I Used to Visit BITOG Daily

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to point something out, and it's not directed to anyone in particular - it's general comments about participating in a technical chat board like BITOG.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with technical debates on here, and differences in opinions and technical knowledge. When that kind of discussion really gets rolling, then it's pretty much been a given that people need to back-up their claims with with technical information (ie, technical papers, SAE studies, etc), otherwise it just turns into a "bickering match", and many times threads end up getting locked if the bickering starts becoming "personal". As long as the "heated discussion" doesn't turn into personal attacks then I don't see much harm in those kind of threads. Those are the threads where things are dove into in detail, and people typically get something good out of them.

Also, there is a lot of tongue in cheek humor here lately, and it may be hard for someone to tell the difference between that and a personal jab. Use emojis to get the humor across, or people may take it way too personally. :D

You and Rand are two of the American BITOG'ers I've met in real life, both experiences I cherish. We should have gone and harassed Clinebarger when we were in Dallas, lol, that would have been so worth it!

And yes, Jim is another great poster, the guy that first coined the "As thin as possible, as thick as necessary" mantra that became so popular on here.
I have met a few guys too. Ed Hackett came out to where I was camping and he had dinner and drinks with my family. It was great! I have met JHZR2 as well. I was in Philly for work, we now both work for the same organization on opposite coasts.

I’ve been having some disagreements with members and been treated terrible and the ones who are rude usually don’t get any action taken against them from what I’ve seen.
When someone reports a post, the Mods are going to decide. If no action is taken, then maybe it wasn't as bad as the reporter perceived.

Also got my reaction score reduced too which I am extremely furious over still I’ve been having to vent a whole lot.
Maybe people trying to achieve a big reaction score is causing strife on the board. Maybe the whole reaction score thing should be kiboshed - ??.

I have met a few guys too. Ed Hackett came out to where I was camping and he had dinner and drinks with my family. It was great! I have met JHZR2 as well. I was in Philly for work, we now both work for the same organization on opposite coasts.

You, JHZR2, Astro, Wayne, ZeeOSix, Quattro Pete, 53 Stude, Trav, Clinebarger, 4WD...etc I've got a pretty good list of American guys I'd love to sit down and have a beer with. I've been trying to get Shannow to move to Ontario, but so far no dice, lol ;) I figure he could work for OPG or Bruce Power, get into the nuke game :D

Maybe people trying to achieve a big reaction score is causing strike on the board. Maybe the whole reaction score thing should be kiboshed - ??.

I think the idea of the reaction score thing is OK, but it should be driven by reactions from other posters to the material you've posted. You shouldn't be able to drive-up your own reaction score, as that just encourages liking everything; puts quantity over quality.

If Clinebarger gets a lot of positive reactions to his transmission rebuild threads, I think that's a good thing, for example. He's an SME on transmissions and that content benefits everyone.

When someone reports a post, the Mods are going to decide. If no action is taken, then maybe it wasn't as bad as the reporter perceived.

Maybe people trying to achieve a big reaction score is causing strife on the board. Maybe the whole reaction score thing should be kiboshed - ??.
Well the thing is they are constantly that way towards people and multiple people report them then nothing is done. They are members that should of been gone long ago.

The reaction score thing is they told me I shouldn’t have been in first place as new as I am. I disagree I’m not in first place for being in first place I’m in first place because enough people liked my content to put me in that position. I didn’t ask anyone to do it for me. I’m still trying to fight to get it back. The score makes me feel like an appreciated member which the members here definitely don’t make me feel.

I think the idea of the reaction score thing is OK, but it should be driven by reactions from other posters to the material you've posted. You shouldn't be able to drive-up your own reaction score, as that just encourages liking everything; puts quantity over quality.

If Clinebarger gets a lot of positive reactions to his transmission rebuild threads, I think that's a good thing, for example. He's an SME on transmissions and that content benefits everyone.
Maybe the reaction score should be disabled in some forums and keep it active only in technical forums - ??.

Well the thing is they are constantly that way towards people and multiple people report them then nothing is done. They are members that should of been gone long ago.

The reaction score thing is they told me I shouldn’t have been in first place as new as I am. I disagree I’m not in first place for being in first place I’m in first place because enough people liked my content to put me in that position. I didn’t ask anyone to do it for me. I’m still trying to fight to get it back. The score makes me feel like an appreciated member which the members here definitely don’t make me feel.
IMO, the reaction score shouldn't be a "fluff" score ... I don't think people who run this board want it to turn it into a social media popularity site.

Maybe someone's reaction score should be decreased by 100 for every day they get a vacation. So a week off, you lose 700 points. 😂

Gebo... don't let the negative ones get to you or get you down.

One time I took issue with one member on here and I sent that individual a pm and gave him my phone number. Yeah... I'm like let's have a real conversation. You might be surprised. Never heard from that person.

And on the oil filter forum the member and I did talk on the phone. It was great and Andrew was absolutely a great guy. And like I said on that oil filter forum thread... Him and I handled that deal like men.

Another time I had to and did apologize to another member on here. I did that on a thread on here. Not in a pm. What had transpired before that was all pm back and forth. Candidly I did not handle that in a right way. So I apologized in a thread on here and made no excuses or reasons.

Some of the other guys like dishdude and I just disagree about things or see circumstances differently. And that's ok. That happens at times. I will say that dishdude said something in one thread that really meant a lot to me and I greatly appreciated what he said in that thread. It was quite quite cool indeed.

I may disagree with others about things as well. Though I am trying hard to keep this prescient in my mind... That we may disagree about something does not make them a bad guy. That's just not true in a vast majority of cases. We just see things from a different prism. I try to be more judicious and mindful of what I type on here. I also try to remember that people on here are quite typically very, very intelligent and have lived a lot of life themselves too.

I also believe that typed words can EASILY be misread or misunderstood or misinterpreted. This type of medium is extremely easy to take things very, very badly very easily. That being thoughtful, judicious and careful about how I type things on here is exceptionally important.

Gebo... As you know we have a choice in this world how to handle circumstances. We can choose to become angry, embittered, and cling to our fallen nature's negative ways.

Or we can choose to treat others as we would like to be treated ourselves, we can choose to be good to others and willing to acknowledge what's positive and best about others as well. Even when we disagree with them on certain things. We can choose to agree with those others when they make a great post or bring up a very good point.

We... Just need to start humanizing others around us much more often. To live and let live. For us to be willing to give some grace and credit to each other.

I've been trying to get Shannow to move to Ontario, but so far no dice, lol ;) I figure he could work for OPG or Bruce Power, get into the nuke game :D

There are probably Canadian immigration laws prohibiting that but it would be great for him to get away from that dumpster fire he's dealing with. Keep on him. (y)

IMO, the reaction score shouldn't be a "fluff" score ... I don't think people who run this board want it to turn it into a social media popularity site.
Definitely don’t turn it into a social media site. It’s the opposite of those sites. Let’s keep it that way. I just want my score back so I feel important and it’s not fair I worked hard for the score nobody else got theirs reduced I have a feeling it’s mainly about favoritism.

There are probably Canadian immigration laws prohibiting that but it would be great for him to get away from that dumpster fire he's dealing with. Keep on him. (y)

Yeah, I'll have to start harassing him again. I know folks at both Bruce and OPG, Shannow's more than qualified to work for either operation, the pay is excellent and I agree, getting him away from that dumpster fire would be extremely healthy. Might be worth looking into the requirements or having a dialogue with one of my contacts if I can get him interested as to the immigration thing. We do have gas plants as well, so even if immigration makes working at a nuke a difficult prospect out the gate, he could do the gas plant gig initially.

Definitely don’t turn it into a social media site. It’s the opposite of those sites. Let’s keep it that way. I just want my score back so I feel important and it’s not fair I worked hard for the score nobody else got theirs reduced I have a feeling it’s mainly about favoritism.
There was apparently a reason otherwise it wouldn't have happened. Maybe it was because it seemed like a social media type of reaction score building. Did you ask why it was done?

It should be about the contribution of quality content, at least that's my perception of it. If somebody likes my post in a PM, that shouldn't pad my reaction score for example, but if I author up a thread on power generation (which I've done) that deserves to be recognized through that mechanism. It should simply be an indicator as to effort made to aide other members and provide material that benefits the collective.

The immigration thing was more of a joke, Steve is such a force of nature intellectually it would probably create a cosmic shift if he moved to Ontario!

I saw merit in it, lol, the nuke industry is a bit cagey, but yeah, he's brilliant and would be an asset to anyone that could have him.

There was apparently a reason otherwise it wouldn't have happened. Maybe it was because it seemed like a social media type of reaction score building. Did you ask why it was done?
Yes immediately because I was mad and still am. He said there is no way I could be ahead of everyone on BITOG. I haven’t been here long enough was what he said. Then he asked if anyone was giving me a lot of reactions and I said well a member that has since been banned did and he said he understood and I said occasionally my friend does but not as often as the banned member did. I’ve been getting reactions as long as everyone else has so it’s not right. It’s basically discrimination against me saying I can’t have the highest score because I haven’t been here long enough.

I just want my score back so I feel important and it’s not fair I worked hard for the score...

^You may want to reflect on this^ BTW I didn't know they were keeping score now I'm going to have to try and beat you and I'll cheat any way I can.

To quote a famous movie line: "Lighten up Francis!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back