I Used to Visit BITOG Daily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. The moderators on this site are fair, thoughtful and respectful.
The MODS are MORE THAN FAIR here! I am a member on about 15 forums, both cars and guns, my 2 favorite hobbies. This site is the ONLY site that stays on my laptop, open 7/24. Yes, it's my favorite site. And NO, I'm not trying to kiss arse!
The MODS here DON'T take any BS. They're stern, yet fair. Believe me, been there, done that!
While I'm on my soapbox, I will say this, there is one member here that is rude, arrogant, obnoxious, pompous, etc., to the NOOBS and others as well! (Stepping off of my soapbox)

You know, threads like "What are you doing right now?" and others of that nature can simply be locked or smoked by the Mods if they think it adds no value and causes strife.

You know, theads like "What are you doing right now" and others of that nature can simply be smoked by the Mods if they think it adds no value and causes strife.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. They put the Fair in County Fair.

When I come home and fire up my PC, the first thing I do is open BITOG - not because it's the best site there is, but because it opens fast. Data heavy sites with lots of photos and links will lock my browser (Firefox not responding). Once I've flicked through a few areas I'll go to other sites and they will now load without problems. This is the most heavily moderated site I go to, and as a Kiwi, used to calling a toilet a toilet and not another room in the house I have to become someone else, not the real me at all. There is definitely a one upmanship here - the experts are the experts, and don't dare question them. I deal with idiots all day, I can't be bothered with idiots online.

You know, threads like "What are you doing right now?" and others of that nature can simply be locked or smoked by the Mods if they think it adds no value and causes strife.
But where will we house the uneducated amongst us???

Whatever happened to if it doesn't interest you why go there and read it. Seriously Zee why should " off topic" zones bother anyone?

Should we just sterilize this place to the point that only a handful of people can post. From what I know you are a stand up member and are always willing to help others and that is a given and not in question at all. Can't we just live and let live?

I wonder why we entice crowds to come join us if we do not want them?
To me the original posters concerns are valid and all of this other stuff is nonsense but actually we see that this place has become an exclusive club not open to everyone. I highly doubt the owner wants that as the categories they provide are there to make this a place for everyone.

Men will be boys and yes things get carried away but i think this place is balanced and great except for the bullying and intolerance we occasionally see. Why am I telling you this??? You tell me...lol

The brand bashing gets real old real quick, and it’s always the same few members who just can’t help themselves. Other than that, I think it’s fairly civil and very well moderated. Better than the endless “what oil/octane should I run in my vehicle?!” posts over on the various Facebook groups.

The MODS are MORE THAN FAIR here! I am a member on about 15 forums, both cars and guns, my 2 favorite hobbies. This site is the ONLY site that stays on my laptop, open 7/24. Yes, it's my favorite site. And NO, I'm not trying to kiss arse!
The MODS here DON'T take any BS. They're stern, yet fair. Believe me, been there, done that!
While I'm on my soapbox, I will say this, there is one member here that is rude, arrogant, obnoxious, pompous, etc., to the NOOBS and others as well! (Stepping off of my soapbox)
You know Blue I like you...
You are a good bloke and i enjoying ribbing you...you can take a pounding and come back and forget it the next day.

I look forward to our FL820's hassling and the same for that other Zee dude. Now Automechanic we can toss him...lol

When I post I try to keep it to knowledge I've gained having been in fleet and automotive for 25 years.
Folks that seem to post on every topic or seem to try to get their post count up, not alot of patience for that.
This site is a piece of sanity in what can be an insane world at times. Long time member, and plan on staying for a while more.

When I post I try to keep it to knowledge I've gained having been in fleet and automotive for 25 years.
Folks that seem to post on every topic or seem to try to get their post count up, not alot of patience for that.
This site is a piece of sanity in what can be an insane world at times. Long time member, and plan on staying for a while more.
Fair enough … but when you click on “Forums” the world is your oyster here … that is until rules get broken. We have Mods here willing to cleanup and issue warnings if a really good thread is to be saved. That’s great patience on their part - but it will wear thin …

I think what you mentioned on “counts” became intensified with the new format … sometimes I temporarily block a few folks just to surf around and see what is interesting to me … and later put them back on … (legions of Like)
Like many, a quick trip to another site that tolerates trash talk quickly sends us back here !

You know, in all honestly I have always thought there was a fairly good size contingent here who feels they are mentally superior to everyone else and replies as such. It is easy enough to see.

Largely I find these people are clueless. Just put them on ignore - you'll gain no knowledge from them in most cases and there is nothing to be gained by squandering your time on reading drivel.

There is nothing wrong with opinion, in fact opinion is very good, opinion stated as fact I have a bit of a problem with. I have no patience for adulterated data repeatedly regurgitated without disclosure or for people who continually repeat the same misinformation or turn every (oil filter for instance) thread into a post about something it did not start out as.

I also have little patience when I spend hard earned money to contribute something (like a cut open oil filter) and it is replied to with nonsense, it makes it worse when someone decides to lock the post instead of dealing with the two bickering nonsensical posters.

Too folks need to read the question and answer the question asked, or not. If for instance I say "please don't say get a marine clamp" and you decide to post that I should get a marine clamp then you sir are a moron.

I've said this before but the forum needs to decide what it wants to be and cultivate that culture. I feel like it tries to be too many things. It should probably have more moderators, more rules and there should be clear rules for moderators as well as posters. If someone is stating something as fact, they should be held to a standard to support it. Opinion and Experience should be represented as such.

BITOG can either be a technical resource, or entertainment. Right now it is entertainment the signal to noise is simply too high to be taken seriously.

The like system is a whole other subject, there were those of us who predicted how that would go.

Trying to keep the thread going. Threads that are meant to continue should continue. Whether the OP is gone or not it’s a nice thread to have and I like it. I see it everyday and post in it, sometimes multiple times a day. It makes me upset others would not want to keep a thread going that was intended to be continued.
I'm glad you keep that thread going Blake!! (y) When you, me, Breanna, Zee, and a few others are always posting and chatting back and forth, it feels like we've known each other forever, like we're all best friends. That thread imo has brought BITOG back too life and made it feel more personable and friendly. :)

Thank you Blake for always just "being you". You're an awesome guy!! (y)

I'm glad you keep that thread going Blake!! (y) When you, me, Breanna, Zee, and a few others are always posting and chatting back and forth, it feels like we've known each other forever, like we're all best friends. That thread imo has brought BITOG back too life and made it feel more personable and friendly. :)

Thank you Blake for always just "being you". You're an awesome guy!! (y)
Thanks friend. I agree, it is good not taking up other threads talking like that.

I’m not here to pay BITOG’s bills. That’s why they have site sponsors and ad trackers.

I‘m here to contribute meaningful information to other members.

Get back to your mutual admiration society,

Scott
Please allow me to clarify a couple of points.

First, your posts of UOAs and VOAs are valuable, and much appreciated.

Next, no one expects donations, but they are also appreciated.

Members who add thoughtful posts, particularly those with specific expertise or experience, are also appreciated.

But BITOG has expanded beyond pure technical discussion. There is a social dimension to it, and discussing non-technical topics seems to be popular. We’re not going to eliminate that social dimension, though the value to advancing technical understanding isn’t quite there.

All that we are asking is that, regardless of the subject, members post in accordance with the guidelines. Bad behavior, like personal criticism, discussing politics, and the like, are negative in value, and will be met with consequences.

Speaking of consequences, let me make this point crystal clear: donating to the site has zero effect on how that member is treated by moderators. We have banned, either permanently or temporarily, and warned every poster that fails to follow the guidelines without regard to donation.

BITOG, and the MOD team, are not for sale.

I agree with everyone. I recently posted a humorous picture of that ship that was stuck in the canal, being freed up with WD-40. And the first 6 replies were so serious I thought to myself, these guys were born without a sense of humor. If your were to just post Good morning, there would be replies like are you sure?, for some people it's not that good, or where's your data to support that theory?. Taking life too serious and waiting to pounce on someone else's idea just to prove them wrong, is what some people live for. I don't get it.,,,

I agree with everyone. I recently posted a humorous picture of that ship that was stuck in the canal, being freed up with WD-40. And the first 6 replies were so serious I thought to myself, these guys were born without a sense of humor. If your were to just post Good morning, there would be replies like are you sure?, for some people it's not that good, or where's your data to support that theory?. Taking life too serious and waiting to pounce on someone else's idea just to prove them wrong, is what some people live for. I don't get it.,,,
I thought the same thing when you posted that. I gave you a like and the responses were unwarranted.
Sad.
I have to say unlike most I visit one forum and this is it. Absolutely no social media or nothing else. I dumped my own forums long ago.
Had one that became an angry mob and I was getting $2000 a month from it. I slipped in one night and hit the kill switch. Too much dang drama. Boy did they cry then.

So I come here because it has something for everyone. And I have nobody on ignore.... I don't sweat the attackers anymore.

The attachment did not show up for me initially, and given that it wasn't posted in the Humor subforum, I assumed it was a legitimate plug for WD-40. I think the image was blocked for some reason.

I think it's likely that others here missed it too.

Having now seen it, I think it's very funny.

This site probably started out as a very technical forum about out, but it has grown. There is still a place for technical discussions, I like molakules's quizzes for those of us less technical to learn.

There is also a place for other discussions, with a membership this large, the nice thing is, you can get an answer to questions about construction, investing, cooking, painting, software etc.

That is a good thing, as many of the members have diverse backgrounds and skill sets. I think thats what makes this site great!

I think what we are seeing is growing pains, the site is growing, newer members, wider interests, i don't see it as a bad thing at all. I can choose what forums i frequent.

I really don't see the club thing, I do see some very skilled contributors with lots of experience. I think a few mentors in various fields are good, as long as nothing becomes bullish.

I have posted thinks i should not have in the past, I try to be more mindful , but we are all human. I think the ability to realize in retrospect, " yea i probably should not have typed that" is a mature way of thinking.

I'm sure the mods at some point before they were mods, posting things that pushed the rules, but as a mod, they know they have to set an example and their responsibility is to maintain the site. I think they do a good job.
In this environment if they allowed politics to invade, it would degrade rapidly. I'm glad they watch this.

Basically if you enjoy this site, I think each of us should ask ourselves, are we drawing people toward us ( with our responses and behavior) or are we pushing them away?

I will thank each member for making this site what it is. I enjoy this site, the variety, and the technical nature too. This is a great site, and despite some growing pains, we need to think of it that way. A great site.

Thank you all.

Bryan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back