I Want to Donate Old Smartphones

Anyways, I personally think it a good idea to destroy old hard disk drives because of the way they are designed to read and write. My own opinion of solid state drives and NVMe can be safely deleted and "trimmed".

I don't think there is ANY way to completely "erase" a hard drive. Especially with the computer forensics available today. Lots of guys doing time based on what law enforcement found on their computers. Many of which thought were, "erased".

I had a local detective at our gun club tell me the only way to completely "erase" a modern hard drive, is with a hammer on a sidewalk. He said most all of those programs designed to "erase" the platter are useless. Information is always left behind that can be retrieved.

I tend to agree. Besides, using them for target practice is more fun. They're incredibly tough. Phones, not so much.

I keep my removed HD in my fireproof home safe. Never know when you might need that data.
Two dont take up much room. The family jewels and gold are getting to be a space hog though.

The Federal government is now giving "the less fortunate" free phones. It's their new vote getter.....

Nothing new except change from expensive landline to inexpensive cell currently and a story fed to you slurped up:
Recognizing the importance of having access to a phone and concerned that low-income households may not be able to afford phone service on their own, the federal government created the Lifeline Assistance program in 1985. Consumers who qualify based on federal or state-specific eligibility criteria can obtain free phone service through the Lifeline Assistance program.

The "Lifeline" program has become the ACP, which is a flat $30 subsidy on any phone or broadband service (but not both). The services are the same as those sold to the general public. If the price is $30 or less it is fully covered, if more than $30 the person must pay the difference. One subsidy per household.

The old Lifeline was considerably more lucrative to phone companies as the actual amount of money involved was opaque. For a time there was a $85 signing bonus to the phone company for every new connection. That led to abuses such as commissioned salespeople recruiting for recipients in person.

Last edited:
Back