I Used to Visit BITOG Daily

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm amazed at the number of people who go back and research posters to remind them they posted the same question 2 years ago.
They must be really, really bored.... 😁 Definitely have seen it happen far too many times too. Same with most of your other points too. People have mentioned that there are definitely a few long-time members who seem to be "untouchable" although I don't see them pushing things as much as in the past. Maybe they got a talking to ? (y)

You’re fine just as you are. Mr. Rogers said it best. I think what you are talking about is bullying. When someone can’t post for fear his opinion will result in an attack, it’s bullying. Bullies pick on people, intimidation.

You are not alone, friend, so please don't feel like you are. There are some really great guys here and there are some who are convinced everything that comes out of their mouth is incontrovertible. You do you, accept the constructive stuff, ignore the blowhards, and remember that 'never' and 'always' rarely apply to real world situations.

You've been here a long time Gebo!! I wonder if you're one of the original members? When did BITOG first launch?

I hope you consider me one of your friends too (y)

Gebo,

Your post will be a topic on our next moderator's call.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Wayne
Thanks! I appreciate your concern.

I'm a grown man in his 60's. Maybe a little short mentally but I do believe in respecting other people even if
I disagree with 90% of what they say. I confess, I have typed some goofy stuff here but it was all in fun.
Never tried to hurt anyone (as best as I can remember) although an infrequent beer or two can alter ones judgment.

For the record, all of you that have posted are not blocked ;)

There are times where I had to take a break from BITOG for a couple days even weeks because some of the mean comments and bashing would get so bad even though it did not affect me directly. Just had to remember that this is an internet forum and people have their right to post their opinion.

I've been here since 2007 and I still enjoy every bit of BITOG. Thanks to all the admins and mods for making this an enjoyable forum.

Yes, it has changed over the past few years...sadly.
There have been some changes, certainly. Some of my favourite posters (Doug Hillary and Shannow for example) no longer contribute at the level they once did. I have talked to Doug recently, he may try contributing more again. We of course also lost Gary Allen, which was tragic.

Garak, Johnny, Tom NJ...etc. I am sure we all have lists of folks to miss hearing from more regularly.

There have been some changes, certainly. Some of my favourite posters (Doug Hillary and Shannow for example) no longer contribute at the level they once did. I have talked to Doug recently, he may try contributing more again. We of course also lost Gary Allen, which was tragic.

Garak, Johnny, Tom NJ...etc. I am sure we all have lists of folks to miss hearing from more regularly.
BrocL was Mr Been There Done That !

For many years this was my absolute favorite forum. I would come here everyday. Sometimes multiple times in a day. I would ask
questions, answer questions, give my opinions, ask for opinions, etc. I don't know what has happened but I am nervous to even post anymore. Too
many people with too many issues. I've blocked a few of the meanest ones and that helped some.

Now I have resorted to mainly PM'ing my friends here and no longer posting in open forum. My last post had some other people making
comments and giving their opinion and some people started telling them they were wrong,..yada, yada. There can't be wrong opinions. Now,
there can be opinions you disagree with as I have many of those. I just get tired of all the nitpicking and criticism. I'm amazed at the number of
people who go back and research posters to remind them they posted the same question 2 years ago. I have never thought about doing that.
What goes through someone's mind to do that? I feel like I'm on trial when I come here and the jury has been rigged. It's a consistent 3-5
man jury that does the sentencing for most of us. It hurts me to see how some of you jurors/attorneys respond to people. In many ways, I feel
inadequate but I don't channel that frustration to other posters.

I'm not a cry baby. This is my opinion. IT ain't wrong.

This forum used to be fun.

ps. There are 6 of you that I consider friends. You know who you are and I ain't talking about you. I will always come to you with questions
looking for advice.
Gebo, I'm sorry to see you withdrawing - I'd noticed you hadn't been posting a lot lately, and had hoped you were just busy. I respect the work you do, both paid and unpaid, and the character you exhibit here.

Your concerns are valid, but overall this remains a really good forum. There were a couple of members who come to mind who seemed to take pleasure in putting others down, but they're both gone now.

I hope you'll reconsider. As well, if I've done anything offensive, please be aware it was unintentional, and I apologize. Some stuff that's intended to be humorous doesn't come across well in writing. Tone of voice carries something like 80% of the content in speech.

As well, I agree with the others who've said that the moderators do a great (and largely thankless) job of making BITOG as good as it is.

Gebo, we have chatted many times. We also live relatively close too. Hope I am one of your friends ( I think I am). I will do anything to help anybody but especially friends. I feel the same way about here recently I’ve been having some disagreements with members and been treated terrible and the ones who are rude usually don’t get any action taken against them from what I’ve seen. Also got my reaction score reduced too which I am extremely furious over still I’ve been having to vent a whole lot. I hesitate to ask any questions on the forum I normally ask a few members over PM to see what they think. I had honestly considered leaving but it’s the members who are helpful that bring me back and one mod who checks on me from time to time too he brings me back. It seems every time we post something that is our opinion people go off even if we clearly state it’s an opinion then those members attack still yet. When I first joined people were mean because I was a new member and stated something very true about a brand of oil and then they went off and I ended up getting a week off because I didn’t reply to warning messages which that was a lesson learned there that I need to respond to them. I want to stay part of the forum but we need those members to be controlled on what they say and the way they come across.
AutoMechanic, it's good to have you here. We need more young folks who aren't ancient fossils (like me). Please keep the posts coming - I enjoy them.

Gebo, I'm sorry to see you withdrawing - I'd noticed you hadn't been posting a lot lately, and had hoped you were just busy. I respect the work you do, both paid and unpaid, and the character you exhibit here.

Your concerns are valid, but overall this remains a really good forum. There were a couple of members who come to mind who seemed to take pleasure in putting others down, but they're both gone now.

I hope you'll reconsider. As well, if I've done anything offensive, please be aware it was unintentional, and I apologize. Some stuff that's intended to be humorous doesn't come across well in writing. Tone of voice carries something like 80% of the content in speech.

As well, I agree with the others who've said that the moderators do a great (and largely thankless) job of making BITOG as good as it is.

AutoMechanic, it's good to have you here. We need more young folks who aren't ancient fossils (like me). Please keep the posts coming - I enjoy them.
Thanks Number_35. I still get a good laugh out of that drawing you made for me and sloinker in the member picture thread. It was hilarious.

Indeed, Overkill!

Those were the days and certainly when I could sit back, read their constructive posts, and LEARN!

Thanks Number_35. I still get a good laugh out of that drawing you made for me and sloinker in the member picture thread. It was hilarious.
Maybe I should draw some of the other folks who have been brave enough to post photos of themselves. Or even more daringly, I could post a more recent photo of myself for y'all to chuckle over! ;)

Indeed, Overkill!

Those were the days and certainly when I could sit back, read their constructive posts, and LEARN!

Yes, Shannow went to absolutely incredible lengths delving into cold flow and bearing lubrication, the latter being his area of expertise. Doug's posting on oil analysis, fleet testing, tear-down testing, use of PCMO's in racing as well as OEM testing and approvals was priceless.

Indeed, I hated to see Jim Allen leave here for similar reasons. By and large I think most here are civil, but there are a few people who seem to take pleasure in pounding on newbies or who have a major in arrogance with a double minor in superiority and feel the need to mark trees.

Sadly, this forum is well moderated and yet I have ignored (either figuratively or literally) more people here than in lesser moderated forums. There are at least two here who shall remain nameless that create much more noise than adding to or creating a positive environment conducive to productive discussions.

Indeed, I hated to see Jim Allen leave here for similar reasons. By and large I think most here are civil, but there are a few people who seem to take pleasure in pounding on newbies or who have a major in arrogance with a double minor in superiority and feel the need to mark trees.

Sadly, this forum is well moderated and yet I have ignored (either figuratively or literally) more people here than in lesser moderated forums. There are at least two here who shall remain nameless that create much more noise than adding to or creating a positive environment conducive to productive discussions.

You and Rand are two of the American BITOG'ers I've met in real life, both experiences I cherish. We should have gone and harassed Clinebarger when we were in Dallas, lol, that would have been so worth it!

And yes, Jim is another great poster, the guy that first coined the "As thin as possible, as thick as necessary" mantra that became so popular on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back