I want to use a different oil ! But what brand ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at getting a new car for my Wifes job which requires alot of travel. I am tired of having a deignated oil for each car !

The truck is not much of a problem since it is used for vacation and towing a travel trailer.I have always used Castrol GTX in it with good luck and have recently thought about using another oil in it but now I am thinking why ? The Castrol has been good for it.

I have a 2000 4.6 Mercury and am thinking about a new Honda Civic because I am tired of other problems with her Toyota. Would 5/30 Castrol work in both of these cars ? I see Honda wants owners to use that 5/20 oil. Could I use the Castrol 5/20 in the Mercury even though the owners manual calls for 5/30 ?

If I used Castrol I could just have her take both cars to a oil change center or Walmart.

As long as you change oil at 3K or 4K it really doesn't matter too much what you use. I personally wouldn't use the 20 wt stuff. Thats just me. I also wouldn't get my oil changed at WallyWorld, but again that me again.

We have seen an oil analysis on this board that the 20 wt did seem to hold up OK. : http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000213

The Castrol also has appeared to hold up well on some oil analysis I have seen.

[ November 22, 2002, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

5w20 or 5w30 will work fine in both the Merc and the Honda. Ford released a TSB for the engines that can use 5w20, and the 4.6l V8 is one of the engines. Some folks here are down on 5w20, but the analysis that have been posted here have looked pretty good.

Castrol GTX is a pretty good oil, so no problems there.

Pops,

Ford TSB # 01-4-7 updates TSB 99-8-16 ...this newer TSB recommends 5w-20 for most 1996-2001 ford models/engines. This includes 1992-2001 Crown Vic and Grand Marquis models that use the 4.6L, OHC V-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back