I want to try Mobil 1 again

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Well, I now have my 94 Corolla 1.8L, and I'm doing a lot of driving, and 3,000 mile changes on dino is getting to be a pain in the butt.

Why are you changing every 3,000 miles?

Because I'm anal retentive and I can not get the 3,000 mile oil change interval out of my melon
gr_eek2.gif
I'm now putting on 3,000 miles in about 2 months, so you can see why I need to do a bit more extended drains.

Why is Mobil 1 using slightly less moly now? Are they making it up with some other additive now? It seems like they tweek Supersyn like every two weeks. Now it's got all kinds of calcium.

i'm not so sure it has less moly. I'm going to send off a VOA soon of M1 because I think it needs to be looked at again. Certain engines could be uptaking the moly making it look lower. BTW, I was told that it's not even really Moly. It's a proprietary addtive that shows up as Moly on a scan.
dunno.gif

You can't go wrong with M1 or Amsoil IMO.

quote:

More specifically, a question to Patman: Are LS1s that are known to be slappers, quieter with Supersyn than with trisynthetic, in the same viscosities?

Unfortunately no, people are still reporting a lot of piston slap in LS1s, even with SuperSyn. Many have reported it got a lot quieter when they went to 15w50 SuperSyn though (and others reported Amsoil and Redline also lessened or eliminated the noise). But they are just masking a mechanical problem in all honesty. The thicker oil is absorbing some of the sound.

Even those with piston slap have still shown good UOAs though, so it doesn't seem to harm the engine life, it's just annoying.

One point - M1 5W30 consistently thickens out of grade to a 40 wt at 6-7K miles in my 02 4.3 Silvo if my oil analyzer is to be believed (and I have asked him if he had calibrated his viscometer lately, no response)

Oil analyzers? Is that Amsoil's company? If so it makes me wonder.
rolleyes.gif
I've never seen M1 SS thin or thicken that much at all. It's very possible, but it's been very rare this happens. BTW, I'd like to see a real independent lab test Amsoil and see what they find in terms of benchmark tests. RL proclaimed when they tested S2k it reacted very negaitively with blow by gasses and it effected the performance greatly. This is where real world testing comes into play.

[ October 16, 2003, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
...I can not get the 3,000 mile oil change interval out of my melon...

Drew is that a Melon GT or just the normal street-tuned version?
grin.gif

[ October 16, 2003, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Mobil 1 SS is better than the TriSyn. This is observable in the oil analysis. It does Have Moly and I don't believe that amount has been reduced. The difference in my opinion is not overwhelming. The old 10W-30 really didn't shear down .

You can mix some 15W-50 with the 10W-30 as Patman suggested. It should quiet things down a bit.

I think that the difference in performance between Mobil 1 and Amsoil is small. If UOA's prove to be O.K. , you should be able to easily go beyond 7 or 8 K miles.
smile.gif

OK guys. You probably remember how much I disliked Mobil 1 in my 99 Grand Am GT, 3.4L V6. I didn't keep the vehicle long enough to give SuperSyn a try; trysynthetic was the only version I ever used in it. Long story short, it had piston slap so bad that people near by warned me I was about to lose my motor!
shocked.gif
Regular dino oils made it much much quieter. Well, I now have my 94 Corolla 1.8L, and I'm doing a lot of driving, and 3,000 mile changes on dino is getting to be a pain in the butt. Can you guys safely say that the new SuperSyn is really that much better than trysynthetic? More specifically, a question to Patman: Are LS1s that are known to be slappers, quieter with Supersyn than with trisynthetic, in the same viscosities? Also, I've noticed lately that UOAs reports are showing slightly less levels of moly. SS started out with around 80 ppm, now they are showing up with only about 60ppm. Can anyone address this? Should I give Mobil 1 a shot again, even though I had bad experience with it in the past? Thanks a bunch guys. I can get Amsoil from a neighbor who is a dealer, but I found Mobil 1 at Target for only $ 4.39/quart, which is a great price. Thanks again.

Drew, it's no contest, M1 SS is a much better oil then Trisynthetic. It never shears down or thickens out of grade. I'd be willing to be the 5w/10w-30 have some of the lowest %changes in viscosity. However, it does seem that Amsoil shows better wear in GM engines, more specifically the LS1. Go for it. M1 is good for extended drains.

Addiction I don't believe. Habit maybe. Do the quick change oil places in NA advertise to change oil at 3,000 miles or does maybe the oil companies to sell more product even? My Subaru has 12,500kms (7,770 miles) change interval and most vehicles here are now 15,000kms (9,320 miles) change interval with dino of course. So changing good syn's at 3,000 miles is hard to understand..

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Well why do people in NA change oil every 3,000? I'd sure like to know as its ridiculous.

They simply haven't done UOAs and still think their oil is full of contamination at that point. I'm trying to educate my f-body friends on the net that 3k with synthetic is overkill but yet they still do it. Some Corvette owners are even worse, one guy I ran across changes his oil every 1000 miles!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back