I wish I had taken a picture.

I recently replaced the leaking sump gasket on my 2004-ish Briggs & Stratton 22HP V twin mower engine. It has somewhere around 700 hours of run time. I can’t be 100% sure of the exact number because there was a short gap between noticing when the old hour meter had died and installing the new one. Anyway, when I owned it up to scrape off the old gasket I was amazed at how clean it was inside the crankcase. If it weren’t for the tiny bit of remaining oil it could have been mistaken for one that had just rolled off the line.

It‘s gotten 25 hour oil changes and 50 hour filter changes since it was new, mostly with Traveler brand 30 grade and then Delo 15w-40 for the last couple of years. There were some numbers written inside the crankcase with some sort of marker or paint pen. I was amazed they were still completely legible after all that time being soaked with hot oil. I wish I knew what they used to write them with.

Yup, regular maintenance with good oil will do that, especially if you keep the fins and blower housing clear of mouse nests so it doesn't overheat. I've seen both, engines with tons of hours that look brand new inside, and some with very low hours that clearly still had the original oil in them their entire lives until it got low and they broke a connecting rod.

Yes it has been my experience that most small engines are killed by no maintenance. I do not ever remember my dad changing the oil in a mower. Funny thing but he was a stickler for regular oil changes in his cars and trucks.

I've read on this site, I believe, that the reason OPE does not form sludge and stay clean is because of the high amount of fuel dilution in the oil acts as a detergent as a result of the fuel-rich carb found on most of these types of engines. I don't know if this is the reason for their engine cleanliness, but it's a theory. All of the OPE engine internals I have also seen have been very clean.

Back