I watched a show on youtube on growing up in past time periods vs today....

Sorry to do this in installments but this post has me thinking...

This led right to us becoming the solipsistic generation. Previous generations really focused on working towards "the greater good" and we said I'm probably never going to measure up anyway, I don't want my parents' lives either because that kind of sucks too, so I'm just going to focus on me and what I want out of life even if it's only good for me and not the greater good at least I'll be "happy". This was the time you started hearing that life is all about happiness and if you're not happy leave your job or move or get divorced or whatever. Your happiness means more than anything and this has been amplified greatly in the current generation. If every day isn't like Disney land you're wasting your life and you need to find your happiness - of course, every day can not be like Disney Land but that doesn't stop people from trying.
Yup..I hear ya. At the start of my 4 year the prof said products are made for stock holders to make money not for the consumer to save money. I knew I had to finish my degree so when I graduated I said to myself screw this and I took over my dads plumbing heating business. My roommate got the regular job. Boy was that close...I would not want his life foir any amount of money.

Well, I have a different story... I had opportunity, went to excellent schools, always worked, sports, helped neighbors and especially my parents. Never went without a meal. Never did homework but excelled in school. The CA promise of low cost, excellent education was mine for the asking.
I also started stealing hard liquor outta my parents cabinet at 13. Regular blackout drinker from day 1. By my mid 20's had destroyed my mind, body and spirit. Anyways, I was broke, homeless and drunk. After my 3rd DD the Judge ordered me to AA and I haven't had a drop since. Over 35 years, but who's counting?
Thanks to the local Community Colleges, San Jose State and Silicon Valley, let's just say things are better now.
People badrap schools, society, whatever. I say stop crying and get into action.

Born in 1963. My first car I bought out of a junk yard. I rebuilt the engine before I was 15 so I could drive. I bought it with money I had earned mowing lawns. It was a different time for sure. I would work anywhere that would let me. We were always able to find each other even though cell phones didn't exist yet.

We watched Stranger Things and it made me long for my youth in the 80’s. We rode bikes, played with toys made of metal, and were kicked outside no matter what the temp unless it was storming or a blizzard. What’s a windchill?

While the big issue of the time was kids being kidnapped, it was generally very safe. We played outside until the streetlight tuned on.

We NEVER ate out other than once or twice a year at McDonalds, unless our grandparents took us out. Money was more scarce then.

Christmas catalogs were the best! As was Cartoons magazine. You had to wait for it, but poured over it when it arrived.

My Grandmother, who grew up on a farm during the depression, told me anyone who longs for the good old days never lived in them.

Born in '70, I think certain things are better now than back then, but society, specifically the way people conduct themselves in public, has decayed. When I flew as a kid, people dressed really well and were on their best behavior on a plane. Need I say more about that? People in public have no regard for anyone, as if they're the only ones on the planet. Courtesy, consideration, and pride in ones' self are gone.

Born in the 80s and most of my childhood was spent in the 90s. It’s fun looking back and realizing how much has changed in the past 30 years. Some things have largely stayed the same, but technology and culture has vastly changed.

I think I miss playing in the woods, riding my bike around the neighborhood and going to the mall with your parents around Christmas time and seeing all your friends with their parents at the mall. Playing Nintendo, renting movies at blockbuster on Friday and getting popcorn and a movie, and using a pay phone to call the parents for a ride home!

I think I just miss being a kid LOL. Some things we have today are amazing but I do miss the times before technology. I didn’t have a cell phone until I got to college.

That being said, memory is viewed through rose colored glasses and most don’t remember the things that weren’t so great. And how many of us had grandparents that fought in WW2 and then Korea. Two wars. I think they’d see things differently than our yearning for the old days. We have problems but dang we still have it pretty good!

There were 3 kinds of MEN I looked up to growing up:
  • Ronald Regan
  • Hulk Hogan
  • Super Man
Mr. Rogers was OK too.

Oh, and every time we heard a helicopter, we ran out to see if it was The A-Team.

If we saw a black Trans Am with the hubcap covered turbo cast wheels, we went crazy!

the values have not changed. It seems more and more do not practice them tho?
/OR/
is that just me (& the few I talk to)?
Did we not transfer them to our chidren('s children)?

the values have not changed. It seems more and more do not practice them tho?
/OR/
is that just me (& the few I talk to)?
Did we not transfer them to our chidren('s children)?
People often complain about "everyone gets a trophy" kids and how that negatively affected those kids as they got older. They often forget to ask themselves who raised the kids who turned into the parents that developed the "everyone gets a trophy" attitude.

Reactions: Pew
I was going more offa #16 "...People in public have no regard for anyone, as if they're the only ones on the planet. Courtesy, consideration, and pride in ones' self are gone...."
Ie - no collaboration, get mine B4 some1 else gets it, me, me, me (the opera), highly compeditive & w/winner take all, tribal, us'n them...

The "good old days" :p

1663594768205.png

I was going more offa #16 "...People in public have no regard for anyone, as if they're the only ones on the planet. Courtesy, consideration, and pride in ones' self are gone...."
Ie - no collaboration, get mine B4 some1 else gets it, me, me, me (the opera), highly compeditive & w/winner take all, tribal, us'n them...
We are reverting to tribalism and that does not bode well for the our tradition of the rule of law. I'm glad I won't be around to see the results. You are not going to like it.

I was born in 1990. I'm thankful that I was able to be a kid before the real progression of technology. I spent most of my childhood outside, riding my bike, playing sports, and later getting into dirt bikes. We had a computer, but it was that thing in the corner of the house we used for book reports, a few games, and checking e-mails from grandma. I just started driving when cell phones were becoming more popular. I remember having to call my parents from the school office to get me if I stayed after school. I can remember the times where I'd be miles from home either by car, by ATV, or by bike without any way to contact anyone, and I'm thankful for that. I think living through that era allows me to still have the ability to disconnect from the news, from technology, and from my phone. I work in the tech field, and prefer my cars without navigation, and prefer my time outside of work spent outdoors or working with mechanical things. I don't think people younger than me have that strong of an ability to disconnect. My younger sisters have it, but definitely not as much. Now parents stick kids in front of an ipad the minute they can sit up by themselves. What happened to being parents? I grew up hating that my parents were old school, and not like my friends who had "modern parents". I'm now glad mine were old school.

Sorry to do this in installments but this post has me thinking...

I think growing up in the 80s we were constantly told we were never going to be good enough and even worse we were going to be the generation to lose America's dominance in the world. We were constantly being told Japanese school kids went to school 3x longer and they outscored us on every exam and one day they'd rule the world. I remember thinking that sucks but I don't want to go to school 3x longer - I wanted to go play football.

In the 90s we were told we were the generation of apathy. Our parents worked non-stop and we didn't want to do that and we thought college was our way out of being a workaholic (Not true necessarily but if you were paid more maybe you'd have to work less was the idea). Playing sports we were constantly compared to previous generations and told we didn't work as hard even though we had similar success.

This led right to us becoming the solipsistic generation. Previous generations really focused on working towards "the greater good" and we said I'm probably never going to measure up anyway, I don't want my parents' lives either because that kind of sucks too, so I'm just going to focus on me and what I want out of life even if it's only good for me and not the greater good at least I'll be "happy". This was the time you started hearing that life is all about happiness and if you're not happy leave your job or move or get divorced or whatever. Your happiness means more than anything and this has been amplified greatly in the current generation. If every day isn't like Disney land you're wasting your life and you need to find your happiness - of course, every day can not be like Disney Land but that doesn't stop people from trying.
Wowsers a nail on head with this post. I was born in 80 so I can relate. You're spot on.. the biggest thing I've had to learn to be happy with what I've got. Yeah our house might not be perfect, our cars and RV might not be either but guess we have them. And paid off to boot. Once I realized that life is a lot simpler and less stressful. Gearing your mind towards the greater good is hard to do since no one else seems to give a flip anymore.

"...able to be a kid before the real progression of..."
my parents said that to me, I bet their;s did to them.
Like enthropy it gust gets more extreem, no?

"...now glad mine (parents) were..."
I actually say that about the g. paents, just as much.
May be I should have been born 3, 4 generations ago?.

"...Gearing your mind towards the greater good is hard to do since no one else seems to give a flip anymore..."
I'm here dude. I find a few, a very few, on that ware length and hold on tight... We created the 'double bubble' as
soon as covid hit. 'Family of choice'? community? friends anyway~

Back