I want a set of new golf clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have golfed maybe four times in my life. My best game was 105 using a mixed set of Spalding and Wilson golf clubs someone someone gave to me. Those clubs date back to the 70's, grips need replaced and are probably best set out in the trash for metal scrappers rather than donating to the VOA.
I want a set of decent, yet not expensive clubs. I'm between 6'2 and 6'3".
These are two sets I'm interested in: Callaway and Wilson
I can easily afford the best custom clubs if I wanted. But I'm thinking a cheap beginners set will allow me to learn desires for a better set such as shaft flex..... if I get series in the sport.

Either would be ok, might want to consider next step up such as this set. Will still need a bag.

https://www.costco.com/Callaway-Edge-10-piece-Golf-Club-Set%2c-Right-Handed.product.100399160.html

I'm absolutely not a golfer, but I tried a few years back. Based on my experience, I'd suggest picking a budget and buying the best used set you can find. Going from memory, I bought used set of Callaway irons (X18 maybe?), and got a driver separately. I'm glad I didn't spend more since I ended up not really getting into the sport.

I have no doubt that the clubs are way better than I am.

This isn't one of the two brands you've mentioned, but I've found that the most forgiving and fun to play with clubs for beginners are Ping Black Dots. I learned how to play on mixed bags, then bought my first complete set which were Nikes, but when I first played with those Pings (borrowed from a buddy), I was so impressed that I sold my Nikes and bought those Pings. I highly recommend them.

I was a buyer for 40 golf courses for about 10 years. AR, OK, TX, MO, KS, NE, MS, TN, AL. Did a lot of driving from course to course. Started off as inventory control and then ended up doing all of the buying as well.

Buy used. Nothing depreciates faster than a new set of golf clubs. Wholesale on a good mid-level set of Titleist/Ping/Callaway/Taylormade irons is about %500-600 (steel shafts). The manufacturers come out with a new model every couple of years and when they do, the price drops WAY down on the prior models.

For example, my Titleist 735 irons wholesaled at about $550. When the AP1's and AP2's came out, a customer could have picked up a set of 735's new at wholesale from just about any golf shop, and I could have picked up a lightly used set for half of wholesale or less.

Drivers are even worse. I paid $300 for my 905R driver (wholesale at the time) and a year after the 907 came out you could buy a leftover new 905 for $100.

If you're 6' 2" you will likely need longer shafts. You can either buy clubs and have them reshafted, buy extenders that involve removing the grip, installing the extension, and then putting on a new grip, or try to find a used set from someone your size.

I have my 735's but kept my old Ping Eye 2's and more often than not, I still use the Pings. There really isn't an iron that can claim the extremely long success that the Eye 2 has. Try to find a used set and pick them up. Expect to pay about $200-250 for a full set in good shape.

Regripping is ridiculously easy, so don't pay someone to do it. PM me if you need help.

Last edited:
I played a lot of golf but slowed down when my daughter was born. In my experience, you don't buy your clubs, you find your clubs. Not every club will have that "feel" that makes or is comfortable to you. Now these pro players, they get endorsed and use the clubs from whom endorses them, but you look inside a golf bag of average players, you will find a mix match of clubs. My bag, I can't stand irons and can't hit them well, so I got a driver,3,5,7,9 woods, putter, pitching wedge and a special "get me out of here" club. All made by different companies. Scout out the local pawn shops. My friends would laugh at me but the results don't lie when I underscore them.

My friend rented a set of the Callaway Strata's out in Colorado and was blown away by how good they felt. To him they were astonishingly good. He has a USGA 10.3 handicap index so he has a pretty fair game. The set you linked is not a full set but gives you enough clubs to fill in all the gaps, besides, you stated that you've played 4 times so this set will teach you over time where you need to augment it. If you end up not getting serious, then your investment is minimal.

If you have a large golf specialty store near you, don’t discount them as place for advice and product. They will make suggestions, allow you to try out different models in-store and may have trade-in sets available. I did this at a PGA Superstore and wound up with a set of used Callaway irons, a used Mizuno driver and a set of new Cobra fairway woods. A mixed set but works great (operator error notwithstanding) and much less costly than brand new.

Having someone who knows the product really helps and they are usually respectful of whatever costs limits you impose.

You can't go too wrong for $215-220 for either starter set. I've played two sets of Wilson Staff irons (the best of Wilson's clubs), but your Strata set should be a better choice than the Wilson Profile (department store quality). As others have mentioned, don't be surprised if you need shaft extensions to suit your height. Otherwise you'll find the standard lie clubs won't make proper ground contact without you having to crouch excessively in your ball stance.

For good choices of used golf clubs, I find many choices available on eBay.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I have golfed maybe four times in my life. My best game was 105 using a mixed set of Spalding and Wilson golf clubs someone someone gave to me. Those clubs date back to the 70's, grips need replaced and are probably best set out in the trash for metal scrappers rather than donating to the VOA.
I can easily afford the best custom clubs if I wanted. But I'm thinking a cheap beginners set will allow me to learn desires for a better set such as shaft flex..... if I get series in the sport.

Try Ping...... you'll be hooked.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

. Jack Nicklaus used Macgregor clubs....just sayin.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

I'm surprised you're not telling him to save his money, since you seem to be bent on telling others how to spend their money lately.
06.gif

Notwithstanding blades, which I’m guessing you’re using if from the 70’s, most moderately inexpensive consumer grade clubs will be adequate for the average golfers need. Although game improvement clubs may help, i.e. slow swing speed, it’s still significantly more about swing mechanics than equipment. If you can consistently hit your long irons well then you’re well ahead of the game. I have a 3H 19 degree which I occasionally use off the tee or a tight lie instead of my 3 iron that gives me an extra 5 to 10 yards. Great club.

Either one of those sets you listed looks like a good bet. At your height you may be a ½” over STD length but I wouldn’t worry too much, Mfr’s lengths are not consistent. Choose what feels good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back