I was robbed! (Also 2019 Ranger Oil Considerations)

So i'm a guy who keeps oil in stock with my favorite filters. For my 2019 Ranger I was using RGT in 5w30.

At my last oil change I went into my oil cabinet for and lo-and behold one of my buddies who was at my shop, used my RGT and didn't replace it! While frustrating I was also stocked in M1 0w40 a classic staple in my oil change inventory.

So the 19 Ranger that I have is off its usual healthy diet of RGT 5w30 and has a belly full of 0w40 M1, at my next oil change I'm debating going to M1 ESP 5w30, seeing how the local supply of RGT has dried up.

TLDR: My buddy used my last RGT supplies without telling me, I'm currently full on M1 0w40 and I'm looking for thoughts on what I should run next in my 19 Ranger with the 2.3 Ecoboost. The truck is modified and I do occasional towing\hauling.

Much appreciated for the info\time.

Thanks all

(PS: I plan to get back at my buddy by taking a case of beer as recompense, what are friends for if not to drink your beer!)

I've been running the Boxed Havoline in mine. Probably what I'll stick with since it hits the specs and is convenient. (@5000 mile intervals)

Was Pro-DS, has changed to something else now. Super Life, Long Life, Might Live......marketing, can't just have a name and stick with it.

--Edit--

'Lifelong' <--yea that stuff

Last edited:
Mobil1 ESP 5W30 should be a fine choice, 0.8% sulfated ash and MB-Approval 229.52 requires LSPI protection. Mobil1 0W40 is probably one of the worst oils to use in a DI engine long term as it's 1.36% sulfated ash and it's high calcium content may not be great in the LSPI protection department but LSPI is more of a problem on smaller sub 2L turbo inline-4 engines.

Some might say you may suffer potential LSPI issues. Others may say you'll suffer potential valve deposit issues.

Nah... motor on. Go back to RGT at the end of this OCI, unless you get some bad engine "feedback."

Nah... motor on. Go back to RGT at the end of this OCI, unless you get some bad engine "feedback."
RGT is dead from what I can tell, every retailer seems to have unloaded it at this point, and Amazon and Walmart have it online but the price has gone up to almost $35/jug, it seems like they might be bleeding out the rest of the stock in their warehouses, Shell reflects that it's been reformulated to SP/GF-6A on their website but I'm not sure any of it actually exists they'll probably produce a run of it if the retailer will buy an entire production run but I think it's going away for good essentially. Quaker State Full Synthetic seems to be fairly close to RGT however and readily available.

RGT is dead from what I can tell, every retailer seems to have unloaded it at this point, and Amazon and Walmart have it online but the price has gone up to almost $35/jug, it seems like they might be bleeding out the rest of the stock in their warehouses, Shell reflects that it's been reformulated to SP/GF-6A on their website but I'm not sure any of it actually exists they'll probably produce a run of it if the retailer will buy an entire production run but I think it's going away for good essentially. Quaker State Full Synthetic seems to be fairly close to RGT however and readily available.
In recent years, I've used RGT, QSUD, Magnatec, and Kirkland-branded 5W-30 oils in 2 of my 3 vehicles. Castrol Edge 0W-40 Euro has been used in a third. With the exception of the SN/SN+ Magnatec 5W-30, All work wonderfully in our vehicles.

Haha, thanks guys all good information. As for the tools\lock, he's a good guy he meant to replace it from when I talked to him but couldn't find it and then forgot. At least he didnt take from my oil filters!

Appreciate all the feedback , i'll keep doing my research.

edge 0w40, full SA but not quite as insane. or even pp euro l 5w30

the saps boogeyman might actually be real, idk
Good thinking, with this being a DIT engine, Edge 0w40 is the better call. QS Euro 5w40 is an option too if you want to save a couple of bucks.

Back