I want one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the post office today and a black Pontiac Solstice pulled in to the space beside me. First one I've seen. Wow.

This car is a knock out. Much bigger than I thought they were. I was thinking these things were the size of Miata. Not. This is a Z4 size roadster.

I'm smitten.

-

Personally, I like the front end of the Saturn Sky better. They're the same basic car, though. I've sat in a Solstice and was pleasantly surprised that it comfortably fit my 6', 260 lb frame. These should be fun cars, especially with the 260 hp turbocharged 4 banger (available in '07) and RWD.

-

One got pulled over in front of my office last week. It was a cute blonde and she seemed to get very irate. I guess the trooper wouldn't let her off. I really like the look of the car with the top on. It reminded me of a Lotus Elise.

Of course, w/ 2 small kids, a Solstice is about as practical as a bicycle...

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
Finally, GM is coming out with cars that we can be proud of
grin.gif

Well, the jury is still out on that. GM has a history of allowing first year buyers to do the final testing to get all the bugs worked out.
wink.gif

But from a pure styling perspective, you are right. This thing is gorgeous. It does not look like something GM would produce. The Satrun version, on the other hand, is trying too hard to look like the Corvette, IMO.

I'll agree - I saw a Solistice for the first time and actually was proud that I owned a Pontiac (sunfire)...
grin.gif

Hehe, exactly what I was thinking - Saturn Solistice looked just like the Corvette - a mini-corvette.

I think this will help GM a lot. The Pontiac G6 is very popular out here in Los Angeles. I hope the Solistice will do the same - especially if it is cheap (15k-25k).

Crossing fingers and hoping that this thing isn't bug ridden
tongue.gif
. The 2004 Pontiac Sunfire still has bugs that the 2000 version has?!?! lol

I would spend my money on a Mazda Miata. A neighbor bought a Pontiac Fiero when they first came out. He babied that thing and it still fell apart faster than it could be put back together. The last any of us saw of it, it was being towed behind a wrecker. I would at least wait a few years before buying a Solstice/Sky.

I just went to the Saturn web site and looked at the 3D 360 imaages of the Sky. The first impression I got was "Now this looks like a Pontiac." And it does. The Solstice doesn't, IMO. The Solstice has an organic Ghia/Pinanfarina look to it. The Sky looks like it was styled in Detroit.

I'm sorry, but comparing a 1980's Fiero to the 2006 Solstice/Sky is completely insane.

GM has obvisouly had it's problems, but as far as quality is concerned, they are night and day what they were in the 80's.

In general though, I typically stay away from first model years of ANY car no matter the manufacturer.

Solstice is really nice, but two things work against it:
1) The interior is 80's GM - meaning, not at all inspiring as the outside is.
2) They have made roughly 12 of these cars and trying to get one is nearly impossible.

The Sky looks nicer inside, from the pix I've seen, and my neighbor has a deposit down on one.
I tried to get the Pontiac dealership to commit to a date if I put a deposit down last November, but they treated me like $hit and were unbelievably cocky about this car.
I decided the **** with it and got the SCION.

GM has a long way to go - making the car is one thing, delivering a quality experience seems like a pipe dream though...you can't take the dealerships out of the car-buiying equation.

Scott

I agree with ScottB here. Dealerships have a long way to go in how they treat the customer. I have seen some really nasty GM dealerships and some really awesome GM dealerships. I just make it a point to buy my car from the nice dealerships.

As for the Ford Fusion - that car looks really nice. I just wish there were more powerful motor options.

Agree w/ mshu7 - Always good to wait and let the bugs be fixed in the new'er versions.

quote:

Originally posted by ScottB:
Solstice is really nice, but two things work against it:
1) The interior is 80's GM - meaning, not at all inspiring as the outside is.
2) They have made roughly 12 of these cars and trying to get one is nearly impossible.

Have you guys test driven one?
It drives like c*r*a*p!
thumbsdown.gif

The drivetrain shadders on all of them, making loud clunking noises.
The interior materials look extremely cheap - nasty hard plastic is everywhere.
I don't understand this fascination with the Solstice.
thumbsdown.gif

Even though it does look nice, go test drive one and then the new Miata immediately after that.
And see for yourself.

ScottB, I can't see how you can possibly make that statement. I know I'm biased, but DAMM that interior is good looking. I've seen a lot of ugly interiors, too, and agree that throughout the 80's and 90's, GM's interiors left a LOT to be desired. The Solstice looks as good inside as it does outside, though.

Oh, and for those who complain about interior materials, test drive a Mercedes ML500 (I have, BTW). For the price of that car, I couldn't believe the amount of plastic inside that car. The design left a lot to be desired, too. I would have thought I was in a $20k vehicle instead of a $50k one. My point is that if one of the world's most respected manufacturers sees fit to use plastic, why would anyone else be different? Let's keep things in perspective here. Besides, the interior is very stylish on the Solstice and Sky.

Sorry, Matt, it's *****. Cheap and *****.
For a new 2006, it should have had more than a cheap mini audio-in plug in the front of the stereo - it should have full iPod compatibility, at least as an option.

The Sky OTOH looks really nice inside.

If you like it, that's cool with me. I don't. Most new GMs are no better, and most worse.

quote:

I tried to get the Pontiac dealership to commit to a date if I put a deposit down last November, but they treated me like $hit and were unbelievably cocky about this car.
I decided the **** with it and got the SCION.

The dealer did you a big favor.
It sounds like you don't have any regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back