I turned 48 today, at what age did you start to feel old?

I'll be 52 next month but it was my mid 40's when I started to really feel it. Slowly started to wean myself off risky outdoor activities that just flat out kicked my ass and could leave me crippled if I screwed up. Have been borderline pre-diabetic for a long time, all diet related, and it was causing most of my issues with general pain, inflammation, and slower recovery from anything basically. My diet is better, but still not great and got on the old man meds when I turned 50 (low dosage lisinopril, pravastatin, allopurinol, and metformin) and feel like my early 30's again. LOL

I'm 47. I think it was when I started waking up and discovering that sometimes my back didn't want to straighten out. Talked to my doc and she gave me some back exercises so I don't look like the hunchback of Notre Dame. OK, now I understand when my parents complained about their backs 😁

all my old injures returned at 48..... just before 50.

Knees, joints, back old broken bones,

From 50-54 its only a little worse- but steadily worse, recovery time from injury illness, endurance I still have approx the same strength as in my 30's but less endurance.

Last edited:
I’ll tell you what, I just crossed 40 not too long ago, and I’ve found that leaning over my car causes back pain the next day. Keeping legs fully limber, especially my calves, is harder than before.

I think it’s more the result of too much desk work, probably worse working from home…. But I suspect it’s coming.

Ive taken up swimming a few times a week to add to the activity level and get some full body movement. Love it.

Im only 28 and feel older than ever. Upon waking and taking my first steps out of bed it hurts my feet to walk. Neck and back pain also, though not severe. I certainly feel older than I should at 28.

Do you walk barefoot on hard wood or concrete floors? I spent a summer walking barefoot on stone floors, and it really did a number on my feet for a while.

Can also be plantar fasciitis. Part of what I want to prevent, thus my comment above about stretching calves. Look at calf stretching to help prevent it….

I felt a loss of strength at 50, then again at 55.

At 60, I decided to get myself in better shape (figured out I would be able to retire).
Lost ~ 70lbs. Walk about 4 miles every evening and try to ride my bike about the same.

Feel better now than I have in a while.
A lot of those ache and pains have gone away.

Going to retire end of Feb 22.
I'm 62 now.

I was in my early 50's when I went to get up off the sofa and made the same noise my Dad use to make, thats when I realized I was getting old. Then in my early 60's that 1 pain I had that traveled around my body turned into 2 then 3. Thats when I realized I had arrived.

I’ll be 44 in February-it kinda depends. My asthma is back- but I am also working out more and have lost 15 pounds so far. Have a few aches and pains, but they go away quick if I am moving around a bit….

Approaching 58 years on this Earth……..not that I feel old, but I am definitely losing strength. Replaced 2 front Calipers on the Jeep yesterday. The Caliper mounting bracket bolts call for a Torque value of 125 f/lbs. As I was tightening down on the torque wrench, It really took a lot of me to reach its value. Guess I have to eat more Spinach ✋😎🤚

(After typing this, I wondered how many of the youngIns’ will get the Spinach reference🤣)

At 45 I'm able to compensate for my increasing age by exercising harder but smarter and by living right. I'm stronger now than ever but a bit slower. Endurance is still great. No aches and pains, no arthritis or other conditions. No presbyopia - I still can still focus from infinity to 3 inches. Most of my coworkers around my age, most of whom are also pretty fit, need reading glasses and many complain about arthritis, even some who are only in their 30s.

I'm in my late 40s and single. I started feeling old when all the women I used to successfully hit on, stopped accepting my advances a few years ago. :(

For all the abuse my body has taken, I'm in remarkable good shape. Former collegiate athlete, Army vet and paratrooper, combat vet, very heavy drinker, and terrible diet. I would think I should be near death... But I'm actually physically doing okay. For now...

I'm in my 40's and I'm doing stuff in the gym that most young people are scared of doing.With that said, recovery is much slower 😅

I'm amazed at my dad. He is 83. He was under his 04 silverado, changing the rear shocks. He did have to call me to compress the shocks so he could get the bottom bolt in. But at his age, he though nothing of taking the rear wheels off, putting the truck on jackstands, and had the new shocks on except for the bottom bolts.

He does not seem to act old.

For me it was when I turned 42. After breakfast I got up from a chair and had a burning sensation in my lower back. As the day went on it got worse and worse. After putting up with it for a few days I went to a doctor and found out I had a blown out disc. Went through surgery and my back has never been the same . Busted the same disc 2 years later. It has all been down hill since then.

Back