured finish filter off without a wrench, but sometimes not.
It's no great strain just to take a filter wrench under the car with you.
A selection of wrenches isn't a bad idea for the garage, since the right tool will enable you to loosen the most stubborn oil filter.

I have filter wrenches, I have filter pliers, I have filter strap tools, but it's even more convenient to just go under the vehicle with the drain pan, box end wrench to remove the drain plug and my hand to remove the filter.

One less thing to get out, one less thing to clean up, one less thing to put away.

I favor the old saying KISS AKA Keep It Simple Stupid

Hand tight is how I do it. To me hand tight/snugged down is when the gasket hits the filter boss, then turn it another 1/2 to 3/4 turn. I guess that is what I meant by snugged down then another half turn. I have big hands and a very strong grip and kind of do it by feel once I see the gasket meet up with the filter boss. The grip material on both Fram filters did make the tightening process easier, and it should be easier to loosen as well. I have a while to wait before I find out.

OK, YUP, that's the way to do it.

Exactly!! When I first saw textured oil filters I laughed..OMG...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back