I Used to Visit BITOG Daily

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with everyone. I recently posted a humorous picture of that ship that was stuck in the canal, being freed up with WD-40. And the first 6 replies were so serious I thought to myself, these guys were born without a sense of humor. If your were to just post Good morning, there would be replies like are you sure?, for some people it's not that good, or where's your data to support that theory?. Taking life too serious and waiting to pounce on someone else's idea just to prove them wrong, is what some people live for. I don't get it.,,,
I must have it missed because I posted the same one. When I first saw it I laughed so hard I started coughing and had to hit my emergency inhaler. I think my time in the Navy made it even more funny to me, because I spent a lot of time sitting on the radar during high contact, limited mobility evolutions.

When someone reports a post, the Mods are going to decide. If no action is taken, then maybe it wasn't as bad as the reporter perceived.
I'm not afraid to post it, but I won't hesitate to use the "Report" button on, ummm, "non-helpful" posts. I think, and I certainly don't keep track, that the mods seem to also see no real benefit in the post and they make it go "poof". And no, I'm not doing this multiple times every single day. I think it's been weeks since I've done.

The "Report" link is there people, don't be afraid to use it when appropriate.

I’ll echo that advice, Hall, and appreciate you bringing it up.

The Mods can’t read or see every post. We do this as a hobby, it’s not a job, and so each of us spend what time we can here. As the site grows in size, and the number of daily posts grow, we miss things that do require some intervention.

We rely on you, the members, to report posts that are out of line. We appreciate the help.

That said, reporting, and moderating, are sometimes a matter of perspective and judgement. It’s not 100% certain that a reported post will be deleted, for example.

But without the reporting, an inappropriate post may not be looked at by a Mod, so, please, help us out.

The Mods can’t read or see every post....

We rely on you, the members, to report posts that are out of line. We appreciate the help.
I'm sure everyone sees posts like "can a mod delete this post?" to which I typically respond, "use the report link" and they act like, "OMG no, I won't dare do that!". As you say, you guys don't read every single post in every single thread ! I think people believe you might though.

That said, reporting, and moderating, are sometimes a matter of perspective and judgement. It’s not 100% certain that a reported post will be deleted, for example.
Yeap, I fully realize that the report link isn't a delete link. It's just to make you guys aware and go from there. I can honestly say I've never used it as a personal vendetta against anyone either.

Personally, I have made so many mistakes pulling wrenches, my education is bought an paid for, many times over.
I have come to rely on this forum for sound and varied information. I have acted on this information. And benefited!

Don't give up because of the know-it-alls. And remember, no one knows it all (especially me) and we all had a day that we picked up our 1st wrench.

Some of the things I remember when I came here first was the attacks for doing beneficial things
like buying exotic oil and testing it as well as cutting new filters etc. It was met with such contempt
and ill will it was very surprising. I quit doing it and I remember Stude53 was getting cheap shots too ( I forget his original login name)

It was the same old school jaded members and after getting tossed a few times for slapping them back I realized who cares
what they think. If it isn't appreciated move on. I will say those people never went away for any time off either.

I'm very appreciative of this forum but if you get to the point the drama and attacks are too much just bail............
But I see no reason to let those types get you down. When I leave it will be either I got bored, croaked, or tossed.
I'm a virus that continues to spread :)

Personally, I have made so many mistakes pulling wrenches, my education is bought an paid for, many times over.
I have come to rely on this forum for sound and varied information. I have acted on this information. And benefited!

Don't give up because of the know-it-alls. And remember, no one knows it all (especially me) and we all had a day that we picked up our 1st wrench.
Always bragging...................... :ROFLMAO:

Let's get back on track folks.

5w20 vs 5w30 for the least bearing wear, anyone?

Best HM oil perhaps?
OK, you asked, here's the straight goods!

5W-20 is like water, and 5W-30 is like cutting oil. You should use 15W-40 at minimum, and 20W-50 is better. Straight 50 is a good choice.

And don't use none of that "synthetic" Mobile stuff - it causes oil leaks.

Oh yeah, and no Pennzoil or Quaker State neither - that stuff from Pennsylvania, it's full of wax!

(Sarcasm Alert!)

My last post had some other people making
comments and giving their opinion and some people started telling them they were wrong,..yada, yada. There can't be wrong opinions.
Counter-point: Yes, opinions can be wrong. There are objective things and subjective things in life.

I realize you were joking.

I agreed with a lot of what Gebo was saying in his OP. But if we squashed the folks being criticized in this thread, what you mentioned below, is precisely what we'd see a TON more of here at BITOG, with every response conceivable being flung around.

Like others here have said, I agree that BITOG is the most heavily modded forum that I've been on, and I think it is the better for it. But my concern is that moving the lever in terms of moderating against perceived bullying would increase the idiot factor here. If we would do no more than just get rid of sarcastic statements, especially against newcomers, I'd be all for it. But at what price?

And don't use none of that "synthetic" Mobile stuff - it causes oil leaks.

Oh yeah, and no Pennzoil or Quaker State neither - that stuff from Pennsylvania, it's full of wax!

(Sarcasm Alert!)

Gebo, we have chatted many times. We also live relatively close too. Hope I am one of your friends ( I think I am). I will do anything to help anybody but especially friends. I feel the same way about here recently I’ve been having some disagreements with members and been treated terrible and the ones who are rude usually don’t get any action taken against them from what I’ve seen. Also got my reaction score reduced too which I am extremely furious over still I’ve been having to vent a whole lot. I hesitate to ask any questions on the forum I normally ask a few members over PM to see what they think. I had honestly considered leaving but it’s the members who are helpful that bring me back and one mod who checks on me from time to time too he brings me back. It seems every time we post something that is our opinion people go off even if we clearly state it’s an opinion then those members attack still yet. When I first joined people were mean because I was a new member and stated something very true about a brand of oil and then they went off and I ended up getting a week off because I didn’t reply to warning messages which that was a lesson learned there that I need to respond to them. I want to stay part of the forum but we need those members to be controlled on what they say and the way they come across.
Good on you AM. Nothing funny here.

I've been here since 2003ish and joined on '05. I know what you mean and I agree that things are not the same. I still frequent daily but have gone elsewhere as well.

You know Blue I like you...
You are a good bloke and i enjoying ribbing you...you can take a pounding and come back and forget it the next day.

I look forward to our FL820's hassling and the same for that other Zee dude. Now Automechanic we can toss him...lol
What's an FL-820S? :unsure:
Don't repeat this, but I think that other Z character is an imposter! 🤫

I have to say that I find it disturbing that people worry about how popular they are in life in general and even more so on a forum with all due respect. Being respected isn’t the same as being popular. I am not even remotely implying people who crave being popular do not add value and are not respected.

We keep hearing experts report about how social media is unhealthy for peoples self esteem in many cases despite it being a good way to communicate and socialize.

Put me down as someone who thinks it would be a great idea to get rid of the “like” and reaction score ( even how many posts ).

The main reason I have avoided social media is because too many people post superficial stuff and look for attention.

Do not hesitate to report this if it’s unhelpful.

I feel like I'm on trial when I come here and the jury has been rigged. It's a consistent 3-5 man jury that does the sentencing for most of us. It hurts me to see how some of you jurors/attorneys respond to people. In many ways, I feel inadequate but I don't channel that frustration to other posters.

I'm not a cry baby. This is my opinion. IT ain't wrong.
Gebo, the words you used in your post are very telling so please take what I'm going to say in the spirit of 'tough love' and a genuine, sincere desire to help:

This is just a message board on the Internet. If you have a hard time interacting with people here when the conversation doesn't go your way, and it makes you feel the way you state above, then you need to do some self-reflecting and figure out why since you're ALLOWING it to happen. You need to grow a pair and don't be such an insecure doormat. Lose the victim mentality and its associated drama. Get a thicker skin and learn how to let stuff roll off your back because you'll never change how anonymous people act online.

And stop caring about it so much. Does it really matter what a few random idiots on the Internet say when it's obvious all they're looking for is a reaction? You're giving it to them! Stop it! I'm not saying to fire it right back because that's obviously not your style, but learn how to roll your eyes, shake your head and laugh it off. It shouldn't ruin your day like it obviously does.

Know the old advice, 'the best way to relax when talking in front of large groups is to imagine them all naked'? Well the next time someone posts something just to get under your skin, just imagine they're an unhappy middle-aged unemployed troll living their their mom's basement looking for company in their misery. Works wonders.

All that said, you may want to revisit some of the things you got flak for and figure out if your 'critics' had valid points, too. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back