I want to love PP but can't

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to love PP but can't. I switched back to MS5K and the car runs much quieter. Is there a reason for this?

"butt dyno"
whistle.gif

Happens to all of us...

Last edited:
When I switched from Valvoline to Mobil1 is wasn't quiet.

When my car has been using nothing but Mobil 1 and I switched to Castrol my engine was noisy.

When I bought the car I switched from FF to Valvoline I lost power.

When I use nothing but Redline and have to cut back on spending and switched to Brand x my car would not start at all.

Faster oil drainback to the pan. Less oil loitering in the engine for soundproofing. Less clingy better flowing oil.
M1 has been guilty of this for years. Good to see other synths with the same issue.

How is this not an issue of GrIII+ vs GrII(+) based oils
That argument makes more sense- brand is inconsequential.

Unless this is, yet another, gratuitous brand wars thread

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jrustles
Unless this is, yet another, gratuitous brand wars thread

Nothing beats watching a bunch of guys argue over whose is slipperier...

Originally Posted By: beadvised
I want to love PP but can't. I switched back to MS5K and the car runs much quieter. Is there a reason for this?

Because synthetic oil is "more slippery" than conventional oil thus causing the engine parts to move faster causing more clatter.
crackmeup2.gif
27.gif
spankme2.gif

My brother has a 1997 Honda Civic, and he was using PP for a couple of years, then Ultra since it was first released. This last oil change he used Mobil Super 5K. That's all that was changed, no tune-up was done, the spark plugs and distributor cap and rotor were not changed, and the engine is running smoother and quieter than with Pennzoil PP and Ultra. So much so, he made the comment the other day, we were standing by the front of the car with the hood up and engine running, "Listen to it," he said, "It's purring." Meaning it was nice and quiet compared to before.

Last edited:
i use MS5K its great oil and its $12.97 at some wal marts i used to use bulk oil but i change my oil in my driveway or garage because we have very limited space at the shop and i spilled the oil i brought home twice.

I'm a "Pennzoil guy", but I do not use PP or PU in our Honda. The clatter from the engine with that oil in it is unbearable. I guess it's a piston slap type noise, but it persists for many miles, and it sounds like a loose wrist pin when it's very cold out. I've used a lot of different oils in this engine and SOPUS synthetics just don't seem to agree with it for some reason (this includes QSUD). Mobil 1 runs quiet in it, as does most conventional oil, including SOPUS conventional. But this engine is consistently loud on SOPUS synthetic oil.

I'm sure it's not "in my head". My wife comments about it, so she can hear it, too. I've been conditioned to think that Mobil 1 is "loud", and indeed it was pretty loud in a Chrysler van we used to own. I tried it once in the Honda, expecting to not like it, but I had to swallow my words on that one because it runs great in that engine. Additionally, SOPUS synthetics run very quiet in our Acura's engine. That engine doesn't seem to care what goes in it...it's quiet on everything.

So...I learn over time what oils sound the best in my engines. I know they're all 110% capable of protecting the engine. So I buy based on other factors. Namely, price and personal satisfaction.

According to a senior chemist at an oil company I spoke to you get a better cushioning effect from a mineral oil due to the differing particle sizes compared to the uniform synthetics.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'm a "Pennzoil guy", but I do not use PP or PU in our Honda. The clatter from the engine with that oil in it is unbearable. I guess it's a piston slap type noise, but it persists for many miles, and it sounds like a loose wrist pin when it's very cold out. I've used a lot of different oils in this engine and SOPUS synthetics just don't seem to agree with it for some reason (this includes QSUD). Mobil 1 runs quiet in it, as does most conventional oil, including SOPUS conventional. But this engine is consistently loud on SOPUS synthetic oil.

I'm sure it's not "in my head". My wife comments about it, so she can hear it, too. I've been conditioned to think that Mobil 1 is "loud", and indeed it was pretty loud in a Chrysler van we used to own. I tried it once in the Honda, expecting to not like it, but I had to swallow my words on that one because it runs great in that engine. Additionally, SOPUS synthetics run very quiet in our Acura's engine. That engine doesn't seem to care what goes in it...it's quiet on everything.

So...I learn over time what oils sound the best in my engines. I know they're all 110% capable of protecting the engine. So I buy based on other factors. Namely, price and personal satisfaction.

What oils are quieter? Friend of mine has a 2005 Accord J30 and it is super noisey on cold mornings. Quiets right up once it is up to temperature. He doesn't change the oil .... and uses the quick lube stuff , so this is more out of curiosity than anything.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
That's because it's not a real synthetic, where dino is real, genuine dino
grin.gif

Synthetic and non-synthetic (dino) oil come from the same barrel of oil.
smile.gif

smile.gif

I really don't understand how one oil could be more "smooth feeling" than another. I've tried so many different oils in many different cars and I've never noticed a difference, nor has anyone besides myself that has driven those cars. Maybe my butt dyno isn't as well calibrated?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back