I took the plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered from the Redline sponsor 12qts of Redline 5w-30. With winter coming up, I figured I'd go with the 5w. My engine is very clean and I am even going to run a few remaining ounces of Rx at the end of this 0w-20 run. So the "Redline is cleaning" up excuse won't fly in my car.
grin.gif
I was looking over their webpage and from what the experts on here have said, it looks like a great oil. From the base oil to the additive package, this oil is built extremely well. Hope it works.

Excellent, I'm looking forward to the UOAs! I too was very close to running this oil in my wife's car until I decided to continue testing the Royal Purple a bit longer.

quote:

Excellent, I'm looking forward to the UOAs! I too was very close to running this oil in my wife's car until I decided to continue testing the Royal Purple a bit longer.

Me too. If it shows excellent results, this is the oil I will run in the future in my next car and stick with for good. Looking at the specs, it's clearly a cut above the rest. I will even run it in a Jeep if that is what I decide on getting. I think it would be a good choice actually. I'm thinking of running the 0w-20 to maybe 4-5K and then running Redline. Redline I will take further bc I need to get my money's worth with this stuff, being it's quite expensive. I think though if your going to go with the "high end" expensive synlubes, you might as well go all the way with Redline.
smile.gif

I've not been able to get really excited about Redline, so I look forward to some more UOAs; what I would really like to see is a number of UOAs in the same vehicle back-to-back-to-back and for at least 5K mile intervals. Am awaiting the results...

pscholte, I am probably going to run Redline for a while to see how it does long term( at least 3-4 OCI). I normly drive about 1000 miles a month. I only drive the vechile dureing good weather. It is the wife and kids car dureing winter. So all of my UOA will be done dureing warm weather. I am guessing that she will be lucky to put 1500 miles on the car dureing all of winter!

buster, I too recently ordered from the RL site
sponsor. RL does not shear at all so what ever weight you go with will still be that weight or thicker by the time your done!

I hope it works well for you. I ordered the 5W40. I am useing the first OCI with it as a cleaning OCI. Seeing how my first OCI with RL is going to be dureing the winter I am not going to UOA the first OCI. I too am not going to buy the cleaning thing that much as my car has less then 4000 miles. Not a lot of build up to be removed. We will see how it does on UOA.

offtopic.gif
I am glad that you and I can disagree and niether of us takes it personely. I like some of the debates we get into!! SO thanks for not looseing site of the fact that these are debtes not fueds. I never take any of your posts personely!!
cheers.gif

[ September 21, 2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

quote:

I am glad that you and I can disagree and niether of us takes it personely. I like some of the debates we get into!! SO thanks for not looseing site of the fact that these are debtes not fueds. I never take any of your posts personely!!

John, if this is in reference to me, I don't take them personally. I might come off strong at times, but thats the Italian in me.
grin.gif
I enjoy the disagreements on this site. I'm very opened minded and like to learn from others. I myself am probably one of the LEAST knowlegdable here on cars/engines so it's a pleasure being able to get such great information from the people that contribute to the site. I try and call it like I see it. So thanks to you to.
cheers.gif

As far as Redline goes, I'm looking forward to it. Pscholte, after my run of M1 0w-20 I will be running the first sample of Redline to about 5k and taking a sample. I have a Fumoto drain valve so I will not be draining completely. Stuff is too expensive!! I do think this oil will do well in my car.
cheers.gif

[ September 21, 2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

buster I ran RL 5W30 after D1 with RX and the oil darkened quickly. To me this says cleaning was occuring. BUT I ran the old RX std 500-miles with the D1 which we now know isn't long enough by half. If you have done the new std 1500-mile RX clean your RL may stay clean a lot longer. I'm interested in the results anyway..s

quote:

buster I ran RL 5W30 after D1 with RX and the oil darkened quickly. To me this says cleaning was occuring. BUT I ran the old RX std 500-miles with the D1 which we now know isn't long enough by half. If you have done the new std 1500-mile RX clean your RL may stay clean a lot longer. I'm interested in the results anyway..s

Thanks sprintman, I'll keep that in mind. What I might do then is add Rx to the 0w-20 after I take a sample and run it for 1,500 miles then.

One other thing that should be noted, I went back and looked at the VOA section and if some of bottles I use show 4ppm of iron or lead, it will skew results. If for example I had 4qts with 2-4ppm of iron, then my results would have iron numbers 6-16ppm higher. It seems Redline's VOA's weren't as clean as they should be and showed some wear metals from the get go.

RL has worked well for me in my Acura SLX badged, Isuzu 3.5L DOHC engine. There are few oils that I would risk leaving in for 8K under Moab 4X4 conditions. My wear numbers are available on this board.
The greatest problem has been getting the oil. Now that we have an RL sponsor life should be easier. Also, in my engine there is little oil loss with RL.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
One other thing that should be noted, I went back and looked at the VOA section and if some of bottles I use show 4ppm of iron or lead, it will skew results. If for example I had 4qts with 2-4ppm of iron, then my results would have iron numbers 6-16ppm higher. It seems Redline's VOA's weren't as clean as they should be and showed some wear metals from the get go.

Buster,
AFAIK, if you have a quart with 4PPM of iron, add another quart with 4PPM, you have 2 quarts with 4PPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back