I was wrong regarding flush and coolant change int

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wrong regarding flush and coolant change intervals, when dealing with modern vehicles.

In a somewhat parity of the old standard of the 3K OCI verses now day 5K or more depending on the quality of the oil, oil filter, and application, a good mechanic has pointed out to me that modern vehicles now days have aluminum and plastic radiators, instead of the old copper and steel radiators. And that aluminum and plastic radiators combined with improvements in coolants, means that even people who want to keep their cooling system in the best shape, do not have to flush and change coolant anywhere near as often as they would have when they had vehicles with the old copper and steel radiators and older coolants.

I remember people, including several family members, who had cooling system problems and how they ended up with their vehicle over heated and with them stuck somewhere. Sometimes this would happen in the most inconvenient time, like with the vehicle fully packed with vacation items and the whole family in the vehicle on a hot summer day. And how some of those engines ended up with other problems caused by them being ran too hot.

I remember my dad getting stuck with a car full of boy scouts and camping equipment. That over heat took out a head gasket, and the coolant in the oil damaged the engine, requiring a short block rebuild, along with a new radiator.

I remember my brother in law with a over heating vehicle and rust colored coolant.

I remember a lady with a new to her used vehicle with high millage and how she was stranded with a severally over heated engine, that obviously had a poorly maintained cooling system.

And of course anyone who had driven for several years has seen vehicle stranded on the side of the road with steam coming out of the engine compartment.

So I logically decided to keep to a cooling system maintenance interval that keep the cooling system clean and operating well. But I had not counted on the newer aluminum plastic radiators and newer coolants now days keeping the cooling system in good condition without such frequent flushing and coolant changes.

So while something like flushing the cooling system every 3 or 4 years or even every 2 years, along with changing coolant, may have been a good idea with the older cooling systems with copper and steel radiators, now days with a modern cooling system, it would be a waste of money.

I think the bottom line is, if you want the ultimate in reliability, you might want to go with something like 80 percent of the run time / or miles recommended by the manufacturer / dealer, even if that is much more than you would have ran it with the old cooling system maintenance interval.

I apologize for being wrong in applying old flush / coolant change intervals to modern vehicles, and also I apologize to anyone who used my post about frequent cooling system flushes and coolant changes, that now days is incorrect information.

Sorry about that.

Sincerely,

JimPghPa

P.S. Transmissions without dipstick may have an advantage in that the dipstick was a possible vent allowing contamination of moisture from air that moved in and out with changes in atmospheric pressure. And without this moisture contamination, transmission fluid may have a longer useful life.

Last edited:
It's generally better to be OCD about maintenance than not giving two hoots.
wink.gif

There's room for both. With an iron block, if what comes out looks nasty, flush away. If it's nearly clear, refill.

I'd just save "coolant change day" for a time when if you find complications you can take care of them.

When coolant goes bad electrolosis will eat the radiater and heater. I have not found a way to stop electrolosis. That car will keep eating rads and heaters until the day its scrapped.

I have yet to purchase the pH Test Strips.

But, I think their a 'very good' diagonistic tool.

Most likely, next Summer I will buy them and see if I could extend my
yearly drain/fill (radiator) schedule.

Most likely it could be extended and will save me some money.
grin.gif

Old habits are tough to quite.

Last edited:
I just do a drain and fill of the radiator every year or two for good measure. I assume that's about 50% of the capacity. I use Zerex G-05 in my Chrysler vehicles and my diesel Bobcat.

I would prefer the oil radiators as they could be fixed rather than replaced.

I'll still stick to the old BMW 2-year interval. And that was set on 'modern' plastic/aluminum radiators. Coolant might not gum up or leave deposits like it used to, but it can become acidic, it can cause electrolysis, etc. I don't do a complete flush every 2 years. [censored], I rarely keep a car that long, but when I do - do it like a transmission. Drain the radiator, re-fill. Unless, of course, it's dirty from neglect, then go to town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back