I was accused of theft, how to dispute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So,

I just started a job two months ago. I was written up for theft of wine and pizza. (I Work in one of my state's largest retirement homes). Here's my problem. The vice director i.e. asked how its going. I made a few comments about how my boss is always negative towards myself, even though i have a ton of positive reviews. She told my boss that I complained. Now its retaliatory. I also, mentioned that the two other assistant general managers have gone behind my back to complain that I'm not " cohesive with my co-workers ". Whats the absolute best way to convey with my HR. Has anyone here had to fight a boss or hr? The gloves are off.

This is not the venue for this discussion.

The initial details would be voluminous if we were to even initiate a discussion of this.

I’d recommend a forum in your jurisdiction, perhaps the city-data.com local forums.

Unfortunately it is a battle you're not going to win, as others mentioned. I'd start looking for another job. Here's the rub for me. Once I was 100% certain I had another job, I'd have one hell of a time not telling my boss where to go and what to do when he/she got there. ;)

Never, and I mean NEVER complain to one "boss" about the behaviour of another "boss". It will most certainly get back to them. And when it does, nothing good will become of it. When they ask you how it's going, always say "good". Even if you have to lie. Tell them what they want to hear.... Not what's really on your mind.

Today the workplace seems to be a much more accusatory environment that it was in years past. Add in all of these accusations of, "sexual harassment" that take place every day, and the workplace has turned into a nasty place to be in many companies.

As far as being falsely accused of theft, (or any other dishonest behaviour), a close coworker once told me of a neat "trick" he used to eliminate him from accusations or suspicions of theft, and other improprieties. He said after he was at the company for about 6 months, he took $25.00 out of his own pocket.

He then walked into his supervisors office, (the same guy who hired him), and handed it to him. He said he had just come from the men's room, and he found it lying on the floor in one of the stalls he entered.

He also claimed, (falsely), that he saw someone exiting the stall just before he walked into it. But claimed he wasn't paying any attention who it was. He said if the guy noticed him, and later came to him about the money, he would send them to this supervisor, telling him that he gave it to him for safekeeping.

The entire story was nothing but a total fabrication. But his supervisor couldn't believe it. And later told him he had never seen such a display of honesty in his life. (Who the hell gives up cash they find on the floor of a restroom)? About a week later the supervisor came up to him and gave him the money back. Saying no one had, "claimed it".

So it wound up not costing my friend a cent, but it made him the poster child of honesty throughout that company. Believe me, that story went everywhere.

OMG its not only one company in town

whether its a fact of a fiction, its time to move on for you

clearly they don't want you there

keep in your mind, no-one likes complainers personally or professionally

and yes, actions speak louder than words!

By retirement home, does that mean nursing home? And what do you do there? Food service? What did they say you did? Ate some of their pizza and drink their wine?

For serious legal advice, where the consequences are high, as they are in this matter, you need competent legal counsel. A labor attorney, for example.

I am concerned about “the gloves are off” comment at the end, however. In what way? Who are you going to fight? The Vice Director who relayed your comment? Your boss? Do you think you will win against either of them?

You made the comment. You criticized your boss. No assurance of confidence was offered when you made it, so why would you expect that comment to be held in confidence?

If you “fight”, and we still don’t know who, or how, you plan to fight, what do you expect to gain? Continued employment at a place where you’ve made enemies? Where you’ve been accused of stealing?

Why would you want to work there?

You’ve already said that you don’t like your boss. So, what do you expect the “gloves off” approach will accomplish?

More accusations of theft? Termination? Charges brought against you for the theft?

Escalation is a dangerous game particularly when played against those with more cards than you‘re holding.

Leave, do not tell them who your new employer is.
You don't want to stay at a company that employs those tactics.

Consider it a lesson in office/workplace politics.
Pick your battles carefully. Don't make that mistake in the future.

It's one thing if you are a 30year employee with a solid reputation, but as a 2 month employee, you keep your mouth closed about your boss.

Being serious for a second...

I have learned that say hardly NOTHING negative about anyone to anyone else you work with... Like zero... Trust no one.
And I hate to say this but it's true in my opinion... People will almost always remember when you say anything negative about someone. Even if that is a very, very, very rare occurrence.

Managers will always stick together. Complaining about one manager to another manager is looking for trouble.

An exception is if a manager is engaged in illegal activity that could get the company in very hot water. That's not the case in the OP.

Never, and I mean NEVER complain to one "boss" about the behaviour of another "boss". It will most certainly get back to them. And when it does, nothing good will become of it. When they ask you how it's going, always say "good". Even if you have to lie. Tell them what they want to hear.... Not what's really on your mind.

Today the workplace seems to be a much more accusatory environment that it was in years past. Add in all of these accusations of, "sexual harassment" that take place every day, and the workplace has turned into a nasty place to be in many companies.

As far as being falsely accused of theft, (or any other dishonest behaviour), a close coworker once told me of a neat "trick" he used to eliminate him from accusations or suspicions of theft, and other improprieties. He said after he was at the company for about 6 months, he took $25.00 out of his own pocket.

He then walked into his supervisors office, (the same guy who hired him), and handed it to him. He said he had just come from the men's room, and he found it lying on the floor in one of the stalls he entered.

He also claimed, (falsely), that he saw someone exiting the stall just before he walked into it. But claimed he wasn't paying any attention who it was. He said if the guy noticed him, and later came to him about the money, he would send them to this supervisor, telling him that he gave it to him for safekeeping.

The entire story was nothing but a total fabrication. But his supervisor couldn't believe it. And later told him he had never seen such a display of honesty in his life. (Who the hell gives up cash they find on the floor of a restroom)? About a week later the supervisor came up to him and gave him the money back. Saying no one had, "claimed it".

So it wound up not costing my friend a cent, but it made him the poster child of honesty throughout that company. Believe me, that story went everywhere.
Oh the irony of crafting a completely false scheme to preemptively prove your honest is mind boggling. 😳

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back