I want to try a "designer" oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is that you can use really expensive oil and change it every 5K, and the cost per mile will still be dwarfed by allocable cost per mile of depreaciation, insurance and fuel expense. If you want to use a botique oil, do so with a clear conscience. The marginal increase in per mile cost of owning and operating the car will barely change.
Anyway, for most of us here, cars are one of our hobbies.
Spending a few bucks more for oil is simply the cost of our hobby.
You also can use Redline, changed yourself, for the same or less cost than someone else pays for bulk dino at some commercial oil-change venue.
Never be afraid to pay more for what you value.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The thing is that you can use really expensive oil and change it every 5K, and the cost per mile will still be dwarfed by allocable cost per mile of depreaciation, insurance and fuel expense. If you want to use a botique oil, do so with a clear conscience. The marginal increase in per mile cost of owning and operating the car will barely change.
Anyway, for most of us here, cars are one of our hobbies.
Spending a few bucks more for oil is simply the cost of our hobby.
You also can use Redline, changed yourself, for the same or less cost than someone else pays for bulk dino at some commercial oil-change venue.
Never be afraid to pay more for what you value.

Why does everyone keep saying "3K" and "5K" changes?

As I stated, I currently run M1 and change it every 7500 miles. I was thinking about using Redline and changing it every 15K miles. This should, in the end, save me money. I am just worried about how well this will hold up because I plan to keep this car for a LONG LONG time.

Get really crazy and through in some OTC conventional and see if will hold up for 7500 of VOLVO built abuse, I'm sure it could handle the harsh SC winter. The idea of running high-end oils is always enticing because it HAS to be the best. Your money, but I agree, it sounds fun.

Originally Posted By: KLowD9x
As I stated, I currently run M1 and change it every 7500 miles. I was thinking about using Redline and changing it every 15K miles. This should, in the end, save me money. I am just worried about how well this will hold up because I plan to keep this car for a LONG LONG time.

I'd take M1 over Red Line for long drains, TBH. Red Line is more about taking stress than running long OCIs.

If you just want something that'll run long OCIs to save money, Amsoil is probably your best bet.

BTW, what happened to "crazy?" You said you wanted to try something crazy in your opening post. Amsoil and Red Line don't seem very crazy to me.

Then again, maybe that says more about me than about the oils...
45.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
BTW, what happened to "crazy?" You said you wanted to try something crazy in your opening post. Amsoil and Red Line don't seem very crazy to me.

Then again, maybe that says more about me than about the oils...
45.gif

Crazy is when I was thinking about using pure pag oil sold in the little 5 ounce containers for AC systems.

Yes, it is. That's why it's bad. You want Group IV like Mobil 1, otherwise you won't get your daily allowance of iron.

Okay, more detail then:

As I understand, Red Line's party piece is their oils' ability to withstand extreme operating conditions. It's true that they can run pretty good OCIs, but that's not really their focus. Plus, esters in general are not that well suited to very long drain applications because they are hygroscopic and not as resistant to chemical breakdown as, say, PAO.

Mobil 1, on the other hand, is a Group III/IV oil that is formulated with a bit more of an emphasis on long drain intervals.

Of the two, I would prefer Red Line for a car that is driven hard, and by the same token I would prefer Mobil 1 for long drain intervals.

As I understand, Red Line's party piece is their oils' ability to withstand extreme operating conditions.

Originally Posted By: Red Line Synthetic Oil Corp
Q: How often should I change my Red Line oil?
It depends on how you drive. If you do a lot of city driving or low speed/low frequency driving, we recommend oil changes at 7500 miles. Vehicles that see more highway driving can go a maximum of 15,000 to 18,000 miles with an oil filter change in between.

Plus, esters in general are not that well suited to very long drain applications because they are hygroscopic and not as resistant to chemical breakdown as, say, PAO.

Yes, but we aren't talking about esters in general here, we aren't discussing old stereotypes, we are talking about a very specific product here.

Quote:
Mobil 1, on the other hand, is a Group III/IV oil that is formulated with a bit more of an emphasis on long drain intervals.

M1 EP? Maybe. I don't see this long drain emphasis from M1's regular line though.

Okay, more detail then:

As I understand, Red Line's party piece is their oils' ability to withstand extreme operating conditions. It's true that they can run pretty good OCIs, but that's not really their focus. Plus, esters in general are not that well suited to very long drain applications because they are hygroscopic and not as resistant to chemical breakdown as, say, PAO.

I believe that Dave from Redline refuted that myth in a thread somewhere on here.

I think it's marketing. Redline is better able to protect under extreme circumstances than Mobil One and they focus on this. Most consumers outside of bitog don't care about extended drains but they do care about protection. I see no reason why Redline can't at a minimum match Mobil One in extended drains.

Generally you can tell a lot about a product by reading between the lines of their advertising. Red Line says almost nothing about drain intervals except that one line, which is not that impressive any more. However, they do talk a lot about handing extreme conditions. By contrast, Mobil 1 has been talking about long drain intervals for a long time, and they talk constantly about running a long time between changes. If this doesn't reflect those companies' priorities in formulating their oils, they're doing something very wrong...

As for your "stereotypes" comment... Are you suggesting that ester base stocks are just as water-repellent and hydrolytically stable as Group III and PAO base stocks? If so, I think you should have a word with all lube formulators everywhere...

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I believe that Dave from Redline refuted that myth in a thread somewhere on here.

I think the myth he refuted was that esters will immediately attract oceans of water and then instantly break apart into a shower of acids. That's very different from saying they're as good as PAO in those respects.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I think it's marketing. Redline is better able to protect under extreme circumstances than Mobil One and they focus on this. Most consumers outside of bitog don't care about extended drains but they do care about protection. I see no reason why Redline can't at a minimum match Mobil One in extended drains.

Fair enough. We may never know for sure, so your guess is as good as mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back