I use 0W-20 in the Expedition and it has no issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here here. 99 Ford Expedition with about 155,000 miles on her. Changed the oil last month with some 0W-20 and a new oil filter. Oil pressure idiot light gauge did not change at all, and she runs smoothly. 5.4L V8 in the Eddie Bauer. Mix of driving, from short trips to between cities. And there are no conventional 0W-20s, they are all good and all at least mostly synthetic, IIRC.

Thoughts on this oil choice?

I'm lost. Why would the oil pressure light possibly come on from switching to 0w20 in a vehicle specced for 5w20? It isn't that different.

You didn't indicate what brand of 0W20 you used.

M1 0w20 meets Ford spec so if that's what you used, I wouldn't expect you to have any issues....that's assuming you used M1.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
You didn't indicate what brand of 0W20 you used.

M1 0w20 meets Ford spec so if that's what you used, I wouldn't expect you to have any issues....that's assuming you used M1.

I decided to be uncoventional and nonconformist, and used Royal Purple from the shelf at Wal-Mart, and a Royal Purple oil filter from an internet seller. I checked the bottle, and it is API SN and says Resource Conserving.

Nick1994, I was simply mentioning that there was no change.

I did not know 5W-20 was FF on a 1999 vehicle.

I used to be a believer in thicker oil. 40 or better. Then, I decided to give 30-grade a chance. Now, I am sold on the lightest possible, and have not yet found a car that acted badly on the thinnest oil I could reasonably get.

Well of course the gauge didn't move, it doesn't show anything other than "yep, there's oil pressure".

And your vehicle was back-spec'd for 5w-20, so no, I wouldn't expect there to be an issue either.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Well of course the gauge didn't move, it doesn't show anything other than "yep, there's oil pressure".

And your vehicle was back-spec'd for 5w-20, so no, I wouldn't expect there to be an issue either.

Hi OVERKILL! I see you have an 02 Expedition. Is yours the Eddie Bauer 5.4L as well?

I hadn't been seeing much difference in my 99 Taurus betwwen Mobil Super 5000 5w20 and Mobil Super Synthetic 0w20 until this morning. It was 8 degrees this morning. Hit the remote start and it fired right up like it was 80 and sunny.
I have liked the Mobil Super 0w20. Good deal at 24.99 with filter at AAP last month.

Last edited:
Just because the engine low oil pressure light doesn't come on and the engine make doesn't make any unusual noises doesn't mean that wear has not increased. Only a UOA will tell the story. Ed

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Hi OVERKILL! I see you have an 02 Expedition. Is yours the Eddie Bauer 5.4L as well?

Yup. Currently on PU 5w-30 (using up my stash).

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Just because the engine low oil pressure light doesn't come on and the engine make doesn't make any unusual noises doesn't mean that wear has not increased. Only a UOA will tell the story. Ed

No it won't. it'll tell him the condition of the oil.

How accurate is that low oil pressure light? I know a lot of manufacturers this light means Time to buy a new engine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
How accurate is that low oil pressure light? I know a lot of manufacturers this light means Time to buy a new engine
smile.gif

Probably kicks off the warning at below 10psi or something.

The 1999 5.4 engine is a 2 valve without cam phasers originally spec'd for 5w30 oil:

Capture.jpg

The oil pressure gauge is a dummy light with a needle. The sender is a switch that trips at 7psi and puts the needle in the middle of the gauge. I wouldn't rely on that as an indicator of proper pressure. I have the 3valve version of that engine in my 2009 and had very bad luck with TGMO recently (I know it's not Ford spec'd) with the cam phasers and timing components. Back to 5w30 oil and it's been perfect.

TGMO Post

I've got 0W20 right now in my 97 F150 with 4.6 and it has 260,000 miles, original block and internals. It uses less than 1/2qt in 5000 miles on it and it shows 25 PSI at idle per diagnostic gauge. I have used 0W20 oil for winter use in this truck for quite some time. No surprises here.

If the engine calls for 5W30, why not run 0W30? I would think as an engine ages, the thicker oil would be better for it. Thinner oil could lead to issues down the road, not right away.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
If the engine calls for 5W30, why not run 0W30? I would think as an engine ages, the thicker oil would be better for it. Thinner oil could lead to issues down the road, not right away.

As indicated before by a poster with a Ford.. It's a brave new world.

You say issues "over time." Such as?

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE

As indicated before by a poster with a Ford.. It's a brave new world.

You say issues "over time." Such as?

He is most likely going to be ok, but on an older vehicle with high miles, I would want a 30 weight oil over a thinner 20W oil to keep friction down to a minimum. I am not that brave. My owner's manual clearly states never to use any grade of oil other than 5W30 and in below freezing conditions to run a 0W30 grade oil.

In the summer when I tow the boat and ATV trailer a bunch, I use 0W40 or 5W40, but in the winter when I get off of work at the wee hours in the morning, I think a 0W20 better suits my needs. I drive easy in the winter as well.
The thing is, if you look at engine rebuild specs for a 4.6 2V modular with an iron block and splayed main bearing caps, the tolerances are the same throughout the years. That includes oil pump gear clearances. Regardless oil oil recommendation, the clearances are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back