I wanna use up my Superflo semi stash. Mix in 1q of Superflo full syn with the semi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here is the deal. I have about 35 quarts of Superflo SJ semi-synth (cost=1 cent each) and six quarts of Superflo SJ full synth.($1 each!) In our 17 year-old "beater", how about using the semi-synth (instead of buying MORE new oil) and adding a quart of the full synth too. (instead of 1 change using up all six quarts of the synth) I know if I was buying otc, the extra $5 for a quart of synth added to a dino change is barely worthwhile, but I have this stuff laying around, the 35+ quarts of semi has to get used up somehow, why not use the full synth to make the semi more desireable? I am doing 6 month changes anyway. The synth should add some high-temp protection and some cold-cranking. I know Superflo is good stuff, even the semi grade is probally fine for our old car, would the added full synth make it better? I would sleep better at night if it was in there and I probally would not even want to use the semi-synth without a little boost. Is this a good plan, to use up my stash of decent semi oil, enhanced with the full synth. Is it worth paying about $100 to replace oil I already have with SL semi synth or equlivalent?

PS I read all the previous "mixing" posts already

[ December 22, 2003, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

Personally I would use up the superflo full syn first..if you have a quart or two left of full syn, I would mix it with the semi syn on the next oil change. they are both SJ rated and both have esters in them. plus, you got a great bargain. it would offset that bargain with more $5 syn. with 41 quarts and two oil changes a year, your set for awhile
cheers.gif

Since they are from the same manufacturer and the same SJ grade you should have absolutely no problems: in the past I have done this with Havoline products with good service and no leaks, etc.

You are just brewing up a SUPER-Semi-Synth, IMHO!
worshippy.gif

Super-Semi-Synth, ha ha. Sounds like a breakfast cereal! After some reflection, I am definately going to use up the semi-synth with the full synth mixed in. The alternative is having this stuff laying around, when it is probally pretty good and will definately be suitble for a 180,000 miles car that dosen't burn oil anyway. I have mostly been using a semi like MaxLife and DuraBlend plus an odd quart of synth. (GC curently) Cost is not an object, but I maintain my woman's older car and her mom's A6 out of my pocket. I can't skimp on the A6 oil, her mom drives hard and won't check the level in a oil-burning engine. With a good synth it dosen't burn much, with my girlfriends car I can easily mainitain the level. Who knows, maybe I'll try a batch in the A6 too. I guess I'll talk to you guys in 3 years when my GC and Superflo stash is used up!
grin.gif
Maybe adding two quarts of the synth with three semis will be the answer. No way will we have this car three more years, I can use up maybe 12 quarts of the semi and the six full synths counting top-off oil by next year this time. That leaves me about six 10w-30, twelve 10w-40 and ten 5w-30s as leftovers. Oh well, I at least have a plan and know how much give-away oil I have left. Thanks for the input.
grin.gif

[ December 22, 2003, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

If I was only planning (rich enough) to keep a car a few years I would change the oil when in was below the L mark on the dipstick, and only then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back