I want to see new performance metric - Auto Stop/Start

That study doesn't include the extra emissions running the busted vehicle to repair site via flatbed.
Once the starter is gone, it's dragged in. : ) nice try.
I haven’t read anything anywhere of widespread starter failures on vehicles with stop start. Battery failures yes, but only for the stop start system and the vehicle still starts up just fine off the regular 12v battery, albeit with no stop/start function so it’ll just sit and idle.

I haven’t read anything anywhere of widespread starter failures on vehicles with stop start. Battery failures yes, but only for the stop start system and the vehicle still starts up just fine off the regular 12v battery, albeit with no stop/start function so it’ll just sit and idle.
B/c there isn't an issue. The starters are not the same starters from 20 years ago. Batteries definitely have had to be beefed up to deal with these systems no-doubt.

That study doesn't include the extra emissions running the busted vehicle to repair site via flatbed.

My mom's '17 hybrid fusion has well over 110K miles with the start/stop working whenever the load is low and it's still going. A 10-hour road trip via I44 in MO had the engine starting up and turning off every single hill without an issue. The starter in my own start/stop focus went out at 130k-ish miles and I just attributed that to Ford quality so I guess it's just your experience.

Was that an educated statement? What dinosaur do you drive? I'm betting your dinosaur pollutes more than my 2018 Silverado......

If you can't afford the idle time at lights, you can't afford the vehicle.
The true cost of stop/start will be the starters shot at 54k. Which means the six quarts of fuel saved get gobbled up by the $445. starter change, 'I drink your milkshake!' - That Oil Guy from 'There Will Be Blood.' lol.
You so sure about that price?

The one or two seconds in your imagined situation in all likelihood won't be enough to avoid an accident. Tell me, at a red light how do you look in your rear view mirror and straight ahead to know when to proceed through the intersection at the same time? Personally I am hoping for this situation so I can get a new King Ranch Edition Truck. My neck hurts already.

Have you driven a vehicle with stop/ start?
Yes, I own two. There is an easy trick. If you brake very very gently when you come to a stop, the system will not engage the Stop function. If you’ve stopped hard, you can gradually release pressure on the pedal and at a point before the car would begin to creep, it will start the engine. You can easily time this watching the perpendicular lane lights. Or, disable the Start/Stop with the button, or with ForScan (for free!) if you own a Ford.

Yes, I own two. There is an easy trick. If you brake very very gently when you come to a stop, the system will not engage the Stop function. If you’ve stopped hard, you can gradually release pressure on the pedal and at a point before the car would begin to creep, it will start the engine. You can easily time this watching the perpendicular lane lights. Or, disable the Start/Stop with the button, or with ForScan (for free!) if you own a Ford.
Or conversely-you could just drive like a normal person-and let the start/stop do it's thing.

Starter alternators are where it’s at now. The starter motor will do one initial cold start then the starter alternator takes over. They can spin the engine over faster and are already “engaged“ so the engine starts so much faster.

I've rented an auto stop-start Ford Edge once, it has probably less than 1/4 of a sec feel difference to me, faster than my feet can take off the brake pad completely. If someone couldn't start their engine fast enough at a read light it is not because of auto stop start, but their lack of focus.

The Stellantis 8 speeds have an accumulator for the stop start transmission fluid situation

The strangest stop start thing I have seen was a Pacifica minivan not old one, person went to leave from a stop light and well the car didn’t restart. The starter failed and left the person in a busy intersection.

Tons of battery issues with the systems is mostly what you see

It indeed has to increase engine wear and definitely starter wear. Let’s see drive for an hour and you start the car once. If you have start stop on and have lots of lights it could start dozens of extra times

When I make complete stops at stop signs my engine shuts off. I release brake, engine restarts, and more often than not starter grinds on the flex plate. This encourages rolling stops, which I don't do, or long complete stops, which get honks from people behind me. '17 Buick Lucerne with a 8 speed Aisin.

I tried the aftermarket disable box. You can feel the pressure building thing it does to the transmission just prior to killing the engine, and when the engine isn't killed you have to press a bit harder on the brake pedal or it'll roll forward. Took the disable box back out.

After being stranded when the start/stop in my company F-150 decided it would stop but not start, I disabled it in my corolla cross ( pull microswitch connector on hood latch). Everyone may have better experiences with it and thats fine but mine was horrible. Ended up having to replace a starter under warranty, which isn't a big deal, however, me being stranded and trying to get passerby's to help me push the truck out of the lane was.

Back